2000 Land Cruiser transmission woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello--the transmission in my 2000 L/C shot craps last spring. I finally found a rebuilt transmission with a warranty for $5,000..A little short of cash right now, but maybe l can pull the trigger soon. Anyone else have a problem with their transmission failing?

Some 2000s had an issue with the OD needle bearings failing. Depending on how much yours grenaded, it could be rebuildable? 5k seems pretty steep. Nothing available used from a salvage yard?

2000 transmissions are junk! If the needle bearing is broken, then most likely it is too late to salvage parts inside it. Search the forum for other like threads for pictures. I got my trans fully rebuilt with a 1 year warranty from a trans shop in San Antonio TX for $3880 out the door. $5000 is really too much.

What was mileage on y'all's 2000 when they let go?

Mine has 316k and still going strong. I did snag a spare from another 2000 at the junkyard for cheap. Unknown condition but figured good for at least a core or rebuild. Possibly good to run as-is. Hope to not have to find out!

Last edited:
I have one 2000 LX with 417K miles and zero issues with my junky transmission. Another 2000 with 268k miles and zero junky tranny issues. When they both explode tomorrow I'll edit this post to really junky 2000 trannys and will be searching for a couple more.

What was mileage on y'all's 2000 when they let go?

Mine has 316k and still going strong. I did snag a spare from another 2000 at the junkyard for cheap. Unknown condition but figured good for at least a core or rebuild. Possibly good to run as-is. How to not have to find out!
Mine was at 245K miles. Drove beautifully.. smooth on all shift and nothing to complain. I did long trip and was at 80+ MPH with cruise on. Little bit of hill country in west TX so it changed gears all good. Pulled to get gas and gears changed as normal. Then out the gas station I felt like a flat tire... hard to go forward... pulled to a parking lot and heard cracking sound (like breaking small sticks) under the vehicle. I started moving forward and then I noticed extreme hard shift into 2nd gear, I felt like the frame is about to bend, it was that bad. Got it towed to a trans shop (Not many trans shops will do Forein transmissions). They basically salvaged the case, input and output shaft from my old unit, rest is trash! From my experience the LC is the least reliable vehicle I have in my Toyota fleet!

After the rebuid, the pulling power has improved exponentially, feels like driving a V8! but the gas mileage is down to 15.5 MPG from 16.5 at 80 MPH

I agree that $5k is steep for this transmission, warranty or not, unless they really rebuilt it to like new condition, using Toyota parts. And then I'd have to think about it.

What specifically is wrong with it? You can rebuild it yourself in a couple of weekends, or days if you have all the parts ready.

IMHO, it's no worse than any other A343F. What kills them is fluid maintenance.

If you rebuild it, plan on at least $1500.

Hello---my Land Cruiser had 160,000 on it when the transmission failed. I had searched for a salvage transmission, but, didn't find one that l was comfortable with. I was looking for a transmission that had been professionally removed rebuilt and came with a warranty. Quite a search, but l was able to locate one. Just need to locate some cash now.

Correction:
"What kills them is fluid maintenance" is NOT what kills these 2000 transmissions. I had red clear trans fluid and never over heated. What fails is the needle roller bearing inside the O/D.

as stated above, it isn't all 2000's that have issues, not sure if it was a run of trans that could be broken down into a few months of production or not

my 2000 has about 187,000 miles and no issues

as stated above, it isn't all 2000's that have issues, not sure if it was a run of trans that could be broken down into a few months of production or not

my 2000 has about 187,000 miles and no issues
I may be way off base, but I thought I had read somewhere about a production fixture that was out of tolerance that caused the issue. I do think it was a limited window that affected 2000s.

The auto trans in my 2000 4Runner (same basic transmission model as that in an LC) suffered the overdrive failure at 240K, and went from 'working great' to 'full of major metal chunks and immobile' in a couple of days. I installed a used '98 4R transmission in the truck and it's running great.

Thanks for the inforamation. I go a 97 4runner and it is very reliable. Guess 2000 models had this issue. By the way I am first time hearing even the 2000 4R got the same issue.

Thanks for the inforamation. I go a 97 4runner and it is very reliable. Guess 2000 models had this issue. By the way I am first time hearing even the 2000 4R got the same issue.

not all 2000's have the "issue"

still wondering if it is a month of production or a batch made in a certain time frame that are the issue

Maybe we can pin the 2000 Transmission issues down to the Month... If you got your VIN sticker pic handy, it will tell you what Month it was built. I have 185k miles on mine and it drives great.. so hopefully mine is NOT the exploded trannys.. I'll go first.

I have a 2000 built in March/00

IIRC Toyota changes production in June-July of the year for next year models so hopefully my March tranny was fixed.. hopefully...

1699540244047.png

One came to me just after transmission replaced. Build date 01/00 (January 2000), with only 50K miles on the clock.

My 418k mile 2000 LX was born 8/99.

IMG_8082.jpeg

My 310K rig built 7/00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom