200 Series parts hoarding for the future? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never owned an 80 series but have noticed a lot of owners complaining about scarcity of replacement parts given the newest models are now over 25 years past production.

I intend on keeping my 200 for as long as possible, and now that production has ended was wondering which parts might be scarce in the future.

Thoughts?

Buy a warehouse and fill it with as many 200 series as you can afford. With any luck, it'll pan out.

If I'd done this with the air cooled porsches that were a dime a dozen in the 80s or the 80 series that were about the same in the early 2000s, I'd be a wealthy man.

Short of that, just drive and enjoy your 200.

Oh god, this cant be a real problem with the LC badge? Dont give me another thing to worry about…

Oh god, this cant be a real problem with the LC badge? Dont give me another thing to worry about…
Speaking with my local specialty shop, they mentioned that they are now just starting to seeing parts scarcity for the 100 series. So us 200 guys should start having trouble around 2037.

Mechanical Parts should be no issue for a long time, as many are shared with the US Tundra. As I understand it, the parts that are scarce for the 80 series are things like front end crash parts, and assorted plastic bits and bobs. There are folks that have businesses building solutions for these issues (like Wits End, etc), but some parts are hard to find. Predicting which parts will be hard to find this far out is at best a slightly educated guess. I think unless you have room to store a bunch of parts trucks for a long time, you'd have a hard time being even remotely successful hoarding the part you might need in the future....
Also, the global market is more accessible than ever before, and with the quantities of 200 series trucks sold elsewhere in the world, I suspect you have another 15-20 years before you'll be unable to find any specific part.

A lot will depend on Toyotas support for these rigs in US. For example, when the front bumpers get discontinued, I don't see a huge influx of overseas shipments of used bumpers at $250 a pop.

You guys need to find other things to worry about. We are at least a decade away from this even beginning to become a problem with interior and trim bits.

Owning an FJ62 will change your perception of parts availability.

By 2037 I'm sure the bigger problem will be getting gas, riding around in the dinosaurs, 100 miles between stations, solar powered pogo sticks taking everyone into the future

Toyota seems to have no rhyme or reason as to why they discontinue certain things.

Rock Warrior wheels for example. I bought a set for my SR5 Tundra back in 2015, and remember them being pretty damn cheap for a nice factory wheel.

Then whammo, they discontinued something before it was even 10 years old...

Sometimes, its just because...

Usually, it’s because it wouldn’t make them enough money to keep stocking them. A specialty forged wheel needed by a minority of their customers and that can easily/cheaply be replaced with something else is a good example of a part that should be discontinued from a business perspective.

Not to mention trying to predict which parts will randomly turn into obsessions by enthusiasts ten years after they were produced.

Toyota seems to have no rhyme or reason as to why they discontinue certain things.

Rock Warrior wheels for example. I bought a set for my SR5 Tundra back in 2015, and remember them being pretty damn cheap for a nice factory wheel.

Then whammo, they discontinued something before it was even 10 years old...

Its usually because i decide that I love it and fully buy in. Then it gets the axe!

Usually, it’s because it wouldn’t make them enough money to keep stocking them. A specialty forged wheel needed by a minority of their customers and that can easily/cheaply be replaced with something else is a good example of a part that should be discontinued from a business perspective.

Not to mention trying to predict which parts will randomly turn into obsessions by enthusiasts ten years after they were produced.

Well yes. But if you get into a collision with an actual Rock Warrior Tundra and mangle a wheel, then what?

I THOUGHT (but never confirmed) it was a 20 year range they needed to have ALL parts available for this reason. No?

Well yes. But if you get into a collision with an actual Rock Warrior Tundra and mangle a wheel, then what?

I THOUGHT (but never confirmed) it was a 20 year range they needed to have ALL parts available for this reason. No?

Exactly my current sitch.
I have a set of 5 23.6 lb. 2650 load 17" methods they discontinued because they were too expensive and not selling well.
I really think one of them is either bad or warped, as its contributing to some vibrations that went front to rear on last rotation.
They have a lifetime warranty at method but no replacement.
They said they will help me into a new wheel setup on the house but i have to get the ugly 706s for what i really want. (18" +35)

Story of my life.

Exactly my current sitch.
I have a set of 5 23.6 lb. 2650 load 17" methods they discontinued because they were too expensive and not selling well.
I really think one of them is either bad or warped, as its contributing to some vibrations that went front to rear on last rotation.
They have a lifetime warranty at method but no replacement.
They said they will help me into a new wheel setup on the house but i have to get the ugly 706s for what i really want. (18" +35)

Story of my life.

I personally know 3 different people that have warped or broke Method HDs in your same predicament

Avoid them at all costs

I personally know 3 different people that have warped or broke Method HDs in your same predicament

Avoid them at all costs

Geez... My problem is there are no options outside of china made for what I want, 18x9 +35, and to avoid oem + spacers.
I also am not a fan of the look of the TRD BBS on my model year. It doesn't really work. Looks great on the LC refresh though.

Currently Method 706 is the ONLY wheel I've been able to find that is not obscenely expensive (custom). I hate the design.
I really wish the factory 21s didnt make me hate my life, i would not have been so rushed to get a fitment.

I think it was @Tex68w who introduced me to Braid, (and several other expensive toys lol), thats probably what i will end up doing...

20yr rule does sound familiar but I doubt they are forced to cover every single part when others that will “work” are available.

As for then what? Get different wheels. The difficulty finding a replacement if I damage one is one reason I’ll probably sell mine and get something else.. that and the offset being better than stock but not great for what I want to do.

Somewhere there is a threshold for the necessity of a part being available to literally keep a vehicle on the road vs just inconvenient for the owner. I paid a good chunk of money for a lower seat foam on my 80.. absolutely not required, but nice to have. There was an expected life for the molds and machine that made it, a cost associated with produced cushions sitting on a shelf in a warehouse, etc.

Look, I love the idea of being able to keep our beloved vehicles on the road in tip-top shape for three decades. But that just isn’t the direction the world is going. And if I’m honest with myself, I just won’t keep something that long either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom