Builds 2002 HZJ76 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might I suggest @c2dfj45 hood strut kits. You’ll never use that prop rod again. 😊
We've got them in stock AND we'll be bringing a few to the 70s event for anyone that wants one there.

We've got them in stock AND we'll be bringing a few to the 70s event for anyone that wants one there.
It’s nice to push with just one hand and stand back and watch the magic. 😊

It’s nice to push with just one hand and stand back and watch the magic. 😊
This was actually in the back of my mind as one of those "nice to haves" jobs down the road. I had no idea that we had an in-house vendor that already has done the homework of figuring out the wieghts and struts to use! Good info! Thanks for that @GunRunner and @c2dfj45

Unfortunately, the 70's event is a bit of a hike for me, AND it is also happening at the same time as my yearly Search and Rescue extravaganza. A few (usually around 4) of us from SAR load up and spend 1 1/2 - 2 weeks way off in the mountains exploring and camping, checking out old prospector sites, defunct mines, and generally just seeing what's over in the next valley... :clap:

I will come back to this info though when I decide I get tired of opening the hood myself! :cheers:

This was actually in the back of my mind as one of those "nice to haves" jobs down the road. I had no idea that we had an in-house vendor that already has done the homework of figuring out the wieghts and struts to use! Good info! Thanks for that @GunRunner and @c2dfj45

Unfortunately, the 70's event is a bit of a hike for me, AND it is also happening at the same time as my yearly Search and Rescue extravaganza. A few (usually around 4) of us from SAR load up and spend 1 1/2 - 2 weeks way off in the mountains exploring and camping, checking out old prospector sites, defunct mines, and generally just seeing what's over in the next valley... :clap:

I will come back to this info though when I decide I get tired of opening the hood myself! :cheers:
I also see it as a safety feature of sorts. If the hood prop fails someone is going to get whacked. That’s not the case with the struts unless both fail at the same time which in my opinion is highly unlikely. 😊

We can ship these when it's go-time :)

20210326_153944.jpeg

PSSSSST! 🤫

(They are almost here!)
20210820_104751[1].jpg

🤭
One month turn-around from down-under (does that make us "up-over"?) does not seem too bad considering it is sent via post...

I am getting ready to seal up the new back door hinges in prep for the ones that have developed some play... if you do not look after it, you end up replacing latches and mechanisms as well. Too bad you can't rebuild these like the old ones. Still, if these last another 20years, I will be happy. Though I doubt this cruiser ever really saw anything off pavement...
20210820_105421[1].jpg

I doubt I am going to get a chance to pull the doors and tear into them to replace these when they are ready, as this weekend I am re-grouting about 250-300sq-ft of tile. 😟🥺 bleh...

Wonderful thread mate! It's given me enough inspo to buy my old HZJ77 back (see picture).

Keep up the good work!

View attachment 2765239
Thanks @WildSouth! I am glad you liked it and it helped bring some sense to you that you should never have let that beauty go! Lol ;)

It's rare that you get an opportunity like that to get something back that you realized you should never have let go, I am glad you had such an opportunity and jumped on it. :clap:

Maybe there is some hope for you yet @Gun Runner 5 ! :bang::rofl:

Ok, so the tile re-grout job ended up being bigger than I expected... (sounds like a Land Cruiser project! 🤣 ) and I discovered the reason the tiles needed re-grouting in the first place. I ended up pulling most of the floor (tiles were loose) and cleaning it all up and re-mortaring the tiles down. Still need to re-grout...

However, when I got tired of working on that, I would worked on the Cruiser for a "break". The injectors finally arrived from AU!

20210823_100733[1].jpg

20210823_130115[1].jpg

Loosening the holders for all the injection lines was enough to make room to work on the injectors. From there is was fairly straight forward to remove the overflow/return, and the injectors themselves.

20210823_130112[1].jpg

20210823_133738[1].jpg

The nice thing, is the new injectors came with the crush washers, so the set of washers I already grabbed for rebuilding the old injectors, I can still use should I decide to rebuild my old injectors down the road. Don't forget to remove the old crush washers prior to dropping the new ones in before installing the new injectors. This was relatively straight forward until you get to the last 2 cylinders... then you have to get creative with a phone or mirror so you can see what you are doing. Unless you want to remove the hood.

My magnetic pickup tool was small enough to fit into the larger opening, but failed to pickup the old crush washer, so I needed to create something else to get them out. I used one of those "curiously strong magnets" to lift out the old washers

20210823_145817[1].jpg

20210823_145936[1].jpg

A shot of the injector hole of the last cylinder... new crush washer dropped in place. I needed to verify the crush washer was inserted correctly prior to installing the last injector.

20210823_151747[1].jpg

Fired the beast up after install, and took it for a test run. The EGT's take slightly longer to get up to 1200+ F and the lower end power seems better and smoother. I will drive it as is for a bit to get a better feel for the performance. If I find the EGT's are still quite high on longer pulls, I will advance the IP timing a bit to see if that helps. This will just become a "what feels and performs best" through trial and error as I may end up advancing the timing slightly outside of spec now that this engine is turboed.

But that will be a tale for another day... based on how it drives over the next while. AND, I have a nearly 2 week trip planned starting next week! :bounce2::clap:

Those back two were a PITA, eh? On the furthest one back I dropped the washer down on top of the transmission somewhere. I felt like I was mining for Bitcoin as I dragged my extendable magnet back and forth blindly... 😂 But lo and behold I got lucky and came up with it! 😲

I like your bespoke picker upper thingy. Fancy...

I'll be curious if your fuel returns change...

Those back two were a PITA, eh? On the furthest one back I dropped the washer down on top of the transmission somewhere. I felt like I was mining for Bitcoin as I dragged my extendable magnet back and forth blindly... 😂 But lo and behold I got lucky and came up with it! 😲

I like your bespoke picker upper thingy. Fancy...

I'll be curious if your fuel returns change...
Doh! I can feel your pain on dropping items of need and the anxiety of where in the Cruiser it could be when you don't hear it hit the floor! 😜

I will be sure to report back on mileage and behavior... though I will be long gone for a while... no cell service, no internet, no people, no problem. 🏕️🚙

Spent today getting the ATV loaded, camping gear loaded, stuff tied down, buttoned up, getting groceries, packing up, hooking up, fed up, break, then getting closer to finished up!

Just need to put all the to-be-kept-cold stuff in the ICECO fridge, and head out first thing tomorrow morning for the 2-week trip in the back-country! I will try to remember to take pictures!

20210831_161015[1].jpg

If all goes according to plan and I do not get lost, eaten, or worse, I will be posting some trip pics around the middle of September! 😃

Spent today getting the ATV loaded, camping gear loaded, stuff tied down, buttoned up, getting groceries, packing up, hooking up, fed up, break, then getting closer to finished up!

Just need to put all the to-be-kept-cold stuff in the ICECO fridge, and head out first thing tomorrow morning for the 2-week trip in the back-country! I will try to remember to take pictures!

View attachment 2774273

If all goes according to plan and I do not get lost, eaten, or worse, I will be posting some trip pics around the middle of September! 😃
What a trip! Have fun, and don't get TOO lost. Hopefully you're getting some rain to help with smoke dissipation.

And remember. Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Ok, better late than never!

The trip out went well, getting around 13mpg US/almost 16mpg imp pulling ~2750lbs on very twisty, hilly terrain. It was better mileage than I thought I would get. I was pushing the motor and turbo to max EGT's constantly. There was plenty more power left in the pedal, but I did not let the EGT's go beyond 11-1200F. I see an intercooler project in the future when I can save enough to put one on order. General consensus shows they tend to reduce EGT's by an average of 200F.

The first leg of our sojourn was to setup camp just past the historic town of Sandon, BC at the base of Mt Cody. Here is a couple of pics of the road on the way in (past Sandon a couple of kms and up about another 1000ft:

20210901_123857.jpg

20210901_123754.jpg

20210901_123740.jpg

We selected a campsite along the road by the creek at a level spot at the base of the mountain before it begins to climb in earnest to the historic Cody mine. Across the creek from where we camped was the initial processing plant for the rough ore they would bring down from the mine.
20210906_182008.jpg

20210901_160720.jpg

In the background of the last pic, you an see what looks like an old house. This was actually a train station, and the train had a big turn around (to the right behind the trees) and headed back down the mountain, past Sandon, then on to Kaslo - where they would send the (pre)processed ore for final processing.

Our camp was at around 16-1700ft, so a little chilly at night on the clear nights - I was thankful I put in the measly R5 in the trailer.

We wasted no time in heading up the old roads and trails to explore the area and the many mines. Some entrances are simply other openings for the same mine. We found the main Cody mine site in the higher altitudes.

20210902_122528.jpg

The main entrance was mostly caved in:
20210903_144112.jpg

about 150ft across from the mine, there was a very wide set of stairs, made from solid logs that was still partially intact. These stairs led to the main upper mine office, and likely residence of the foreman:
20210903_145740.jpg

All that is left of the mine office:
20210903_144322.jpg

This was the site a little further down the hill from the Mine office that appears to be the large bunkhouse, and kitchen for the workers. There was a dugout at the top right of the collapsed structure that looked to be their coldroom/storage.
20210903_144550.jpg

An old bedframe under the collapsed structure (yes, I checked it for bones, but thankfully it appeared to be empty when the building collasped 😜):
20210903_144649.jpg

Further past this mine, we went down into the next valley, and found an old prospectors cabin in remarkably good condition considering its age!
20210903_125107.jpg

You can see the bottom logs in contact with the ground are basically disintegrating, and someone put metal sheeting on the roof over the ancient cedar shakes.
20210903_125119.jpg

Inside it does not look like much, but in the wintertime this would be a godsend to anyone up there broken down and in need of shelter. There was a ready supply of firewood on the front porch.
20210903_125255.jpg

Someone tied up the bedroll to keep critters out of it but it didn't seem to help much...
20210903_125140.jpg

I will post more pics soon of our adventures, findings, etc... stay tuned!

Prospectors know stuff! Looks like an amazing trip and location. Was that a gold mine or other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom