200 Series parts hoarding for the future? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20yr rule does sound familiar but I doubt they are forced to cover every single part when others that will “work” are available.

As for then what? Get different wheels. The difficulty finding a replacement if I damage one is one reason I’ll probably sell mine and get something else.. that and the offset being better than stock but not great for what I want to do.

Somewhere there is a threshold for the necessity of a part being available to literally keep a vehicle on the road vs just inconvenient for the owner. I paid a good chunk of money for a lower seat foam on my 80.. absolutely not required, but nice to have. There was an expected life for the molds and machine that made it, a cost associated with produced cushions sitting on a shelf in a warehouse, etc.

Look, I love the idea of being able to keep our beloved vehicles on the road in tip-top shape for three decades. But that just isn’t the direction the world is going. And if I’m honest with myself, I just won’t keep something that long either.

I have a fantasy about handing my truck down to my son when he’s 16.

I have a fantasy about handing my truck down to my son when he’s 16.

Same here...but it sure as hell will not be the 200, or 100, or FZJ80. My kids (currently 4 and 6) will likely be getting the 3FE powered FJ80, because the others are too nice, too powerful, and I will likely still be driving them.

Maybe a beat up 100 series, if they can go a year accident free in the FJ80.

I wonder how many people are like me and have a very unrealistic idea of how long they’ll keep any given vehicle.

My plan, or at least the frame of reference from
which I make decisions like parts sources, is always “forever.” I think on average it’s more like 3 years. My 200 is beating the trend at 5.. with no real plans to move to anything else. But it’s also not my DD.. just my mountain fun/travel rig.

I wonder how many people are like me and have a very unrealistic idea of how long they’ll keep any given vehicle.

which I make decisions like parts sources, is always “forever.” I think on average it’s more like 3 years. My 200 is beating the trend at 5.. with no real plans to move to anything else. But it’s also not my DD.. just my mountain fun/travel rig.
Me. I drove my first couple cars into the ground when I was young, then thought I’d do that with newer vehicles but after 8-10 years ended up swapping them.

But I’m still planning to keep the 200 for 500k miles.

Right Here Buddy! 🙋🏻‍♂️

My last 4 builds started with…. “This is the one, and gonna be my last”

And then….

My name is Kevin, and I’m a build addict

I bought this for life and I am going to continually build it up into more and more single purpose as i have been doing. Just deciding on what to daily…

Mechanical Parts should be no issue for a long time, as many are shared with the US Tundra. As I understand it, the parts that are scarce for the 80 series are things like front end crash parts, and assorted plastic bits and bobs. There are folks that have businesses building solutions for these issues (like Wits End, etc), but some parts are hard to find. Predicting which parts will be hard to find this far out is at best a slightly educated guess. I think unless you have room to store a bunch of parts trucks for a long time, you'd have a hard time being even remotely successful hoarding the part you might need in the future....
Also, the global market is more accessible than ever before, and with the quantities of 200 series trucks sold elsewhere in the world, I suspect you have another 15-20 years before you'll be unable to find any specific part.
Very on point with the tundra comparison. I needed some exhaust gaskets. He couldn’t find the parts for a LC. I told him it is the exact same part as a tundra. Yep. We got 5 of them in stock.

He couldn’t find the blower for the cool box in the tundra. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Still looking for that part cheap lol

Very on point with the tundra comparison. I needed some exhaust gaskets. He couldn’t find the parts for a LC. I told him it is the exact same part as a tundra. Yep. We got 5 of them in stock.

He couldn’t find the blower for the cool box in the tundra. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Still looking for that part cheap lol

You’re not saying the same gasket can have two different part numbers though are you? I go to Toyota most of the time with my shared part numbers but I’ve never looked at any Tundra diagrams to see if there were any more potential savings.

For the small stuff i dont bother driving to Cedar Park and just hit up Lexus down the street. They take care of me, but they are a bit limited on discounting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom