2003 LC Tesla Screen Install Write-Up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got one delivered today. May try initial install this weekend. Was a little leery on the specs for the PX6. Hopefully its really Android 8.1 and 4G RAM and 64G ROM. As long as I can get it working I’m ok being a guiney pig.

The ZF-1301S is the quad core. This one is marked ZF-1301X. We will see.

Got mine today too (also in Atlanta). Same specs as yours, but I got the 32GB ROM version since most of my storage will be on a USB hard drive.

I'm in the middle of packing up to move and have to travel for work next week, so it may be a few days before I get around to doing mine. Keep us posted if you get started.

What part of town are you in?

Try going into the File Manager app on the radio. There is a menu button on the left side that will allow you to select the USB source instead of the default "SD card" source. If you're still having problems, I will try to take a couple of screen shots to show you what I mean.
LOL can't find the USB source in the file manager - Can you post pics?

Got mine today too (also in Atlanta). Same specs as yours, but I got the 32GB ROM version since most of my storage will be on a USB hard drive.

@Ell Ex - what year is your LX? following closely!

Partly thru the newest 6 core install. So far looks promising. Waiting for my new amp to come in but it powers up and AC works good. Says PX6 on the home screen and system info says 64G and Android 8.1.

Trying to create an install guide so it’s taking longer than I’d prefer. I’ve got a 2004 LX so I’ll probably start a new thread once I’m far enough along.

More to come...

E4732B92-050F-4235-8FAF-EFBF44374745.jpeg

AAD57A88-6F42-4F1C-B40C-071A5A9E24F1.jpeg

A8E0C3AC-806E-4AA1-99FD-33A1670AC716.jpeg

B05838A8-CD55-405A-96BA-BEE2A1666147.jpeg

Good news -- I managed to get the new PX6/Android 8.1 unit installed in my 2006 LX470 tonight. All of the harnesses were an exact match from the PX3/Android 6.0 unit that had been installed, so this time it was really just a matter of transferring the OEM black box over to the new radio and swapping the vents/buttons from the grey plastic side panels that came with the PX3 to the faux-cherry burl wood side panels that came with the PX6 unit. (They're a big improvement.)

Happy to report that all speakers and the subwoofer work perfectly; a rousing success all around. The PX6 is also blazingly fast compared to the decade-old PX3, which is over-matched by nearly all of today's "staple" apps like Waze, and pretty much all streaming video. If you're considering buying a PX3 unit to save a few bucks, don't. You will regret it immediately.

Anyway, here's a brief rundown of my initial impressions of the PX6 head unit; happy to get additional specific shots, if requested:

tl;dr - buy one.

Last edited:
Good news -- I managed to get the new PX6/Android 8.1 unit installed in my 2006 LX470 tonight. All of the harnesses were an exact match from the PX3/Android 6.0 unit that had been installed, so this time it was really just a matter of transferring the OEM black box over to the new radio and swapping the vents/buttons from the grey plastic side panels that came with the PX3 to the faux-cherry burl wood side panels that came with the PX6 unit. (They're a big improvement.)

Happy to report that all speakers and the subwoofer work perfectly; a rousing success all around. The PX6 is also blazingly fast compared to the decade-old PX3, which is over-matched by nearly all of today's "staple" apps like Waze, and pretty much all streaming video. If you're considering buying a PX3 unit to save a few bucks, don't. You will regret it immediately.

Anyway, here's a brief rundown of my initial impressions of the PX6 head unit; happy to get additional specific shots, if requested:

tl;dr - buy one.

Thanks for this. I think the radio is awesome. I have been trying to find tutorials on downloading and installing apps for android radio's without much success. I am an Apple guy and the OS for android seems clunky. Do you have any resources on how to download and install the apps you mentioned onto the radio?

Thanks for this. I think the radio is awesome. I have been trying to find tutorials on downloading and installing apps for android radio's without much success. I am an Apple guy and the OS for android seems clunky. Do you have any resources on how to download and install the apps you mentioned onto the radio?

The Android OS itself isn't clunky, but this particular build does have a few quirks that will take some getting used to. The primary difference you'll notice between your Android and Apple stuff is that the Android device will be more "tweakable" in terms of settings. That can be a good thing if you like to tinker, or it can be a bit overwhelming if you don't. Either way, there's a learning curve for this device, but nothing a few hours behind the wheel can't solve.

In order to install apps on your radio, you need to go to the Google Play store. The radio has it pre-installed, so once you're signed in you should be able to download any app you want. I'm assuming you already have a Google account, either through GMail or one of the many other services they use to control our thoughts. If you don't have a Google account, you'll need to set one up. (You'll also need to make sure the radio has a wifi connection, but duh.)

Here are links to a few of the apps I've installed. I have to back off of my Poweramp recommendation due to issues with screen dimensions; some of the controls are covered up by the HVAC panel at the bottom of the screen and I haven't figured out a way around it yet. But VLC fits the screen perfectly. It also plays video files.

Last edited:
That’s awesome @Ell Ex . Good news for 06LX owners like me who wants to go for tesla style head units. Do you have a link for that source where you got that new and improved unit? Thanks!

That’s awesome @Ell Ex . Good news for 06LX owners like me who wants to go for tesla style head units. Do you have a link for that source where you got that new and improved unit? Thanks!
I got mine on AliExpress. This seller is also the manufacturer, from what I can tell:

This is looking very promising guys, good work!!

LOL can't find the USB source in the file manager - Can you post pics?
This is a shot of the newer version, which is a bit different from the units running Android 6. If you have a USB drive connected, when you go to File Manager you should see it on the left-hand margin (mine is labeled "MEDIA"). You may need to scroll down a bit to find it, depending on which version you have.

1567233941776.png

Thinking of upgrading my unit to the newer, faster one. Would anyone be interested in picking up my old unit? I would send it with all the cabling from the new unit.

This is a shot of the newer version, which is a bit different from the units running Android 6. If you have a USB drive connected, when you go to File Manager you should see it on the left-hand margin (mine is labeled "MEDIA"). You may need to scroll down a bit to find it, depending on which version you have.

View attachment 2071796
Thanks. Got if figured out. I did download the car launcher pro app . It's a great app. Also downloaded aimp , but I prefer the music player installed with the radio because the volume control on the steering wheel works with it. I can't seem to find the name of the app they are using for music that is installed with the radio so I can use the shortcut on the car launcher. Thanks again for all the great info you posted!

Last edited:
@Ell Ex So the new PX6 version is plug and play? No splicing for nav and no issues with factory amp or rear AC?
I can only speak to my personal experience in my 2006 LX470, because I get the sense that certain years and systems might need to be fiddled with more than others. For me, upgrading from factory to this unit didn't require any splicing and I've had no issues with the factory amp or rear AC.

I can only speak to my personal experience in my 2006 LX470, because I get the sense that certain years and systems might need to be fiddled with more than others. For me, upgrading from factory to this unit didn't require any splicing and I've had no issues with the factory amp or rear AC.

I have an 07 LX so should be the same as yours.

Quick update: I've had to abandon Poweramp for music files. Unfortunately, it does not scale properly for this screen, and no workaround exists.

But the good news is that it turns out VLC Player is far superior to Poweramp in every way -- I use it now as both my default music player and default video player, and it works like it was designed specifically for this radio. Highly, highly recommended. Here's a link to it on the Google Play store:

Thank you so much for all of this info @Ell Ex. Definetley buying one now. Time to look for OEM side vents although what they gave you isnt too bad 😮

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom