2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Questions for you:
  • What is the actual size of the rear door speakers? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere...even Crutchfield doesn't show any speakers as being compatible.
  • Are you putting your amp in the same location as the ML amp? And is the sub box just a simple cube, or is it a custom build?
I had the same experience as you on aliexpress -- the day after I bought the unit from ZWNav (who had good ratings), it was listed at the exact same URL by Autostereo. I get the sense that ZhiFang is the parent company of all the different sellers, and they just cycle through new names as the others get bogged down by poor ratings. I understand that there's a cultural and language barrier, but it seems to me that they'd be well served to hire a couple of native English speakers to handle customer service for US/CA/UK/AU/etc. I've had some extremely frustrating moments trying to communicate with them after the sale.

Rear door speakers look like 5" components. Didn't measure them, but pretty dang close.
IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

Spent about an hour making an adapter for the 6.5" with the ML rear mounts, but the woofer wouldn't clear the door trim (too deep). So, I ended up making new brackets with 1/2" UHMW plastic sheet.

I was impressed by the size of the magnets on the original 5" rear speakers. They dwarf the size of the magnets on the origianl 6.5" ML component front speakers. Here is what the old rear door ML and new alpine 2 ways look like.
IMG_5073.jpg

I'll try to get a pic of the rear door 6.5" installed tonight. They're a little tight, but I think they look sweet! Front 6.5" components went in pretty easy.

The 4 channel amp is planned to go under the passenger front seat. Hopefully in the same spot as the ML original amp. I removed the ML amp, a DVD player and found a "Parking Assist Computer" under all those. Not sure what the heck that's doing.

The subwoofer is in a trapezoidal box with quick connects. The amp is bolted to the back of the box for quick removal. I just need to remember to pull out the 60amp aftermarket amp fuse at the battery before pulling it out. I have heard of guys pullout our the rear bed trim and fiberglassing in subs to the side of the rear bed, but that is pretty custom.

Yep, 5" sounds right, although yours are down to about 4.5" thanks to the rot. Thanks for the pictures -- those rear magnets are definitely bigger than anything I've seen in an OEM system. I'll probably settle for 5.25" coaxials back there because I don't have the space or materials to fabricate anything at the moment. I need to be able to do it in an apartment complex parking garage.

Looks like the Parking Assist Computer is part of the factory rear camera system; it also interfaces with a steering sensor, so if you start noticing weirdness in your steering after this, you may want to reconnect it.

Here’s what the new 6.5” rear door speakers look like after making the new mounting brackets out of half inch plastic sheet
93FAF8EC-DE19-4371-B609-FD37417A35BC.jpeg

B0490349-CCA0-4F7C-9CE2-F86E2C254021.jpeg

There’s approximately 1/4 inch space between the woofer foam and the door panel.

Re: Carplay (and Android Auto)

You'll need to try to sideload an APK into the head unit to see if it will install. If it does install, then the USB dongle should work. Most of the sellers have instructions on what to download and how but i can provide instructions too. I have a dongle arriving today from Amazon that I'm testing. I have both an iPhone and Android phone so I'll update with results.

I also have a terrible ground buzz from the speakers and will probably have to go aftermarket for amp, etc.

It turns out Carplay/Android Auto are built in, at least on the unit I got. "Car Auto" is the app, which appears to actually be zLink, a software based emulator. I only managed to test Android and will test CarPlay tomorrow.

IMG_20190910_211849.jpg

@BigLittle et al., I'm super excited to see the '04 LX install progress. Nice work!! This option is getting too tempting to resist...

Last edited:
Here’s what the new 6.5” rear door speakers look like after making the new mounting brackets out of half inch plastic sheet
View attachment 2080264
View attachment 2080265
There’s approximately 1/4 inch space between the woofer foam and the door panel.
Looks great. If you have a sudden urge to cut an extra set, you just let me know. I'm sure I can find someone to take it off your hands.

This is the writeup that I used to replace all my door speakers and the factory sub:

Hi Guys! As normally happens, we've strayed a little bit past the original thread's topic. Lots of good info here, but we're mostly talking mods and upgrades away from the 2003 LC install. I created a general ZhiFang 12.1" Android radio topic thread to try to keep the version specific install threads clean. Let me know if you want to jump in there.

LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions

I can only speak to my personal experience in my 2006 LX470, because I get the sense that certain years and systems might need to be fiddled with more than others. For me, upgrading from factory to this unit didn't require any splicing and I've had no issues with the factory amp or rear AC.
what about 2006 LC, will it be the same as the 06 LX470 install?

Anyone on here who installed the Tesla unit looking to sell their oem radio (lower half below MFD)? If so, please PM me.

Last edited:
i have a tesla style screen thats been working perfect, however ive just come back from holiday to a totally flat battery,i charged up and car started first time.however the radio has no sound ,anybody got any ideas ,all the screen settings seem fine.i did think amp failure or fuse but that would seem odd and fuses ok. could the amp just fail and if so any suggestions for replacement

i have a tesla style screen thats been working perfect, however ive just come back from holiday to a totally flat battery,i charged up and car started first time.however the radio has no sound ,anybody got any ideas ,all the screen settings seem fine.i did think amp failure or fuse but that would seem odd and fuses ok. could the amp just fail and if so any suggestions for replacement
Update ive just reinstalled old radio and all is well so the fault is in the tesla screen ive looked at all the settings to no avail ,any help would be appreciated

@mistered123 Still working fine? If you ordered it today anything you’d change? Been waiting to get done with some other projects before going after this one. It sounds like PX6 is the slightly newer version and maybe the way to go. I have a 2003 as well so thank you for the in depth write up.

@mistered123 Still working fine? If you ordered it today anything you’d change? Been waiting to get done with some other projects before going after this one. It sounds like PX6 is the slightly newer version and maybe the way to go. I have a 2003 as well so thank you for the in depth write up.

Still working great. If I did it all over again, I would've installed a back-up camera, but that can still be added. Every once in a while it freezes and needs to be rebooted (there's a little pin-hole button on the front), but other than that, it's very reliable.

Last edited:
Still working great. If I did it all over again, I would've installed a back-up camera, but that can still be added. Every one in a while it freezes and needs to be rebooted (there's a little pin-hole button on the front), but other than that, it's very reliable.

Now I have to go look up cameras

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom