18 lx570 AHC leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys,

I'm new to forums and have started to learn about ahc. My car is a 2018 lx570 with 50k miles on it.
Last month when I do my inspection, the dealer informed me my front suspension is leaking and needed to be changed. the price is sky-high and scares shxxt of me. I found some information on the forum and found the absorbers are cheap maybe 200$ each so I decided to do it myself. change it bleed it and refill.

The AHC right now has no issue and works fine. but I checked the fluid reservoir, the fluid is a little low at normal height and full at low height but there seems to be no fluid when the vehicle is at high.

I'm wondering is it normal cause I learned that AHC is a hydraulic system and will have oil vaping and companion? If it's not, how bad my system look?
And how does the absorber look? is it ok for me to drive another half year to change? (too cold right not at the north east)

Thanks a lot for your advice!
80a9c11a55b6bb819716f671b9dbe97.jpg
e23a087148a45c87d25188a2625b4e9.jpg

049663539154abd971369ba3bb12fd1.jpg

15d501573134195b06fc1055f3bbce5.jpg

Welcome to Mud! I'll let the others chime in on AHC nerd info.

My first move would be getting more fluid in that reservoir to prevent the pump being exposed to air in high mode. If you did have a slow leak somewhere in the system, there isn't a lot of margin left in that tank. The reservoir can hold a lot of fluid, so don't hesitate to go above the Max line when in low. I think I filled mine up to the plastic seam in Low mode.

If the reservoir runs dry and the pump is exposed to air, you'll introduce a whole mess of problems that will need to be undone. Adding fluid is cheap insurance. Do not buy the 1L plastic jugs. You need to stick with the Metal 2.5L cans - Part # 08886-01805. Check to see if your local Toyota or Lexus dealer carries this.

Welcome to Mud! I'll let the others chime in on AHC nerd info.

My first move would be getting more fluid in that reservoir to prevent the pump being exposed to air in high mode. If you did have a slow leak somewhere in the system, there isn't a lot of margin left in that tank. The reservoir can hold a lot of fluid, so don't hesitate to go above the Max line when in low. I think I filled mine up to the plastic seam in Low mode.

If the reservoir runs dry and the pump is exposed to air, you'll introduce a whole mess of problems that will need to be undone. Adding fluid is cheap insurance. Do not buy the 1L plastic jugs. You need to stick with the Metal 2.5L cans - Part # 08886-01805. Check to see if your local Toyota or Lexus dealer carries this.
Thank you Trudd!
I just placed an order on eBay to get two metal cans of fluid. And will do a flush once I get it.
I inspected the bottom of the car last year before I put fluid film on it, really cannot recall there is any leak on the bottom of the car. I suppose it's the absorber leaking the oil.
Really not expect the LX to start to have this kind of issue when it's only 50k miles on it and hasn't eaten mud the whole life, except for some salt on the road .

Doesn't help you now but weeping shocks isn't a big deal with AHC. I drove mine for like 30k miles with all 4 being wet. There is so much fluid volume that it's not a big deal and in my case didn't really degrade damping as most of that happens in the accumulators. Agree on others, start by just adding more fluid.

Thank you Trudd!
I just placed an order on eBay to get two metal cans of fluid. And will do a flush once I get it.
I inspected the bottom of the car last year before I put fluid film on it, really cannot recall there is any leak on the bottom of the car. I suppose it's the absorber leaking the oil.
Really not expect the LX to start to have this kind of issue when it's only 50k miles on it and hasn't eaten mud the whole life, except for some salt on the road .

Yeah there have been a range of experiences/opinions about the haphazard "weeping shock" diagnosis from dealers. Good on you for jumping in and learning about the system!

The bigger concern long term, as others have experienced in the past, is corrosion on your AHC lines. That seems to be the leading cause of catastrophic failure I've seen on here.

Doesn't help you now but weeping shocks isn't a big deal with AHC. I drove mine for like 30k miles with all 4 being wet. There is so much fluid volume that it's not a big deal and in my case didn't really degrade damping as most of that happens in the accumulators. Agree on others, start by just adding more fluid.
Thanks for sharing! I think I'll keep driving and do a flush when the fluid comes.
Yeah there have been a range of experiences/opinions about the haphazard "weeping shock" diagnosis from dealers. Good on you for jumping in and learning about the system!

The bigger concern long term, as others have experienced in the past, is corrosion on your AHC lines. That seems to be the leading cause of catastrophic failure I've seen on here.
Ture. But corrosion seesm inevitable up here in salt belt. I started to put oil undercoating under the truck, seems my truck only lower parts have some rust(the lower control arm bottom of the frame accumulators) other parts and lines that hang higher are all clean.
I'm moving back to CA in 3 or 4yesrs, so I hope ACH can hold till that time and then the truck can enjoy the sunshine and live forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom