2.2kW Starter Rebuild (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RTH please.
in the process of replacing the contacts on my starter and just need to verify re assembly order of the contact. Where does the small o-ring go?
image.jpg

@Box Rocket here are some pics of mine. I believe it’s the first thing to go on the exterior of the starter over the bolt.
3D4AAB55-78AD-4465-8160-776B063A167E.jpeg
6134019A-AF0D-4AF3-B801-3B7423481328.jpeg

Of course, you could spend more time cleaning and protecting yours to make it look like Kernal's:

View attachment 912936

And that's it. I haven't installed it yet. I figure someone will identify a huge mistake I made and I'll have to fix it first. Once that's done, I'll throw it in and enjoy an extra 0.2kW of starting power.
Excellent write up, thank you for this.

Nice. Mine is still going strong, although the headgasket currently isn't...

Dude! This is a really nice write up. That same starter design also went in the tundras, the Lexus...All the 1UZ-FE, 2UZ-FE, and 3UZ-FE engines as well. I have what appears to be one out of a Sequoia that is 2.0kw from a junk yard. Much appreciate the threads and links. Not sure if you replaced the clutch bearings, but they are both 6004s, and I upgraded mine to sealed. The one inside the case is a 608, and the on on the gear end of the armature is a 6200. Again, thanks for the documentation!
Looks like the Sequoia is a 2.0KW, denso # 228000-8810

Last edited:
rickyrockrat: have you confirmed that (any of) the starters you mentioned will fit and operate correctly in a FZJ80??

I realize now that I implied it fit the FZJ80. I'm thinking the gear housing is different, but would bet the rest of the parts are interchangeable. So assume those starters do not fit unless someone finds out otherwise. The build is identical, though. I amended my post..was off on one digit (which was why it was 2.7KW, not 2KW). And now I want to see if it fits my FJ60s...It doesn't, not even close.

Last edited:
FWIW, Denso sold the basic design to quite a few manufacturers. The difference appears to be the mounting flange, where there's any difference at all.

Attachments

• Denso Starter parts, 1.0-kW, 1.4-kW, 2.0 -kW.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
Hi guys!
So I have a 93 FZJ80, built date 8/92. In the parts diagram I see to starters compatible with my truck:
12v 2.2KW PN 28100-66050
12v 1.4KW PN 28100-66040

I recently had my OEM starter rebuild, but I am still having some troubles, don't know if it is the starter or what. so I am looking at brand new starters.

Which is the best option? I would say 2.2 KW?

Cheers

Hi guys!
So I have a 93 FZJ80, built date 8/92. In the parts diagram I see to starters compatible with my truck:
12v 2.2KW PN 28100-66050
12v 1.4KW PN 28100-66040

I recently had my OEM starter rebuild, but I am still having some troubles, don't know if it is the starter or what. so I am looking at brand new starters.

Which is the best option? I would say 2.2 KW?

Cheers

So the 2.2 is no longer available - your option would be either 1.4 or 2.0 KWh (rock auto denso)

do you have a 2.2kwh in your hands? post a pic for verification.

So the 2.2 is no longer available - your option would be either 1.4 or 2.0 KWh (rock auto denso)

do you have a 2.2kwh in your hands? post a pic for verification.
I have no idea what I have. currently on the truck, I'll try and sneak a pic in the afternoon.
So any of those will work?

@Nikofzj80 : The internal parts, especially the plunger, are different for the 2.2kW starter compared to the 2.0kW starter, so if the shop that rebuilt your 2.2 starter used the wrong plunger it will give you problems (not cranking when hot for example).

Here's a photo showing the different size starters.

The 2.2kW starter came on the 1993 FZJ80 models (only) but any of the three will fit a FZJ80:

80 series starter comparison 1.4kW  2.0kW 2.2kW.JPG

Photo below compares the plungers for a 2.0kW and 2.2kW Denso/Toyota starters. On the left is the plunger for the 2.0kW starter, plunger for the 2.2kW is on the right (don't have a photo of the plunger for the 1.4kW)

FZJ80 starter plunger differences.JPG

Here's the thread:

Last edited:
@Nikofzj80 : The internal parts, especially the plunger, are different for the 2.2kW starter compared to the 2.0kW starter, so if the shop that rebuilt your 2.2 starter used the wrong plunger it will give you problems (not cranking when hot for example).

Here's a photo showing the different size starters.

The 2.2kW starter came on the 1993 FZJ80 models (only) but any of the three will fit a FZJ80:

View attachment 3278160

Photo below compares the plungers for a 2.0kW and 2.2kW Denso/Toyota starters. On the left is the plunger for the 2.0kW starter, plunger for the 2.2kW is on the right (don't have a photo of the plunger for the 1.4kW)

View attachment 3278163

Here's the thread:

THX!
Today my mechanic added a cable from the solenoid I believe. If I have troubles, I contact that cable to the positive on the battery (white the ignition on of course) and sort of bypasses the the circuit from the key. Just an alternative for not jump starting with another vehicle. Of course this is something for my upcoming trip. On my return we will go through every circuit and cable to find a real solution for the troubles I am having.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom