Best All Terrain Tires for the 200 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is everyone using for All Terrain Tires? Curious on size of the AT tire that also accommodates chains for extreme winter situations.

Thank you.

What is everyone using for All Terrain Tires? Curious on size of the AT tire that also accommodates chains for extreme winter situations.

Thank you.
The best AT is the one that is on the person’s vehicle who is answering this thread.

In other words, there is no best anything. Are you looking for looks or actual off-road capability?

The best AT is the one that is on the person’s vehicle who is answering this thread.

In other words, there is no best anything. Are you looking for looks or actual off-road capability?
Need good off road capability and winter capable. Had the Grabbers A/T on my 100 and liked them but really lacked winter traction.

What do you guys think about this tire? I currently run Nitto's Ridge Grapplers and like them but they're a bit noisy after 5 years.

Need good off road capability and winter capable. Had the Grabbers A/T on my 100 and liked them but really lacked winter traction.
KO3. Proven. Strong as iron. Fairly lightweight compared to other ATs.

I have LT285/65 18 Grabber at3s on my 200 and Duratracs on my wife's 4th gen T4R, I firmly believe the Duratracs are vastly superior when the snow and ice hits here in the Colorado foothills. The Grabbers replaced Falken at3ws that I found to be nobueno in the snow, Grabbers work but not like the tracs. I'll be curious to see how well the new Duratrac RTs review, especially with the stronger side walls... just my opinion though, Mitch

Last edited:
There is an incredible amount of discussion on this topic already, and you’ll get a lot more good info if you take the time to do some reading.

Good place to start, a handful of threads under this one.

If snow performance is important i cannot recommend KO2’s. They are mediocre in snow imho

And rain/hydroplane resistance of the tire.

Both things that KO3s allegedly address.

What's your favorite color? What's the best action movie? What do you want for dinner?

There are a lot of options, and most of them these days are at least somewhat decent. Everyone will have a favorite, but there isn't as much separation as people will suggest. Also, in my experience, the 200 tolerates the poor traits of some tires better than most vehicles due to it's heavy weight, full time 4wd, and well insulated cabin.

Most folks would be best served with the new Michelin Defender LTX MS2, but they're not the most exciting looking tire...

I have Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain 275/55/20s on my LX570 and KO2s on my previous LC100. I wouldn't have put the Wranglers on but they are new, came with the LX, and going nowhere until replacement time. For my use, the KO2s were good enough in the southeast but different considerations in the mountains or Northeast.

Last edited:
I went with the Toyo at3. My use case has less snow than yours. Essentially the at3 is three peak, and has the best road manners of the all terrain tires while also having decent looks. If I didn’t care about looks I would’ve definitely gone with the LTX MS or MS2. Do some research on chains, Toyota says to use them on the rear only. If you absolutely need them on the front there are some narrower tire sizes that supposedly make them usable.

What do you guys think about this tire? I currently run Nitto's Ridge Grapplers and like them but they're a bit noisy after 5 years.

Tried these out for a month via discount tire before switching to Def LTX ms2s. The recons were legit though. Much smoother riding than their looks would suggest. Quieter than expected too. Not much real AT testing. I switched because with the 25mm offset wheels I paired them with and that aggressive sidewall they really stuck out more than my desired amount. Looked very aggressive to me and just wasn’t quite what I was after. I liked them a lot though. They were LT Es, fyi. Would recommend - based on short term experience.

I've been running 285/70R17 Maxxis Razr AT tires. Tread design looks very similar to Ridge Grappler. 3pms. Very happy with them thus far

Say what you will but KO2s are popular for a reason.
I came here to say this.

It’s almost impossible for them to have survived this long and had as many loyal fans as they have without being decent at something… For those that say they aren’t up to the demands of snow and ice, I would respectfully disagree. I’ve driven my current 200 on 40k miles or US roadtrips, often departing from the Northeast in the dead of winter to go skiing in the Rockies, camping in Montana or out to the PNW. I’ve never had any problems with the KO2. No flats, no punctures, no uneven wearing and that includes subjecting them to an 8K+ pound LC throughout Moab, the San Juans, and elsewhere.

Are they cutting edge technology? Not in a million years; but they are dependable, sort of like the vehicles we all come here to praise 😜

I came here to say this.

It’s almost impossible for them to have survived this long and had as many loyal fans as they have without being decent at something… For those that say they aren’t up to the demands of snow and ice, I would respectfully disagree. I’ve driven my current 200 on 40k miles or US roadtrips, often departing from the Northeast in the dead of winter to go skiing in the Rockies, camping in Montana or out to the PNW. I’ve never had any problems with the KO2. No flats, no punctures, no uneven wearing and that includes subjecting them to an 8K+ pound LC throughout Moab, the San Juans, and elsewhere.

Are they cutting edge technology? Not in a million years; but they are dependable, sort of like the vehicles we all come here to praise 😜
All tires can be sufficent on snow and ice, it does not mean they are as good as other ATs on ice. I drove for years to ski through a mountain pass with basic all seasons and front wheel drive and was fine because I drove for the conditions.(slow!). Although there were times I would have loved snow tires and 4wd. And snow does not equal ice, snow traction is best with lots of siping, and KO2s are about as good as others in this regard. It is on ice where their harder compound fails.

I also had a direct experience with an ice storm in Portland with my wife's 4R with KO2s where she could not get traction even with deflation.I was able to get to her and drag her to a safe spot (with General Grabbers on my rig, also a 4R at the time) I was able to get purchase to pull her to safety and park.

On the flip side, their hard compound results in a very long lasting tire that is amazing offroad. I don't recall how many miles we had at that point, but my wife wanted them gone. They had a lot of miles and basically still had full tread. They definitely are built to last...

A softer Duratrac is going to do better in winter, but wear fast and get noisy. The Falkens also have a softer compound that wears better, a good all around, but still not comparable to a dedicated winter like Hakkas.

Reactions: CT3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom