1FZ power steering pump replacement... (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mason - new gasket on the high pressure port? If not, that may be the issue.

DougM

I recently helped change one of these on a '96. I noticed that Toyota has upgraded the sealing washer at the high pressure port. The old style used copper washers, the new style uses an aluminum one piece double washer that makes it impossible to put on the wrong way. Another nice silent upgrade by Mr. Toy.

A small 3 jaw puller works better than a two jaw puller. That's the only change I would offer to Dan's original write up on the topic.

Power steering pump bleed

Sorry fellas but i need the mud gods to look down on me and help!!!

How does one get all the air out of the lines. Mine kept overflowing the res and pouring down the engine. DO I just let it overflow and add??? It also looks like there is a tone of tiny air bubbles in the fluid... Also do you bleed this with the cap on the res???/ Please help :bang:

Bleeding

To bleed, I put the front end on jackstands, I filled to the cold level line, then start the truck, and slowly turned steering wheel from lock to lock, holding at full lock for a couple of seconds, then turn to the other side. Repeat back and forth. Stop truck. Check fluid level. Top off. Start truck, run steering wheel from lock to lock again. Recheck. Etc. I then lowered the truck and checked it all again.

This is basically what the FSM says to do, but they are not specific about the truck being on stands. I figured it best not to put any load on the system until I knew it was well bled.

I did prime the pump before attaching the hoses as Dan mentioned.

YMMV

R.

I held the gear with a gloved hand (very heavy leather) when I rattled the nut off and on. It is possible to put the gear in a soft-jawed vice and use a breaker bar but I prefer not to subject the teeth to that stress. The impact makes quick work of the nut. It would be impossible to hold the gear by hand and remove the nut with a hand wrench.

I had issues getting the nut off as I didn't have an impact wrench. What I did is place 2 strips of 2x1 wood in my vice jaws between them and the gear. Clamp down nice and tight and the gear bites into the wood and stays pretty well, allowing you to use a breaker bar if you don't have an impact wrench.

-Phil

To bleed, I put the front end on jackstands, I filled to the cold level line, then start the truck, and slowly turned steering wheel from lock to lock, holding at full lock for a couple of seconds, then turn to the other side. Repeat back and forth. Stop truck. Check fluid level. Top off. Start truck, run steering wheel from lock to lock again. Recheck. Etc. I then lowered the truck and checked it all again.

This is basically what the FSM says to do, but they are not specific about the truck being on stands. I figured it best not to put any load on the system until I knew it was well bled.

I did prime the pump before attaching the hoses as Dan mentioned.

YMMV

R.

I tried this at first and was never able to get my system free of air. Here is what I did to clear up my groaning issues:

to bleed, do this: fill the system to proper capacity, jack up the front end, slowly turn wheel from lock to lock about 10 times (engine off). Watch the fluid level to make sure you don't suck in more air. Put the lid back on lightly and let it sit for an hour or so. Repeat this process like 3 times. Have a friend watch and once you get to the point where there are no air bubbles coming up in the reservoir and the fluid level remains constant, you can be pretty sure you've bled it properly. It should be OK to drop it and start the engine now. Turn the wheel lock to lock a couple times and listen for moaning.

X2 on priming the pump and lines - this helps dramatically.

-Phil

Can someone confirm applicability of this write-up to a 1996 LX450?

93-97 80 Series and 96-97 LX450.

Same procedure.

I just did this recently. I had the same issue as Dan, with the port coming loose before the fitting. After that, I wasn't able to get a wrench on to hold it while I worked at the fitting. My solution to that was to simply remove the whole shebang....high pressure hose and all, and then get the hose off the pump. This was possible because I had the flare wrenches to remove the hose fittings from the steering box.

After I got the whole thing out where i could work on it, removing the hose fitting from the pump was easy.

Removing the gear seemed a little dicey. I have a three-pronged gear puller, but have never used it before. Having cranked away on the gear puller with no apparent movement, all of the sudden the gear popped loose with a "bang". Im not sure that is the way its supposed to happen, but it seemed undamaged, and I got it back onto the new pump with no problem. I didn't have a vise handy, but had some super heavy C clamps and some extra 2x 4 s that worked OK as a substitute. Not great, just OK.

I followed the FSM bleeding procedure which basically is to put the axle up on stands and crank the steering wheel side to side repeatedely...say at least three times, and the more the better. Then you start it and crank the wheel to the end of the travel and hold it there for a while and then do the other side and check for bubbles in the reservoir. If you see them, you repeat the bleed procedure, and if they're still there, you start looking for leaks.

I think it is well worth it to have the flare wrench on hand for the hose fittings. I certainly needed it. Its a 17MM. I had considered rebuilding my pump, but after looking at how apparently complex the pump is, and the various vanes that are supposed to be measured for tolerances, I chickened out and just bought a new pump from Dan, so now I have an extra one available.

Last edited:
I did this job in 04 on my 97. I did not have the proper gear puller at the time so I paid a local shop to remove the gear. After I installed the new pump I had a loud whine. The gear was damaged by the shop that removed it. The damage was very hard to find. I replaced the gear and everything was fine. Bleeding was covered; had no problems with mine.

Be careful with the gear!

Dan,
I will be calling Monday to order some parts, my mechanic has determined that the pump needs replacement and I am losing fluid into the crank case as well. So I am sure I need some seals etc.. I may need a drive gear as well so I will be sure to talk to you and get all the items I could need for this job. Great write up and I will be referring to it when I help him do this job.

Just did this the other day, my suggestion is to just remove the reservoir to save yourself the headache of working around it. I also removed my oil filter, because I didn't have an extension that was a good length to work around it. Another tip: if you don't have a nice thick glove to use for holding the pulley, you can use a big set of channel-lock pliers and a rag to protect the gear splines. Be sure to compare the height of the gear as installed before removing and reinstalling, so you don't have a ticking noise upon reassembly/reinstallation.

subscribing...

I ended up cutting the high pressure line after the nut loosened up. I had a new one ready for it. I also ended up adding loc tite to the nut after rebuilding it. I thought about adding a tack weld.

I used the strap wrench for the gear and 3 gear puller.

Even though this thread is about removal. I would like to add...becarful removing the bearing seal and don't damage the bearing that the shafts rides on.

Also, make sure to look at the vanes on reinstallation so that the rounded edges face out.

Helpful special tool : 15/16" open end crows foot wrench.

In regards to getting the the high pressure hose off of the high pressure port fitting right below it, mine is 15/16" rather than 13/16" as Dan mentions, and I could not get any regular length open end wrench in the tight space. Best to have a 15/16" open end crows foot wrench in hand before starting the job.

Gear pulling tip :

Here is a tip for easily pulling the gear off, even if your gear puller is cheap & weak.

1) Leave the nut in place on the shaft, unscrewed just a little.
2) Put the gear puller in place and put a medium amount of tension on it. No need for brute strength.
3) Give a sharp whack the SIDE of the nut with a brass drift & hammer, at right angle to the shaft.

The sharp impulse creates a pressure wave that releases the shaft. The same thing works for tie rod ends, pressing suspension bushings out, and cone washers on hubs.

Cheers.

I have supplied several power steering pumps to board members over the last few years but I do not recall any of them detailing the actual replacement.

Mine has been seeping out the back cover for some time now and I decided that I wanted to replace it in preparation for our annual trip to Cruise Moab.

I respectfully submit my observations regarding this job:

Preparation:
Have on hand a new pump, body o-ring, high pressure gaskets and a quart of PS fluid.
In addition, a well-stocked tool box with metric tools, torque wrenches and a gear puller is a must.

I started by removing the high-pressure line banjo-bolt. This requires a 22mm socket, a wobbly and enough extensions to get your ratchet/breaker bar hooked up so that you clear the battery box.
In my case the high pressure port broke loose from the pump body before the banjo bolt let go and as a result I had to head back to the tool box. I selected a 13/16 open-end wrench and fitted it to the high pressure port so that I could hold it in place as I broke the banjo-bolt loose. After I removed the banjo-bolt I removed the return hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump outlet. I used Vicegrips to compress the clamps that retain the hose.
The next step involves removing the nuts (2) that retain the pump. I used a 14mm socket and a long breaker-bar to break the nuts loose. I got the lower one from under the vehicle and the upper one from the engine compartment. I then removed the nuts.

The pump comes out from under the vehicle. Once is has beeen removed it is necessary to remove the gear from the pump shaft. I used a 17mm socket and an impact wrench to remove the nut. I then used a two jaw puller to remove the gear from the pump shaft. I ended up using my impact wrench to rattle the puller enough to pop the gear off.
After the gear was removed I transfered the gear and key to the new pump. I used my impact wrench to install the nut on the shaft (torque spec 54lbft). I then installed a new o-ring to the pump body and re-installed the pump from under the vehicle.

The pump attaching nuts are torqued to 27lbft. At this point I reinstalled the return hose from the reservoir to the pump and I added some fluid until it started to come out of the high-pressure port and the hose. At that point I reinstalled the highpressure line with a new gasket.
I then torqued the banjo bolt to 54lbft and added enough fluid to get close to the line.
Next step is to start the engine and check for leaks. Turn the wheel side-to-side several times to bleed air out and heat the system. Add fluid to the correct level and congratulate yourself on a job well done.......

D-

EDIT NOTE:

The 17mm nut retaining the pump gear requires a 12 point socket.

I held the gear with a gloved hand (very heavy leather) when I rattled the nut off and on. It is possible to put the gear in a soft-jawed vice and use a breaker bar but I prefer not to subject the teeth to that stress. The impact makes quick work of the nut. It would be impossible to hold the gear by hand and remove the nut with a hand wrench.

A Toyota part number list would be handy for this thread.
New pump, HP line, LP line, any other deals & gaskets.

Definitely! All in favor of @jjdeneen918 searching and collecting part numbers for this thread, like this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom