1HD-T injector removal prep (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New to the forum - I'm adding this some months on but felt compelled to express thanks to HillCountryTX for the effort. The trick for tapping them up worked sweet and eased my stress level of maybe screwing something up on a first time job.

Engine running got progessively rougher and not helping with low rev rattles at all. More black belch at startup too and idle speed has dropped away after being stable for years. Maybe pump needs a look but hoping not. Cheers to all

HDJ81 1990
Ongoing project and money pit

@4byfour, thanks! I'm glad this thread was helpful for you. The trick for tapping them to get the injectors out is all @Sarmajor ! Without that little trick I think I would still be spraying PB Blaster and trying to use a slide hammer or something :)

Sorry the injector change out didn't fix your issue. I changed my injectors out after about 144,000 kms on the engine, thinking that would increase our relatively poor fuel mileage (12mpg - 17 mpg, US Gallons), but it didn't really change the fuel mileage at all. I'm thinking it is either our Injection Pump (IP), or some fuel setting that I just don't have the knowledge/tools (i.e. EGT probe, etc.) to diagnose and fix.

Did you have black smoke before, has it gone now?

Thanks. That's the same mileage that we're all getting in Canada (we've been blessed with the HDJ81's since 2005).

The best I know of is a buddy with a 5-spd HDJ81 who gets 15 mpg, but average is about 17 mpg. 17 is what I've been getting since I got the truck in 2008.

In my opinion, the 1HD-T (which is awesome) just doesn't get great mileage.

When I had my BJ74 I would get 27 mpg.
My HDJ-81 has the automatic and I just got back from a 3400 mile trip through the western states. I checked each fill for mpg: 21.5 mpg high to 19.5 low, with a majority of driving at 20.5 mpg. I found that keeping the engine below 2400 (hence a cruise speed below 70 mpg) contributes to decent mileage. No roof accessories but we were loaded and used that A/C and center console fridge.
Scot

Im still waiting for my rebuilt injectors to be returned. I have gone the rebuild route. With down time so far Im thinking I should have pulled the pump at the same time for bench testing. Gut feeling is that Im gonna end up doing that way anyway.
I replaced the thermo wax plunger gizmo years ago with a blanking plate and that fixed idle issues at the time. Also, since installing Webasto about 5 years ago I have never observed any diesel seep from seals in winter. My inclination was to leave the pump well alone, but with all the info on Mud I feel a little more at ease with the prospect. I like to do stuff myself - tou know whats actually been done & save $$.

Thank you for tip, especially how to get nozzles out with the clamp method. Worked fine.
I just changed nozzles on my 94 HDT 80. 400.000 km on odo, 160.000 since last nozzle overhaul. It smoked pretty much, and consumption has been 1.1-1.2 litre/10 km normal driving. On higway at 120 km/h, up to 1.4 liter/ 10k with roof tent, that is.

Tip for getting the nozzle leakage pipe back into place: Put on only the inner bolt first, with gasket. Then insert one gasket on next nozzle underneat nozzle leakage pipe that will hold the gasket in place. Insert bolt. And then the next one etc.
Will come back on new diesel milage.

More part numbers for this thread in regards to the 1993/94 1HD-T injector washers.

EPC lists 11176-17020 for 93/94 1HD-T as well as for the 1HD-FT in many markets. These are discontinued and there is no sub from what I've seen on EPC. There is reference here to using the same washer on the 1HD-T from late 1992 (date of the injection pump/injector/piston change) through 1995/98 on the 1HD-FT. The injector washer number is 11176-27011, which in EPC is good for the 1HD-FTE and 15BT in certain markets. New it is 3.5mm thick (as opposed to the early 1HD-T which is thinner).

A buddy had a Diesel Performance Parts (DPP) 1HZ/1HD-T engine gasket kit I took a look at. It comes with all washers for the the early 1HD-T, late 1HD-T and 1HZ injectors. I checked the late 1HD-T ones and compared them to 11176-27011.

The DPP and OEM are within 0.026mm. So for anyone who is looking for a sub for "seat, injection nozzle" 11176-17020 there you go.

For some reason this shows as a good part in the North American system.

Copper is the DPP washer and silver is the OEM washer.

hth's
gb

IMG_7044.jpg
Washer DPP.jpg
Washer OEM.jpg

Last edited:
Where can I find out if injectors PN 23600-17010 (1991 HDJ81) are compatible with injection pump PN 22100-17620 (1993 HDJ81 (mine))?
On Partsouq for the PN 22100-17620 inj pump, it only lists 3 injectors w PN 23600-1703[0,1,or 2].

Curious if the 23600-17010 injectors will work with my injection pump above.

Last edited:
Where can I find out if injectors PN 23600-17010 (1991 HDJ81) are compatible with injection pump PN 22100-17620 (1993 HDJ81 (mine))?
On Partsouq for the PN 22100-17620 inj pump, it only lists 3 injectors w PN 23600-1703[0,1,or 2].

Curious if the 23600-17010 injectors will work with my injection pump above.
Post a 'wanted' add in the classified section... I think @SteveJackson may have had some for sale.

Quick check here's a lightly used set:

This one is giving me fits. So close to firewall. All the others came out so easy using your method

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom