2000 Lx470 Transmission failure in under less than 115 K. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The transmission on my vehicle failed yesterday. It is 2000 Lx470 and is in a very good condition. I have this vehicle for over 13 years. I just learned that this year model has some design and component issues which cause it to break prematurely.
I need some help/advice in deciding how to go about solving the transmission issue.

1) Shall I replace it with re-manufactured transmission, buy a used one, or have it rebuild. If I have the existing transmission rebuild, will I run into same tranmission failure problem in near future.
2) Can I replace the transmission existing 4-speed A343F with 5-speed A750F which is available in 2003 -2007 lx 470.
3) Shall I just sell it as it. I am afraid that I will get a lot less than what its worth by selling with the failed transmission.

Please advise
Anyone knows good and reasonably prices transmission repair shot/person in sf bay area

I would buy a reman transmission personally. There might be some relevant upgrades you can get with rebuilding your current one, I'm not sure (they all seem to be good except for a select few 2000s. You cannot replace with a 5 speed, easily. I would fix it, it sounds like a nice car and unfortunate YM 2000 failure.

1) Replace with a rebuilt. Shop around for a Cruiser-friendly dealer in your area, shipping on a tranny might kill other discounts. New no longer available from Toyota.
2) Unfortunately, no. 4-speed to 4-speed.
3) I wouldn't sell it "as-is", unless you sell it to me ;p. Average parts/labor seem to be running ~$4K to fix.

And, to follow up, are you SURE it's a tranny failure? Many times people have mistaken drive flange or diff failures for transmission failures. If you've already had it diagnosed by a dealer/mechanic, then good, otherwise, what are your symptoms?

More reading here: 2000 Trans Status 2011 Update

Your mileage for failure is not unheard of, failure don't appear to be mileage related (low or high). It doesn't appear to be maintenance related, and the failure rate is still relatively low (though that's little consolation to you, I know). Failure numbers are low enough to not be able to pinpoint any date/VIN range of likely failures.

That rumor about 2000 LXs and tranny problems is kinda wild. I e had zero trouble at 315k now. I wonder if it’s only with low mileage LXs. I wonder if actually not driving much tends to hurt things.

The transmission on my vehicle failed yesterday. It is 2000 Lx470 and is in a very good condition. I have this vehicle for over 13 years. I just learned that this year model has some design and component issues which cause it to break prematurely.
I need some help/advice in deciding how to go about solving the transmission issue.

1) Shall I replace it with re-manufactured transmission, buy a used one, or have it rebuild. If I have the existing transmission rebuild, will I run into same tranmission failure problem in near future.
2) Can I replace the transmission existing 4-speed A343F with 5-speed A750F which is available in 2003 -2007 lx 470.
3) Shall I just sell it as it. I am afraid that I will get a lot less than what its worth by selling with the failed transmission.

Please advise
Anyone knows good and reasonably prices transmission repair shot/person in sf bay area
What mileage are you at?

I have a 2000 LC, which I just bought this year with 215K, but in the service history, it shows the previous owner replaced the tranny at 85K, at Toyota dealer with probably a re-man one.

Good luck!

That rumor about 2000 LXs and tranny problems is kinda wild. I e had zero trouble at 315k now. I wonder if it’s only with low mileage LXs. I wonder if actually not driving much tends to hurt things.
Having zero issues on a 2000 LC/LX is the norm, best estimate of the failure rate is in the low single digit percentages for MY 2000's. Failures have happened from 50K miles, to well over 200K miles, indicating no real "safe zone" for mileage. They have happened in anal-retentively maintained rigs, and ones not-so-much. :meh: Still way lower chance of a tranny failure than in my 1993 Chrysler Town and Country, that had 3 transmissions in less than 100K miles...

Still way lower chance of a tranny failure than in my 1993 Chrysler Town and Country, that had 3 transmissions in less than 100K miles...

Just curious from someone who owns one. Why do people continue to buy that product? Why is it actually sold?

Just curious from someone who owns one. Why do people continue to buy that product? Why is it actually sold?
"ownED" one... When I bought it in 1997, it was really the only game in town in terms of minivans. Honda didn't come out with the Odyssey with the sliding doors until 1999, about the same time as Toyota's Sienna. The price was right, and it drove nice, with all the whistles and bells of the period - when it worked. With a small family of young children, a minivan was very practical, and the Japanese makers were WAY behind in terms of size/design. When the third tranny went out, I traded it in for an Odyssey.

Whoa, @BullElk, just realized you have almost 2 million combined miles on your cruisers. Amazing.

204,000 miles on my "new to me" LX 470 no tranny work. Seems like you had bad luck. If it were me I'd take the advice above and buy a re manufactured one from Toyota and have them install it as long as the rest of the truck is in really good condition.

I would go with a reman from Toyota or Lexus if you planned on keeping it after the repair. Lexus if you need a loaner car lol.

My 2000 LX470 also had a reman transmission installed by Lexus before I bought it. I didn't even realize until I looked up the history when I listed it for sale.

I found out that the rebuilding the transmission is cheaper than buying a re manufactured one. Do you recommend having someone rebuild it or go for remanufactured one to be on the safe side.
Can you share the part number of this transmission?

"ownED" one... When I bought it in 1997,

Yea... I'm referring to folks who still buy them today. ??? And buncha other makes and models are trash and everyone knows it but yet the companies are still in business. Why on earth to sound minded humans do such a thing?

Yea... I'm referring to folks who still buy them today. ??? And buncha other makes and models are trash and everyone knows it but yet the companies are still in business. Why on earth to sound minded humans do such a thing?
$$$. Quality isn't cheap up front.

I found out that the rebuilding the transmission is cheaper than buying a re manufactured one. Do you recommend having someone rebuild it or go for remanufactured one to be on the safe side.
Can you share the part number of this transmission?
Compare warranty's and components used to reman and rebuild; are all things equal and who will provide better warranty service should something go wrong? I'd lean towards a remanufactured Toyota sourced through Toyota.​

honestly i would hunt for one here in a part out thread or make a wanted listing. i have a 343 (1FZ) that i cant give away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom