2000 Transmission in my 2002 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

So more than an year ago the transmission on my 2002 LX 470 (202K miles at the time) gave out. From what I can tell 2002 is not known to be a troublesome year for transmissions.
Given the circumstances at the time I went with a used ebay transmission. The catch, I bought a 2000 model year transmission with supposedly 100K miles on it. At the time there were 2002 model year transmissions available. But they had more miles on them then my car so I couldn't convince myself to buy those.

The shop that installed it said, from what they could tell, the pan was never taken off the replacement transmission. Plus, the seller provided me with a Carfax of the donor car, if the transmission did come out of that car it should have ~100k miles on it. That is the best I could do, the car was in PA, I was in NC and the transmission was from ebay. (2000 LX470 Transmission failure - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2000-lx470-transmission-failure.222485/page-2#post-14713870)

My plan was to get the car mobile again and get a reman'ed transmission on my own time.

My current thought process is that:
- The whole point of this car was to bank on its reliability so I am going to trust the current transmission and keep rocking it as is.

It's not like its going to strand me in the middle of nowhere, right!! right???!!

So far the replacement has been solid. Do I really want to spend the money to get a remanded transmission when my current transmission is running good? 🤔

What would you do if you were in this situation ?

From your story, it sounds like you now have a perfectly working 2000 trans. in your 2002. Just drive the dumb thing and wait until it fails (or something else does). You will get some warning (well, maybe a week or so...). Quit worrying. My LX has 325K miles on it and any part of it could blow up at any time - such is life.

My 2000 4Runner transmission made it to 234K before it grenaded (overdrive parts turned to dust). I installed a '98 4Runner transmission with 100K and it's working fine, years later. It shifts better than the original transmission ever did.

From your story, it sounds like you now have a perfectly working 2000 trans. in your 2002. Just drive the dumb thing and wait until it fails (or something else does). You will get some warning (well, maybe a week or so...). Quit worrying. My LX has 325K miles on it and any part of it could blow up at any time - such is life.

My 2000 4Runner transmission made it to 234K before it grenaded (overdrive parts turned to dust). I installed a '98 4Runner transmission with 100K and it's working fine, years later. It shifts better than the original transmission ever did.
That's good to hear, I personally think the 2000 transmission issue is a little inflated.
I should avoid reading threads on this topic and just enjoy the rig.

not all 2000 transmissions are "bad"

X2 don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride

2000 trannys are good just like every other year of the mighty Hundy. Sure, anything can happen to any machine made by man…if you’re slitting hairs. But just exactly like anything else in life, other than Gods word, it’s all about increasing our chances regarding the objective at hand. Driving a hundy is certainly maximizing our chances of ultimate reliability.

Just drive it. That’s what they’re made for even with very nonOCD maintenance. My 2000 LX with 428k on the tranny with two fluid changes, will agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom