2 dudes, 2000 miles, 4 aircraft and an FJ45! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok ill admit it, I have a problem!

My landcruiser force has grown strong over the years. I started over a decade ago with an FJ60 with an H55 and 3B diesel, followed by a 1994 80 series that many of you know which was converted to a 1HDFT diesel, to a brief stint in a Tacoma, followed by my current daily a 2005 100 series.

A good friend friend of mine Joel @Tennessee80 owned a FJ45 short bed many years ago and it was love at first sight!

Ive been on the lookout for one ever since, but watching the prices climb over the years I ruled out the chances of ever owning one.

Then popped up this 1982 dune beige long bed at a price that makes you ask yourself “whats wrong with it?!”

Spoke with the seller on the phone, turns out he’s a cruiser addict too, owns another FJ45, FJ40’s and has too many toys.

This one was imported from the middle east to Tennessee of all places, sold to this guy in California who was having trouble registering it due to all the smog and emission regulations over there so decided to put it up for sale.

We came to an agreement on price then @Tennessee80 and I jumped on a plane West bound!

It was great having Joel there as another set of eyes. We both liked what we saw and did the deal.
Joel and I got to hang out at Fishermans Wharf that night eating seafood, drinking beer and talking shop, it was brilliant! What a day!

We airlined back the following day and a transport truck showed up at my house just 5 days later.

She needs some love here and there, but overall for a 35 year old truck its solid with very little rust in running and driving condition. The 2F seems strong and purrs like a kitten

Aside from the factory power steering its completely bare bones - no heat, no A/C, no radio, no seat belts and I love it!

Plans right now include going through it front to back (compression test, fluid flush) doing a refresh, putting gas in it and just enjoying it.

Enough with the rambling, here are some pictures ….

Early AM flight out of Nashville

Did the deal! :bounce:

Being unloaded

My 8 year old jumped in it and wanted to drive it the minute it rolled off the transporter!

1st tank of pure gas! :hillbilly:
I drove 70 miles the first day, couldn't get out of it or wipe the grin off my face!

Last edited:
Good stuff, dude! Glad she's back in TN. Can't wait to drive (and wheel the dog out of) it... LOL.:hillbilly:

Are you thinking of bringing it out to Wooly's March 4 to shake it down in the dirt a bit?

Good stuff, dude! Glad she's back in TN. Can't wait to drive (and wheel the dog out of) it... LOL.:hillbilly:

Are you thinking of bringing it out to Wooly's March 4 to shake it down in the dirt a bit?

Hope so. Blew an oil seal around the transmission (probably from hot doggin it on day 1 :D) ... so providing I get that fixed in time I'll bring it, if not the hundy.

Great looking 45, you definitely don't see those around town. Are you going to keep it stock for now?

Thanks!
i go back and forth on what to do. The purist in me says leave it alone, but the modifyer in me that can't leave anything alone says source a 12HT or a 1HDT with an H55f and put that in there :p
I suppose a lot will depend on what the compression numbers look like. If it's a tight engine and I suspect it is, probably just refresh and tidy everything up.
I do plan on building some kind of bed rack to hold my RTT

Cool sounds like a fun project. If you need help replacing the blown seal, let me know. Where exactly is it leaking and is it leaking engine oil or diff/trans fluid?

Thanks for the offer!
It's leaking oil but I haven't had a chance to tear into it to see exactly what the culprit is yet

What an adventure and dayum, what a great find!

i'd love to add a 45 or a 55 to my fleet. Just gotta love the old iron.

My vote, as if it matters, is do some OME springs and a good set of shocks, 33s maybe and just drive the wheels off of it. I completely understand the need to tweak it, but in my (mis)adventures, I can say there is something awesome about just being able to jump in it and go. If the carb starts giving problems you could bolt on a AFI fuel injection kit and call it done.

Love it! Congrats on the find

Hey Jynx

I'm leaning in that direction. It's already sitting on the 33s and you're right a mild lift and new shocks would give it a new lease on life. May add fuel injection down the line - like you said if the carb starts playing up. I've also considered a vintage air unit later down the line for some heat. Whatever I do I think should be fully removable

Thanks for your input. Always welcome ideas from you guys

Oh he definitely doesn't need to follow my lead, hence my springs, shocks and enjoy recommendation. My batteries are all secure, but that's about all I can say these days :cool:

IMG_0788.PNG
Awesome 45! Great find. I'd like a 45 to add to the collection. But I was thinking I'd have to extend the cab like this one to fit my 6'3" frame in that little cab!

Dan, my wife and I saw you driving around Mt Juliet while we were eating lunch today. She saw the 45 first and said what is that, it looks like a 40, but cooler. I was like yep.

Dan, my wife and I saw you driving around Mt Juliet while we were eating lunch today. She saw the 45 first and said what is that, it looks like a 40, but cooler. I was like yep.

That's awesome!

Havent updated this in a while so here it is ... after fixing the trans seal I decided to look into the brakes as she was pulling to the right when braking. Pulled off the front wheels only to discover it has 4 wheel drum brakes :confused:

I decided to pull off the front drums to see what was going on, and thats when I really opened pandoras box!

Got the idea in my head to do a front disc swap so set about looking for a conversion kit. Ordered one from JT outfitters but after messing around with it and talking to Bobby at TPI as well as other cruiser heads we agreed this wasn't the route to go.

I found an FJ45 front disc axle and then spent the next month doing a complete tear down and rebuild. Hit a few obstacles along the way (like discovering my truck has 4.11s and the donor axle 3.73 amongst other things) but Im happy to say this was a worth while upgrade. I swear it stops better now than my hundy!

Here are some pics ...

You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I brought this home! :rofl:

Just a handful of new parts that went on

Before...

After ...

Done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom