Do you think the 200 series is too big for trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The LC200 is outstanding on all terrain and all trails.

I could give two poops about dents/scratches.

For some the LC200 is collectible. Nope.

The LC200 is a disposable item just as every other vehicle.

Some people care about every little dent and scratch—which is why folks spend ridiculous money on ceramic coatings, PPF, and magnetic door covers to ensure that their precious 200 Series remains pristine.

I’m piling up the miles off-road, in national parks, and daily drive my HE—until I get bored.

I’ll keep it well maintained, but consider the pinstripes and patina along the way—memories of great adventures.

NOTE: I’m also a GenX professional who along with my wife/family sees our LC200 as just another utilitarian tool.

Last edited:
Maybe this isnt the whole story, but honestly, it's only a few inches different from a 4runner. Now if you compare a 4runner to an Tundra or a F150 then yea thats a different story.
firefox_bQWKIoRXji.png

Turning radius and wheelbase wise, no. The LC200 is an incredibly capable rig that hides is size insanely well. Width wise? Absolutely, with out a doubt, yes. My 200 has the desert pinstriping and panel damage to prove it. Or possibly I should better know my limits and not get so headstrong on trails. Who knows?

I do bemoan the width growth of the new 250/GX. One thing I love about my 150 is how much narrower than a 200 it is, especially for city driving.

I do bemoan the width growth of the new 250/GX. One thing I love about my 150 is how much narrower than a 200 it is, especially for city driving.
Wow… I didn’t realize but the 200 and 250 are the same width… I assumed it was smaller.

Makes it more odd that this is really a prado being branded as a LC. Also makes me feel better about the 200‘s size. Also good to note the 300 series is also the same width, all at 78in.

Wow… I didn’t realize but the 200 and 250 are the same width… I assumed it was smaller.

Makes it more odd that this is really a prado being branded as a LC. Also makes me feel better about the 200‘s size. Also good to note the 300 series is also the same width, all at 78in.
The dimensions are identical to the 200 and 300 series in both wheelbase and track width.

The GX550 seems to have more of a coke bottle shape though so it can probably bend around objects a little more, but if you have to pass through a certain size gap then its still just as tight.

Im honestly not even sure what the actual difference is between a 250 and 300. Toyota differentiates them in name but dimensionally, and chassis wise, they are the same. Both are TNGA-F and both share the same wheelbase and track width.

The dimensions are identical to the 200 and 300 series in both wheelbase and track width.

The GX550 seems to have more of a coke bottle shape though so it can probably bend around objects a little more, but if you have to pass through a certain size gap then its still just as tight.

Im honestly not even sure what the actual difference is between a 250 and 300. Toyota differentiates them in name but dimensionally, and chassis wise, they are the same. Both are TNGA-F and both share the same wheelbase and track width.
I think that the GX550 can tow more than LX600. 😂

I think that the GX550 can tow more than LX600. 😂

Probably. I really like the GX550 but I figured by the time everyone has finished paying dealer markups on the Overtrails and gobbling up all the inventory for the foreseeable future, its going to be 2-3 years before I could get my hands on one for a reasonable price.

I've run Rubicon twice with 200's in the group, countless trails in Moab etc... I don't think the size of the 200 is a problem at all, the 40's and 80's do have some advantages, better flex up front and what I think the biggest difference from what I've seen on the trail is the approach angle that the solid axle allows for! I've owned over a dozen LC's over the past 30 years, 200 is right at the top of the list for me, very well rounded rig... Some pics of the gang doing Rubicon...

i-ckskXqV-X3.jpg

i-pmLxjk6-X3.jpg

i-rgPL4rL-X3.jpg

i-SwxMpgt-X3.jpg

i-XFZfQmf-X3.jpg

I mean there are some things it just won't fit through🤪

i-8HWXk6h-X3.jpg

I wouldn't say too big, if you're ok with the pinstripes that'll occur. It's a heavy rig though, so thats where you'll notice it.
Yeah, weight is probably the bigger issue. I was never worried about weight as I built my 200 up. I figured it was already heavy and had plenty of power and torque. I don’t need to go 100 mph and I don’t drive it like it’s a sports car. I also didn’t care about gas mileage. I wanted armor and protection. I do more rock crawling than I probably should and I’m usually following dedicated trail rigs. What I didn’t really understand was the impact of weight on the trails. When I need to to be winched up and over or out of something and anchor to another vehicle, I almost always pull them to me not me up and out. We usually have to strap two rigs together or strap the anchor truck to a tree or something. My last major recovery took 4 other rigs and their winches. Two to pull me out and two to keep me from sliding and rolling. The two pulling had to be strapped to trees to prevent them from just getting dragged forward. Weight also is what causes me to need the winch in the first place (other than bad line picking).

Even knowing all this now, I don’t think I’d build my rig any different for how I use it. I’ve got better at seeing what I can get my heavy butt over and I’ve learned a lot about recovery.

Last edited:
The only place I feel a stock geared 200s weight is an issue is uphill ledges (depending on the size). At times it struggles to pull the ass up and then You have to rely on bumping a little harder than an 80/4runner would.

People don’t give it a fair shot but it’s an absolute weapon on everything but extreme rock crawling (Buggy Trails).

In my opinion the weight aids substantially with traction in most situations. It’s always seems to find it.

If you’re not cool with some cosmetic damage then Maybe it’s not the greatest wheeling rig for you and based on the price I would blame anyone that feels that way.

IMG_4959.jpeg

IMG_4920.jpeg

IMG_6476.jpeg

IMG_6585.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

The only place I feel a stock geared 200s weight is an issue is uphill ledges (depending on the size). At times it struggles to pull the ass up and then You have to rely on bumping a little harder than an 80/4runner would.

People don’t give it a fair shot but it’s an absolute weapon on everything but extreme rock crawling (Buggy Trails).

In my opinion the weight aids substantially with traction in most situations. It’s always seems to find it.

If you’re not cool with some cosmetic damage then Maybe it’s not the greatest wheeling rig for you and based on the price I would blame anyone that feels that way.

View attachment 3549739
Ummm...what's the story with the upside down rig in this photo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom