Do you think the 200 series is too big for trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted this the other day on the 250 forum as the 200 series was seen as too big for trails by those admiring their 40 and 80 series (I get it, both very nice) or justifying going for a 250 (Do not get it, remains a Prado/GX).

So do you think the 200 series is too big? Well, it is all relative of course. I was surprised when I looked up the actual size and compared to several well known vehicles (see below). My conclusion; the 200 is the perfect combination of outer and inner dimensions combined with a great engine and overall capability, durability, seating position, towing capability etc etc.

----------------------------
Own a 2014 BMW 535d and a 2021 LC200. Parked in the garage it seems there is not much between the length of each. Internet data from carsized.com shows the comparison. The LC200 is indeed a whopping 8.5cm or 3-1/3 inch longer and wider...

While the BMW 5 F10 series is a larger sedan in Europe and most of the world, i would say most folk in the US label it a mid size. The turn circle on the LC200 is pretty decent as well, yet they managed a commanding seating position and an impressive mix of capability including tow up to 8200 to 8500 lbs.

So is the LC200 that big?

1705199742618.png

1705199784715.png

The popular F150 is clearly a size up in length (+90cm or 35 inch)

1705201378153.png

Even the Tacoma "small" pick up is quite a bit longer.

1705201684855.png

Or the Crown Vic...

1705202226982.png

Last edited:
When I’m the only 200 running with 40s and 80s through heavy forrest trails is when I feel the width difference. Or when I get lost and end up on a ATV trail….

Turning radius has never been a big issue and is better than my Tacoma.

I have wheeled with several 200s in groups with 60s 80's and 100's. The 200 is noticeably larger on the trail. Rocks and trees that we slide others through are definitely more difficult to do with a 200. For some reason it seems like we are always hitting a bottle neck in the Ozarks

The difference becomes most apparent in width. That said, IMO the 200 strikes a perfect balance between everyday usability and off-road performance in size. We drove multiple vehicles that some might consider superior for trails due to their width, but all felt too narrow on the road. Using as an example, the 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro and JK/JK Wrangers felt cramped as if we were sitting shoulder to shoulder. On the opposite end of the spectrum the Sequoia felt too big, from every standpoint. @2021 LC200 I think your conclusion is spot on.

Welp, now I feel small. Girthy, but small. Thanks man....*unsubscribes* 🤣

I stopped reading at 3 1/3” 🤡

It depends on the trails, but for general exploring and moderate off-roading my only issue is it seems like I'm ALWAYS dragging the paint on branches and brush in places where wranglers and smaller rigs aren't. Otherwise, I'd say the cruiser can fit anywhere a 4 door wrangler does.

If you want to talk about the benefits of small size off-road, go out with a locked Samurai on 33s or a TJ on 35s. But good luck fitting a family of 4 and a weekend's worth of gear in either of those, and forget about doing 90 mph back home across Kansas comfortably :rofl:

I believe the GX550 is longer and taller than LC200 on paper. But that does not tell the whole story.

I run with a very mixed group in the southwest.

I find the 200-series to be a great middling to middle-large in size. I have yet to find a feature I coudln't fit through with care. I fold in the rearview mirrors often when the trail gets tight. Yes, lots of pinstripping.

That said, there is a GX460 in my group. I think THAT is the goldilocks of balanced size for interior room and exterior dimensions. The 250 has grown up a tad, but should still be goldilocks on the trail. The LC100 is a great tidy size with better approach and departure than the 200-series. LC80 is widely recognized as goldilocks.

With the very mixed group, observations
- The Raptor is wholly too wide and has had to turn around on occasion. 96" (w/ mirrors) and 86.6" (mirrors in). Contrast that with the 200-series at 85" (w/ mirrors) and 78" (mirrors in)
- Smaller is better. More line choice. Doesn't need as large of tires to have comparable clearance on obstacles. Has better visibility which is often under appreciated.
- Vehicles with over 30° approach, breakover, departure has pretty strong off-road capabilities. 35° all around is formidable!
- 37s might be the new 35s with how deep moguls get dug these days

1706047228044.png

OP, what website did you use for those comparisons ? that is pretty neat

For me, it is not just the width which is a little too wide for a few trails I have been on, but the WEIGHT of the LC that is the other issue. It is heavy! Anything soft, and the LC stinks like the Titanic down to the frame.

I've had to turn around when exploring because the trail has petered out to little more than an ATV trail. This is just part of it. The LC200 guy says my friends with Wranglers made it through, the Wrangler guy says, my buddy with a modded Samurai made it through, the modded Samurai guy says, my buddy with the Razr made it through. Carry a chainsaw and otherwise be willing to admit that the trail is not meant for your LC and you'll still be having a fun day out on the trail. It never occurs to me that the LC is too big for trails, just that some trails are not meant for vehicles over a certain size. This is not unique to LCs.

If you are exploring with guys in side by sides or smaller rigs in general you may be frustrated more often than if you are out with guys in Raptors.

My experience has been wheeling the 80 series for the last 8 years (definitely the rig I'm most accustomed to), 60 series, 3rd gen 4runner and mini-truck before that.

This was a big concern getting into the 200. I bought the 200 when I still owned the 80 with the idea that the 80 would be the real wheeler. Well the 80 s*** the bed and life steered me towards making the 200 my all-around wheeling rig. I wheel pretty hard by 200-series section standards.

My conclusions: yes, the 200 is a little too wide, IMO. You feel it in the trees and in really technical terrain where wheel placement is more critical. Squeezing between trees or high embankments that have the possibility of tapping the side of the truck is mostly drama-free in a smaller rig. In the 200 you really have to place the vehicle *just so*. Any mistakes = body damage. Having a narrower vehicle gives you more options in selecting a line. In a smaller truck, you can maybe sneak around the side of that boulder, in the wider vehicle you have no choice but place your tire right over the top of the boulder and hammer your slider. Speaking of sliders, the 200 bodywork is too low, IMO. Compared to all of the above vehicles, the rocker panels are astonishingly close to the ground.

All of that said, I noticed the same phenomenon (to a lesser extent) going from the mini-truck to the 80. And all around, I've found the 200 pretty good when you're not in that tight spot. And as we all know, it's a much more well rounded vehicle when you're off the trail compared to some others that might have a bit more trail capability.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the 200 is a perfect size for overlanding in particular. But, you have to get comfortable with pinstripes. As many have already pointed out the width of the vehicle, compared to other common offroad platforms, becomes apparent on heavily wooded trails. The 200 is like a magnet for every limb and branch where older Cruisers, Tacos, Jeeps, etc... seem to make it through with far less contact. I have a silver 200, which helps with the pinstripes. :)

I'm only comfortable on forest trails/roads, mild stuff with the 200. I guess I could try to get more comfortable wheeling it but my 80 and Tacoma are perfect for the more challenging trails.

Posted this the other day on the 250 forum as the 200 series was seen as too big for trails by those admiring their 40 and 80 series (I get it, both very nice) or justifying going for a 250 (Do not get it, remains a Prado/GX).

So do you think the 200 series is too big? Well, it is all relative of course. I was surprised when I looked up the actual size and compared to several well known vehicles (see below). My conclusion; the 200 is the perfect combination of outer and inner dimensions combined with a great engine and overall capability, durability, seating position, towing capability etc etc.

Own a 2014 BMW 535d and a 2021 LC200. Parked in the garage it seems there is not much between the length of each. Internet data from carsized.com shows the comparison. The LC200 is indeed a whopping 8.5cm or 3-1/3 inch longer and wider...

While the BMW 5 F10 series is a larger sedan in Europe and most of the world, i would say most folk in the US label it a mid size. The turn circle on the LC200 is pretty decent as well, yet they managed a commanding seating position and an impressive mix of capability including tow up to 8200 to 8500 lbs.

1705199742618.png

1705199784715.png

1705201378153.png

1705201684855.png

Or the Crown Vic...

1705202226982.png

1705199742618.png

1705199784715.png

1705201378153.png

1705201684855.png

Or the Crown Vic...

1705202226982.png
I never really considered it. My previous experience had previously been limited to full-size pickups, so the 200 seems way smaller to me.

Rather than being limited by the type of vehicle, I would think a person could conceivably end up more limited by the modifications and accessories they choose to add like extreme lifts, 12 tons of stuff strapped on top of/all over the exterior, or tires that protrude like a formula 1 race car.

I don't do heavy duty rock crawling with the 200, but it does basically everything else great. It would not be my choice for the Rubicon, but I know many have navigated it with little to no damage (and some a decent amount of carnage).

I used to love rock crawling, but I am more into backcountry exploring, and that sometimes has put me on gnarly trails, and often easy to moderately difficult trails. Lots of pinstriping, bit never felt it was otherwise too large for a trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom