Builds 1995 PZJ75 refurbish/build up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thank you Kyle for the compliment.

i do not know how long the fab shop will have the truck this time but as soon as i get the truck back i will post pics of the finished tray back.
cheers

Hey Wayne, Your due for an update, Please.

Wayne:

Looks like you have alot more room up front with that 1PZ, than I have with my 1HZ with the auto, air-conditioning and extra cylinder - I don't think I could mount an intercooler in front of the rad and keep the stock grill..

But if I decide I need to intercool, it may end up being like a WRX or STI, with the intercooler horizontally mounted above the engine, and a big scoop on the hood to feed it air - a few advantages to this approach are that the air flow through the rad would not be restricted or pre-heated, there would be more air moving through the engine compartment to take away the turbo heat, and the runs of the pressure piping would be as short as possible.

But I'm not sure if I like the idea of cutting a hole in the hood!

But a big cowl induction scoop may look okay.

Jim

i was over at PDP today looking at Bruce's intercooler (Lownebrau on the forum) and i really like the way he installed his setup. the only downside (if you can really call it a downside) is you need about a 2" body lift to make it clear the hood and the steering box...
i am not sure how the hood scoop would look on a 70 series, it might look fine if the right scoop was selected but then if i was mud running the scoop might pull the muddy water right in on top of the engine. the other upside would be the increased air flow to the engine compartment as you said so for a highway rig that might just be the ticket....
humm, what to do...
update on the tray back:
there is no update...
<frustration seriously setting in>
cheers

If it has to be centered, 1" of body lift would do it. I went with 1.5" so I could use the bumpers from the BJ70 which had a 1.5" lift on the new BJ74 project. The fact that it helped the intercooler was a big bonus. If a person whas committed to what side of the rig he wanted the steering box on (I am not) you could move the intercooler a bit to the other side and get away with no body lift, I think.

I'll start a new thread with my turbo project

<edit> here's the thread with pics...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=939868#post939868

Last edited:
let's see the new custom bumper is sittng at the powder coaters, should be back today or tomorrow.
the 35" Good Year ATS are now on.
the 8274 is waiting for the bumper.
the roof and back have been removed.
the aluminum checkerplate is waiting to replace the door panels
the carpet is coming out for the summer
the bed has been raised 2" to clear the oversize boots
the drawers are now 6" deep vs the previous 4"
the factory windsheild hold downs are on their way from California (www.westcoastcruisers.org )

other than that the intercooler is still sitting on the shelf as is the Propane injection kit
teh 4.56s might be swapped for a set of 4.11s

i have been waiting to get the bumper installed to take some more shots and post them up.
cheers and thanks for asking

Hey Wayne,

If you have some wide boots on your rig, you might want to consider some nice "factory like" fender flares for the front and rear. I guess I don't have to tell you where you can get those ;)

crushers said:
let's see the new custom bumper is sittng at the powder coaters, should be back today or tomorrow.
the 35" Good Year ATS are now on.
the 8274 is waiting for the bumper.
the roof and back have been removed.
the aluminum checkerplate is waiting to replace the door panels
the carpet is coming out for the summer
the bed has been raised 2" to clear the oversize boots
the drawers are now 6" deep vs the previous 4"
the factory windsheild hold downs are on their way from California (www.westcoastcruisers.org )

other than that the intercooler is still sitting on the shelf as is the Propane injection kit
teh 4.56s might be swapped for a set of 4.11s

i have been waiting to get the bumper installed to take some more shots and post them up.
cheers and thanks for asking

welllll...
i don't have anywhere to mount rear flares.
;^)
and i do have a set of front here already but if i didn't i would be giving you a call...
cheers

Ok Wayne, Need new pics of this truck!!!!!!!! looking forward to how it has evolved :)

the "new" bumper is now completed but no new sides. i will try and get some pics of the bumper up soon.
thanks for asking
cheers

crushers said:
the "new" bumper is now completed but no new sides. i will try and get some pics of the bumper up soon.
thanks for asking
cheers

Wayne you are such a tease....Just take the darn picturs and post them:D

well.
as you know i started loosing interest in this project when it took almost a year to get the trayback done, it still isn't completed. not even close. the shop that is doing the flat deck does FANTASTIC work, he is an artist to say the least but for some reason my projects end up at the bottom of the pile and keep getting bumped back there. I really don't understand why, i pay cash, never dicker on the price (since he knows his stuff and does such great workmanship). the last thing i built for the truck was the bumper, it is my design (some of which i "borrowed" from other fabicators and some of which i incorporated). i think it is a great, light weight, strong setup that allows for the 8274, 4 off road lights, no approach angle concerns and drives the trees or animals under the truck instead of into the cab area.

sad to say, when i started down this road i had high hopes and ideals, expenses and relying on other people to help when needed. once commited, the actual expense out ran the budget and concesions i accepted had to be made. when the project hit a wall then slowly the love of the project died and once the desire has died and there is no forseeable cure to the concerns , then it is time to move on.

the project is dead. the custom bumper is coming off and the truck is gone. end of this story.
small stock pic.jpg
it starts.jpg
side shot.jpg

So what happened to it ????

installed on the truck, soon to be taken back off and install on my bush rig. note the clearence as well as the strength points. i bolted to the frame as well as the two side supports. the whole idea was to give the bumper support from more than just the frame horns that the TJM/ARB bumpers use...
installed PZJ705 bumper 001.jpg
installed PZJ705 bumper 002.jpg
installed PZJ705 bumper 003.jpg

the last 2 shots.
i designed it so that if i wanted to i could add a set of fender protect side bars but never got that far.
installed PZJ705 bumper 007.jpg
installed PZJ705 bumper 008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom