1HDT - HELP: Excessive OIL in the intercooler pipes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I am a bit confused by this and I'm curious is anyone has been in a similar situation:

I have a 1993 HDJ80 with a 1HDT. Stock CT26 Turbo, Stock Tune, etc.

I recently built and installed a front mount air-to-air intercooler in the hopes of lowering my EGTs on long hauls and mountain passes. After the install, everything worked as it should for 200 miles or so, until the silicon coupler slipped on the highway. I (limped) drove on the highway for about 20 more minutes until I could get to a flat NAPA parking lot. When I got out of the car, I found excessive oil everywhere! OH NO! Blown turbo? maybe worse?

IMG_1734.jpeg
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1731.jpeg

The odd thing was the Intercooler pipe had spewed out black and used oil... I had changed my oil to just before this 200 mile trip, so if this was oil straight from the motor, it should still be relatively golden still. I checked my Provent 200 catch can and it was FULL FULL... more full than I would ever let it get. I feel like the intercooler being installed made the catch can fill up faster than normal possibly? Is this possible? I should note there is zero blowby.

Another theory I have is that when the intercooler hose failed and split, it created some sort of vacuum / suction that sucked oil from the motor, into the catch can, into the intake pipe, and then into the intercooler piping. Is this possible?

I feel like my turbo seals are fine because there is no smoke and no oil in the exhaust. Plus, when I put the truck back to stock with the OEM crossover pipe, there is no oil to be seen after 1000 miles in the crossover pipe. It either has to do with the intercooler being installed, or the intercooler blowing and creating a funny reaction. Any help / wisdom is welcome! this is alll new to me!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Subscribing.

Your theory about the hose failing maybe on to something, just trying to think through the reaction of a rapid loss of boost. What type of load were you under? What hose came off?

I had a hose slip once before, startled the crap out of me. However, I didn't end up with oil in the intercooler and the catch can didn't have an excessived amount of oil. Maybe the transmission (standard v. auto) had something to due with the difference in outcomes.

On another note, our 1HD's will turn the oil dark pretty fast after an oil change.

Agreed that the residual soot in these engines can turn new oil dark very quickly.

Which hose slipped off? Was it the intercooler inlet hose where it passes through the firewall, above where all the oil leaked out?

How frequently had you been checking your Provent for levels, and what were you seeing before this incident?

The Safari turbo guide shows to close off the valve cover oil baffles when installing their turbo. This prevents oil sloshing up into the intake.

Step 3: Safari Diesel Intercooled Turbocharger System for the Toyota Land Cruiser 1HZ diesel engine - http://www.safarisnorkel.com/turbo/guides/sthzj70n/sthzj70n_guide.html

There's also a few articles on this online. I found this one pretty interesting.

This may not be your issue at all. But it's certainly easy to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom