Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Leafs were completely shot in the front. Maybe 1/2" at most space between bumpstops and bushings falling apart. OME heavy fronts and rears. All new leafs, shocks, bushings, greasable shackles and pins. Many thanks to Ward, Georg, Alberto, Onur and Charles for their help and patience with me getting the new kit. I almost killed my self a few times getting out of it. Sits about 3.5" higher due to how sagged the old leafs were. Brake lines didn't need to be extended. Alberto will be helping me later this week to get the rear brakes back to normal. With the lift they have become slower and more stiff. Which I was told is common. Sadly I did not tackle this myself, took a local shop a little under eight hours. I'm not sure if that is common, but Georg informed me it usually takes them 5-7 hours.
IMG_5874.JPG
IMG_5875.JPG
IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5879.JPG

Leafs were completely shot in the front. Maybe 1/2" at most space between bumpstops and bushings falling apart. OME heavy fronts and rears. All new leafs, shocks, bushings, greasable shackles and pins. Many thanks to Ward, Georg, Alberto, Onur and Charles for their help and patience with me getting the new kit. I almost killed my self a few times getting out of it. Sits about 3.5" higher due to how sagged the old leafs were. Brake lines didn't need to be extended. Alberto will be helping me later this week to get the rear brakes back to normal. With the lift they have become slower and more stiff. Which I was told is common. Sadly I did not tackle this myself, took a local shop a little under eight hours. I'm not sure if that is common, but Georg informed me it usually takes them 5-7 hours. View attachment 1367011View attachment 1367013View attachment 1367014View attachment 1367016
Beauty, my friend! :bounce::bounce2: I didn't do 'nuffin, but I like to see people say nice things.....

Did you also order the crotch-spreader for chubby short guys trying to get in the truck? :steer:

Looks great, a little lean is standard affair.

My springs were in similar shape, your gonna love how it handles both the road and trails now. One of the best things I'v done on mine so far.

Looks great! I had the same problem with my suspension, but did a budget refresh (bushings, shocks, re-arched springs) on it for now. Having support on this forum from all the guys you mentioned makes this a fantastic place to be!!

(edit) Just realized I haven't read your thread... I'm going to have to starting reading from the beginning :beer:

Last edited:
Nigel,

To return the brake system to how it was prior to installing the lift, we need to extend the arm of the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve (LSPV) arm to the rear axle.

I tried to find a good photo online of the extension to the LSPV but came empty-handed. I deleted mine so I don't have any good images of how it was done to my truck prior to me deleting it. Maybe somebody can post a good image or way to extend the connection to return it to "stock" settings.

I remember it not being anything elaborated on my truck, but can't find anything that shows how it was done.

Good info @AlbertoSD !! I'm also experiencing a change in brake feel after the lift.

Young child: "Mommy, look at that jeep!"
Mother: "That's a Land Cruiser hunny. Do you like it?"
Young child: "Yaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Thank you good mother for correcting your child.

Edit. I really hate posting while on my phone. Autocorrect and my lack of dexterity plague me.
Things I hear on a daily basis .....
1) Cool Jeep dude.
2) Is it legal to have the steering wheel on the right side? (I explain that it's highly illegal but that's the way I roll)
3) Is it difficult to drive RHD? (I tell them that after the 3rd beer it almost seems natural)
4) One elderly gentleman in a restaurant asked me if the periscope (snorkel) allowed me to see while I was under water.
(This was a serious question so I took several minutes to compose an answer)
5) Cool Isuzu dude.

Last edited:
Does anyone have suggestions for brake pads? I replaced mine two or so years ago with cheap autozone duralast pads. I believe they are ceramic brake pads, but I can't remember. I've been told ceramic pads are hard on the rotors and I'd like to put better pads in.

I've had a pretty bad wheel squawk for a while and originally thought it was a stone, then wheel bearings, now possibly brake pads. I had the bearings looked at and apparently they looked brand new, so they weren't replaced. The next guess is the brake pads causing the noise, so I would like to replace them.

Thanks for the help,
Nigel

So in need of some help here...my local auto-part store doesn't have anything that comes close to the negative battery cable that I need. Does anyone know where I can source one or how to replace it?

BJ73 is currently dead in the water....dead on the ground....until I can replace that cable.

Thanks,
Nigel

IMG_7799.JPG

Nigel
I had a cable made at a local industrial battery shop. Maybe look in your area for a similar place where you can take your old one in for them to use as a template?
Good luck!
Peter

Thanks Peter, didn't think of that. A quick google search didn't bring up anything like that in my area, but I'll start calling around. I'm thinking that may be my only option. In over four years this is the first time my cruiser is sitting helplessly in the garage and all that needs to be replaced is a bloody cable.....sucks.

You can buy bulk cable, lugs and a swaging tool at Napa. Then you can build your own cables.

Awesome. Thanks Dan. A friend here just referred me to someone I'm waiting to hear back from and rob smith mentioned about Napa as well. So that's good to hear I can go there as a last resort and do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom