1991 FJ80 3FE conversion to 1HZ-turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm new to the IH8MUD, and in my first post of course I want to solicit help from the other subscribers.

Firstly, I am the proud owner of a 1991 Toyota FJ80 3FE. My rig only has 148k miles on it. I have had the vehicle for 2 years and I absolutely love it. Recently, I have acquired a 1HZ-turbo with only 19k miles. The turbo is a DTS turbo with a HPD intercooler. All is in great working order!

This brings me to the reason for my post. I want to know if anyone wants to do a diesel conversion before I wing it myself. From what I can tell there is alot of more talented individuals with the experience and love for doing builds like this, and makeing video blogs about them. I mean this is a FJ80 3FE petrol to a 1HZ-T diesel. Keeping it true to Toyota is important to me.

End state for this build is to create an iconic overlanding dream, and take it across America to tour the most austere and demanding places only the most capable vehicles can go.

So if you are interested in doing what I believe would be a popular video series amongst Land Cruiser enthusiasts let me know.

Finally, Im looking for sponsers for this build. So again thanks for your time.
20200811_003534.jpg
20200811_003938.jpg

EGTs is a major concern with a turboed 1HZ.

NA Toyota diesels are indirect injection with a precombustion chamber. Factory turbo diesels are direct injection. Compression is a little lower on a factory turbo vs NA. The top of the pistons are also different.

Many Aussies have turboed the 1HZ but keeping temps under control is key.

Cheers

I’m interested in the project. I have a shop in Orlando

Update
I have decided to attempt the conversion myself... I have successful pulled the 3FE and the transmission. The idea was to mate the 1HZ to the A440F by way of a different bellhousing. I assumed that the flexplate/driveplate would be interchangeable, but that isn't the case. The back end of the crankshafts are different (bolt pattern and center hole). Going over COAs, none of which I'm sure will work.

COA 1 swap back end of crankshaft from the 3FE to the 1HZ, and get a bellhousing that mates with the 1HZ.

COA 2 convert to a manual (R151F), and all that goes with it.

COA 3 go with LS swap 😒

Any thoughts y'all?

I have a rebuilt H55f 5-speed with the correct bell housing sitting in my barn. Just a couple hour drive for you.

It was great meeting @jmlockwood and the H55f is going to be a life saver for this build. Truly a great guy.

I owe everyone an update post this weekend on the status of the build, and a status on the 1HZ mated with H55f pre-install.

Great project, good luck! @jmlockwood awesome, this is what mud is all about.

que patriotic music,Murica flag, fireworks and guns...
End state for this build is to create an iconic overlanding dream, and take it across America to tour the most austere and demanding places only the most capable vehicles can go.

I would say you have been drooling over @wngrog insta and caught a little @Ali Ali Ali fever, but then @wngrog doesnt like 💩 80s and you seem to follow advice so I have faith this build is going somewhere.

Sounds like a fun build. :beer:

Okay, where to begin.

Once I had the 1HZ mated to the H55F I was able to determine that none of the original mounting locations would work. I found a local metal fabricator and welder to design mounting brackets and weld them to the frame, but he got busy with post hurricane Lura relief in Louisiana. Luckily I was able to find another metal fab shop to do the work. The mounting brackets are expected to be ready this week, but I will have to put on my welder's hat and mount them myself.

While waiting I spent my time ordering a ton of parts. Most of them has arrived.

I replaced all the front and rear control arms, sway bars, linking bushings. I already had OME suspension, but I went ahead a replace the old shocks with new ones from OME.

I can't wait to get the mounting brackets so I can move this project along.

@CarolinaCrusier I am in need of a head for a 3FE. I am trying to get my son's first project on the road. Let me know what you plan to do with the 3FE.

I have always planned to sell the 3FE and A440F w transfer case once I have determine that I no longer need to hang onto them. FYI, the 3FE and A440F have only 148K miles on them, and work perfectly.

Its my dream to put a 5 speed and a diesel in my 1991 Fj80. I feel like it would really make the 80 shine. at the very least I have always been interested in swapping a 5 speed manual and swapping out the a440f trans. I hope your project is still on track and I cant wait to see what you come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom