1996 Land Cruiser repower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess would be whatever a 100 series can tow x2 :D Jk.. We'll I would imagine the same as 100 series due to the fact they are close in construction. There are more variables that play in this also. You figure drivetrain wise you could pull whatever a 3/4ton truck would if you run the 6.0l due to they came in the trucks..

A stock 4L60e is rated at 13,500 lbs GCVW - so take the total loaded weight of the 80 and subtract that number from the trans rating to get the theoretical tow rating. Most will find that the remaining value is higher that the capacity of the factory receiver hitch. so basically the tow rating stays the same, but performance in improved significantly while towing. running a 4l80e would increase the trans rating, but the hitch (and potentially axles and brakes) would still be the rate limiting factor.

Well put Rockrod

image-2356389044.jpg

Went with a supra pump!

image-2356389044.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow, that's a giant pump!!

My mistake, I thought they put the 5.3 in the trucks and I thought you had the truck motor. So basically its going to get about 15 mpg ;)

4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 small blocks were placed in the trucks

Awesome swap.. you make it seem so easy to do.. Can you put up a document on what needs to be done for the swap to be successful? I am sure a lot of us would benefit from this swap, if going to a Toyota V8 or Diesel swap isnt an option.

Thanks again !!!

Comparing the GM v8 line vs the Toyota 4.7L what would sway you to the 4.7 more besides the name?

Nothing.. except the purist in everyone of us, but the realist in me says that I cant throw down 25k for a toyota v8 swap. Thats why this swap is so appealing and SME's (subject matter expert) like you can provide the correct knowledge on how to do this swap and erxactly what it entails when we board this LS swap ship.

I just found this thread - very cool and well done! :cool:

Nothing.. except the purist in everyone of us, but the realist in me says that I cant throw down 25k for a toyota v8 swap. Thats why this swap is so appealing and SME's (subject matter expert) like you can provide the correct knowledge on how to do this swap and erxactly what it entails when we board this LS swap ship.

several of us have documented our swaps. Each is a little difference but collectively it's all out there.

Maybe it's time for a sticky to pull all of the v8 swaps together in one place? There's even a few that document the iforce swap too.

Comparing the GM v8 line vs the Toyota 4.7L what would sway you to the 4.7 more besides the name?

the 4.7l is a great motor, but to procure one, plus a trans is simply staggering in cost. plus it makes a max of around 250 hp. The GM 4.8l makes more than that.

So the million dollar question, what kind of gas mileage can you expect with that 5.3 ? What are your getting with your 6.0 ?

over the winter I was getting close to 17mpg. This summer it's been worse because I run the a/c constantly, and I switch to a clutch fan. I am seeing about 15 right now.

It doesn't make the economy worse, but it certainly delivers a big punch in power. Passing slower cars is a breeze. No longer do you have to live in the slow lane.:D

several of us have documented our swaps. Each is a little difference but collectively it's all out there.

Maybe it's time for a sticky to pull all of the v8 swaps together in one place? There's even a few that document the iforce swap too.

I agree for a v8 sticky, it woud be good to know who has done these swaps and their build threads..

Cheers and keep ths pics coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom