2.2kW Starter Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still starting like a champ.
Have one of these 2.2 starters in route right now. Not wanting to go "unnecessarily" deep with the rebuild...what would you say is a reasonable stopping point?

Just contacts and plunger. I'd strongly consider the grommet and boot unless they're in really good shape. Mine were hard and flaking off.

I finally finished rebuilding my 2.2kw starter and Darkness’ parts list is still accurate. The large o ring is available from Toyota and is the correct one. I used molykote 4700 for the gears and bearings, and sliding parts.

Getting the wire grommet on the wire was the most difficult part of he rebuild for me. Did anyone use grease on the wire to make it slide easier?

AFABF9E1-4200-4DFF-A9A7-A19EDDB417E2.jpeg

Sorry this is absolutely incorrect. The 2.2 IS the 1993-only COLD SPEC starter.

I thought it was the only starter installed on the '93?

True. It's more powerful than the cold spec version.

Maybe? It draws more power, but is the old design, so maybe less efficient? Have not observed any difference in crank speed between the 2.2 and 2.0. Personally, other than the rare factor, don't see any advantage, have turned in a couple of 2.2 starters as cores. Prefer starters with more commonly available parts and the newer, easier to work on, more compact design.

Had my original 2.2 in the truck until 2 weeks ago. Had this thread by @DARKNESS bookmarked and all the spares in my spares box ready when it was time to rebuild. Well, the 2.2 has never failed me, but after 26 years I decided to rebuild it as PM! Took it out to rebuild and dropped a reman Denso 2.0 in its place. The contacts and plunger, were worn but not too bad, there was tons of carbon buildup though in the armature body and both breathers had ripped or broke off. The Denso 2.0 seems to crank longer than my original worn 2.2. It’s super minor and both start the truck fine, just an observation. Gonna put the 2.2 back and keep the 2.0 to cover all bases.

Searched for quite some time for a lowish mileage 1993 with the 2.2kw for the "rare factor". Will be rebuilding and restoring soon...I vote save the mighty 2.2! :flipoff2:
20190122_143756.jpg

Maybe? It draws more power, but is the old design, so maybe less efficient? Have not observed any difference in crank speed between the 2.2 and 2.0. Personally, other than the rare factor, don't see any advantage, have turned in a couple of 2.2 starters as cores. Prefer starters with more commonly available parts and the newer, easier to work on, more compact design.

Yeah I wondered that as well. I'm sure someone on here knows enough about starters to figure it out. Not me unfortunately.

Yeah I wondered that as well. I'm sure someone on here knows enough about starters to figure it out. Not me unfortunately.

IIRC, the gear ratio, tooth count, differs, this affects speed, power and currant draw. Don't know that it really matters, they all work, run what you like? Don't recall ever taking a 1.4 off, have installed them, not the first choice, just what was available on the day of need. By far the most common that we service are 2.0, with a few 2.2 tossed in.

At first there was concern about the 1.4 starters and cold, but they have been on cold trips without any reported issue. The ones we work on live in the desert, with brief visits to cold, so not exactly arctic conditions. The only choice for the F motor guys is the 1.0 and they start fine in cold weather. :meh:

Same grease for A, B, C
Take your pick, but IMO that area needs a Moly fortified grease.
In addition when I rebuilt my 2.2, I first sprayed CRC Dry Moly on all those components including the aluminum surfaces the steel gears spin on
before adding the grease (Molykote G-4700).

If you pull the armature I would clean and repack those bearings using
Mobil Pollyrex EM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom