2 dudes, 2000 miles, 4 aircraft and an FJ45! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joel, it wont be a coffe table anytime soon. Just thought if he needed it, I'd offer it up. I will probably eventually do a Mosley Motors hotrod 2F in the 55 with it.

Last edited:
So we are 2 heads into this "build" so far and gaining zero traction ... not the best start to say the least!

Along comes Kevin to the rescue! He has a low mileage engine formally owned by @GA Architect. Check out his thread when you get a chance. I thought my attention to detail was high, but this guy puts us all to shame!

The engine is all there less the accessories. I figure I can take 2 engines and make 1 good one -- at least this is the plan!

We whip the head off and its back to Knights Machine shop for round 3!

3rd times a charm, she's a go! (said in my best Australian 4WD Action accent! ):hillbilly:

Magnafluxed, exhaust valves reground, new seals, and while it was there I had them mill the head 0.40" so as to increase the compression for hopefully a little more power.

Time to get the rest of it in my garage ...

Now while all this has been going on, Kevin is undertaking an engine swap of the coal burning variety! A 3B diesel swap into his 40.

Here is his thread, check it out

I have a tendency to get carried away sometimes, and have to reign myself in, but with 2 simultaneous engine swaps happening it only makes sense to pick up a few new tools for these projects :grinpimp:

Now I'm not much of a Facebooker but I've recently discovered "The Marketplace" (yes I'm old and behind the times)
I picked up a brand new powder coat gun and a box of accessories to go with it from a guy in Clarksville for cheap.
Ive also been looking for a sandblasting cabinet for a while with no joy. Ive read some great reviews on the Barrel Blaster in other enthusiast forums. Called the number down in Texas, and the owner picked up. Super helpful, family run company, made in the USA and a good price. What more can you ask for.

Really well made product, instructions all in legible English, had it together in about 30 mins.

Last edited:

MURICA!

Put my son to work building a stand for it to sit on with wheels so I can easily move it around my 2 car garage.

Then we set about tearing down parts off Lucille ...

I don't have a parts washer (yet), and wanting to get stuck into it I have 2 plastic containers setup. 1 full of purple power, the other full of evaporust.

Starting scrubbing, soaking, sandblasting, prepping and then powder coating.

Its a really rewarding process giving old parts that have served us well for the past 4 decades a new lease on life.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves ...

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER

Some 3B parts after sandblasting waiting to go in for powder coat ...

After ..

Misc parts

A little history on the engine from what we know. Its a 1977 that was pulled out of an FJ40 with 89k on the clock. At the time it was pulled its previous owner said the compression numbers were 120 across all 6 cylinders.
My plan is to tear down the engine and install a new set of piston rings, all new seals and gaskets, clean it, paint it, and slap the H55 I have sitting on the garage floor behind it.

Once the engine is out of Lucille, I'm going to clean up the frame and POR15 it, address the vague steering, and tidy up the wiring.

I can't decide if I want to paint the engine bay the factory color, or do a Lizard Skin coating.
They both have their advantages. I do like the idea of the heat and noise shield properties the lizard skin provides.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, cleaned all the carbon deposits off the top of the pistons, pulled the timing cover off, removed the crankshaft, took the side over off, removed the lifters. Flipped it over and removed the oil pan and thats where we stopped until more parts arrive

Dan, kudos to getting your son involved in the project, and man those parts look brand new!

Thanks man!
Its a journey, one that hopefully he will remember one day.

Joel, it wont be a coffe table anytime soon. Just thought if he needed it, I'd offer it up. I will probably eventually do a Mosley Motors hotrod 2F in the 55 with it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Cam about a month ago. He's doing some really cool things with the 2F. Some of the videos he posted are incredible!

Today was engine tear down day.

Was hoping to open her up, pull the pistons, hone the cylinders, install new rings and put it all back together ..... but .... as we all know when you open pandoras box things can get ugly

Score marks on Piston #5.
Cylinder walls seem ok though

Then we discovered that one of the main bearings the crankshaft rides on to be bad. But again the crank itself "seems" to be ok

Decided that seeing as this was the case and they needed to be replaced anyway, Ive dropped it off with the machine shop to be checked for spec, new bearings and then hot tanked.

I really hope this engine isn't toast :rolleyes:

Dang, man. Let's hope this is the last hurdle! That baby is going to run like a sewing machine when it's all said and done!

"I can't decide if I want to paint the engine bay the factory color, or do a Lizard Skin coating.
They both have their advantages. I do like the idea of the heat and noise shield properties the lizard skin provides. "

@ukaviator can the Lizard Skin be painted? I have never used it before, I hear it's great stuff.

"I can't decide if I want to paint the engine bay the factory color, or do a Lizard Skin coating.
They both have their advantages. I do like the idea of the heat and noise shield properties the lizard skin provides. "

@ukaviator can the Lizard Skin be painted? I have never used it before, I hear it's great stuff.

Apparently it can.
Received this email the other day from the guys over at Lizard Skin ...

"Daniel,

Thanks for your inquiry. We do not recommend tinting the LizardSkin directly because of the risk of diluting the product (which created all kinds of other potential problems). The best way to color match your vehicles is to let the final coat of LizardSkin dry completely (36 hours at 76 degrees ambient), then come back and topcoat over it directly with any good automotive-grade urethane paint that matches your vehicle. The LizardSkin does not need any prep work after curing , the paint can be applied directly overtop of it.

This will give you the color that you’re looking for and has the added benefit of sealing the LizardSkin making it more abrasion resistant, easier to clean etc.

Call me if you have any questions.

Mike"

Its been a while since i updated this thread. Been making some steady progress but slacking on the updates

Good news, the engine came back all within spec and the pistons were cleaned and blasted, so re assembly has begun

Started off with a little VHT engine paint, then new cam bearings, piston rings, cam and crankshaft

I also drilled, tapped and inserted a plug into the oil galley plug. Added a little red Loctite for peace of mind

Timing gear in, new crank pulley key in, timing cover on, oil pan installed, pushrods and reground lifters in, head on and valve train torqued down ... she's starting to take shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom