1HDT BEB Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering buying a 1997 80 series with the 1HDT engine. It has 126,000 km on the clock. Based upon reading various threads here, it is a good idea to inspect/replace the BEB's. Can that be done with the engine in the truck? Should the rod bearings also be replaced at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would probably not do it, 126,000 Km is not much use. However I have never owned a 1HDT.

if the engine oil pan is able to be replaced without removing the engine id think so could the BEB's.

perhaps its worth doing a oil pressure test before you start looking into doing that?

I'm not sure,

Good luck.

BEB are the rod end bearings which on 12 valve engines are replaced at same time (bolt are torque to yield, one time use).
If 12 valve engine and not done by a reputable shop or yourself, then replace for 'time stamp' of engine service.
Easily done in chassis.

Is the 1997 truck as 24 valve or 12 valve engine? 24 valves different animal see thread linked above.

Is the 1997 truck as 24 valve or 12 valve engine? 24 valves different animal see thread linked above.
The owner claims it is a 1HDT so I assume it is a 12-valve. Since it can be done without pulling the engine, I will probably do it myself.
Yes it can be done easily with the engine in the truck. Just replace the conrod bearings for peace of mind!

Official 1HD-T 1HD-FT 1HD-FTE and 1HZ BEB thread | IH8MUD Forum
Thanks for the link. I knew the issue had been discussed many times but somehow couldn't find the thread.

You might want to do an oil analysis with Black stone first. $35 and Blackstone will provide a detailed report.

The 126,00 km truck turned out to be a 426,000 km truck with many, many problems so I decided to pass on it. Instead I picked up a 2003 Prado with the 1KZ turbo diesel. Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom