1hdt alternator help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So for the longest time I've had issues with the dash lights blinking while driving

I suspect it's the alt and not the plug simply based on mileage

I'd read that a tercel alternator fits. But when I bought one, mines different.

Mine was slightly larger and had an oval plug. From reading some older threads this seems to be a slightly newer alternator.

I'll grab the part number off it in the am, but I'm pretty sure it's a 110 amp. Which means the 1fz alternator won't fit.
I'm trying to line up exactly what will fit.
Radd cruisers sells one and mentions it's larger than the early 80 alternator so I'm trying to see if it's correct for me.

Fwiw mines a 91

There are adapters available to adapt between the old and new plugs, or source connectors and make your own.

One example

There are adapters available to adapt between the old and new plugs, or source connectors and make your own.

One example

I didn't want the adapter because I wanted to repin my old one with new plastic.

I found the connector elsewhere today after some more digging. I knew I should've dug more before I posted. Always happens.

So for the longest time I've had issues with the dash lights blinking while driving

I suspect it's the alt and not the plug simply based on mileage

I'd read that a tercel alternator fits. But when I bought one, mines different.

Mine was slightly larger and had an oval plug. From reading some older threads this seems to be a slightly newer alternator.

I'll grab the part number off it in the am, but I'm pretty sure it's a 110 amp. Which means the 1fz alternator won't fit.
I'm trying to line up exactly what will fit.
Radd cruisers sells one and mentions it's larger than the early 80 alternator so I'm trying to see if it's correct for me.

Fwiw mines a 91

Sequoia 150 amp bolts in, just swap the drive pulley. Failing that the HDJ 100 bolts in, two options, 100 and 120 amps, straight bolt in with three pin oval connector.

Regards

Dave

Sequoia 150 amp bolts in, just swap the drive pulley. Failing that the HDJ 100 bolts in, two options, 100 and 120 amps, straight bolt in with three pin oval connector.

Regards

Dave
Everything I read says you need a bracket

Regards

Dave
I've tried and the Sequoia alternator does not bolt in - tried both factory brackets too.

I've tried and the Sequoia alternator does not bolt in - tried both factory brackets too.

If we are talking 1HD-T then I am afraid you are wrong my friend, apart from the body Sequoia being a little wider meaning a minor modification with the adjuster bracket, the length of the mounting lugs on the alternator are identical.

Regards

Dave.

Everything I read says you need a bracket

Not wanting to sound like an arsehole, but one member says he tried two brackets, you read you need a bracket, if we are talking 1 HD-T then only the OE adjuster bracket needs a slight modification, and of course the Sequoia has a serpentine style belt and pulley, the double pulley fits in place of the serpentine one, one nut and done.

In my build thread going back quite a number of years, all the information is there, unfortunately I cannot stay on the internet or even watch TV for too long otherwise I would track it for you.

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
If we are talking 1HD-T then I am afraid you are wrong my friend, apart from the body Sequoia being a little wider meaning a minor modification with the adjuster bracket, the length of the mounting lugs on the alternator are identical.

Regards

Dave.
I'm talking 1HD-T. I've tried it, first a few years ago and again more recently. Using a Sequoia 150A alternator - the distance between the mounting bolts wasn't the same, holes for adjuster bracket didn't line up, and the alternator would foul on the adjuster bracket when trying to swing.

I should say I don't think it would be all that hard to make a bracket that works, but I couldn't see a way to simply modify my existing bracket. Other than cutting off and re-welding the arched portion.

I'm talking 1HD-T. I've tried it, first a few years ago and again more recently. Using a Sequoia 150A alternator - the distance between the mounting bolts wasn't the same, holes for adjuster bracket didn't line up, and the alternator would foul on the adjuster bracket when trying to swing.

I should say I don't think it would be all that hard to make a bracket that works, but I couldn't see a way to simply modify my existing bracket. Other than cutting off and re-welding the arched portion.

Everything in was reading said it needed a custom bracket. But that may have been for gas trucks.

Dave, my point is I couldn't find anything regarding the bracket. All the old pictures were s*** or gone. I'll dig through your thread. Modifying and fabrication is not something I'm afraid of.

Well unless the Sequoia has different alternators (apart from the amperage) then our findings are clearly different. Yes the adjuster bracket is dismantled and a part of it is not used. The actual mounting bracket initially gives the impression that the Sequoia unit does not fit, but there is a spacer in the bracket that allows for manufacturing tolerances, that will move if a nut and bolt is used to slide it right back.

Last week I had to fit the 120 amp version when the repaired Sequoia version failed, I had rin with a stock 80 amp for some time because the Sequoia is not sold in Spain, so spares are like hens teeth.

If you can spare the time to look through my long running thread, you will not only find the details, but also how it was fitted with pictures. If I can find the receipt I will post it up, it will have a date, so tracking down the fitment date in my thread will be easier.

Regards

Dave.

Well unless the Sequoia has different alternators (apart from the amperage) then our findings are clearly different. Yes the adjuster bracket is dismantled and a part of it is not used.

I had to fit the 120 amp version last week when the Sequoia version failed was because the Sequoia is not sold in Spain, so spares are like hens teeth.

If you can spare the time to look through my long running thread, you will not only find the details, but also how it was fitted with pictures. If I can find the receipt I will post it up, it will have a date, so tracking down the fitment date in my thread will be easier.

Regards

Dave.

I'll dig through tonight at work

I swapped in a 1991 Tercel alternator 80A a while ago then I went with M2k.inc for an upgraded alternator
when switching to the 1991 alternator the regulator is different and you have to swap your old pulley over.

here is pics of the tercel alternator

and link to my upgraded m2kinc alternator
1690959711224.png

I swapped in a 1991 Tercel alternator 80A a while ago then I went with M2k.inc for an upgraded alternator
when switching to the 1991 alternator the regulator is different and you have to swap your old pulley over.

here is pics of the tercel alternator

and link to my upgraded m2kinc alternator
View attachment 3390163

I have a 100 amp. The tercel is a smaller body. It doesn't fit.

While chasing reasons for my issue I noted voltage at idle was good. While revving was good. I turned on all my lights, fridge, seat heaters, ac, basically anything that draws power and still had 13.7v at idle.

I then found that the main negative cable at the battery was loose. Not even a little tight.

Removed it. Cleaned for good measure and replaced the hardware before re-installing. Everything seems good now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom