Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Starting to pull like a mule and getting quieter. Pulled the pickup about a foot back when i hit the brakes to add some tension and put some stress on it.

That certainly looks nice Charles. I have a few kinks in mine and a few areas where some strands are broken so I will probably replace the line in the future.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436123191.555925.jpg

Last edited:
Pto is re-seized. Broke two hardened steel Allen wrenches and a nail. Going to pull it out again break it free, drain fluid and drill for 1/4" bolt. The pto worked fine in first gear, but second seemed to lock it back up.

Finally got oil filter off, was way over-tightened. Destroyed a hose while getting it off. Luckily a local place was able to reuse the banjo clamps and fit this together.

Some news to post for the few of you who follow this thread. A buddy of mine while I was on shift said he thought he saw my truck on an Instagram page (I don't have one), well he certainly did after he showed me and I confirmed it. Kind of cool, I thought. Got a lot of likes on the photographers page.

With the help of a good family friend I did the front brakes today. The driver side left calipers were seized pretty bad and obvious more wear was on the side, but we bled while we pried and finally got enough room to slip the knew pads in. Thanks the Alberto and Wayne i found out 70 series share the same as 60 series since I panicked when local auto parts store got very confused...as usual. I called back and told them, choosing a random year, I had a 1982 fj60. Both autozone and Napa had pads in stock. $30 at Napa and $13 at autozone which included a life time warranty with autozone. I have no idea how the autozone ones will last, but the cruiser is braking better than before and they fit perfect.

Tires were also rotated.

Cheers.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892264.533564.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892275.755401.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892287.595373.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892296.480062.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892306.835334.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438892315.739688.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, Nigel, that's shiny!

Some news to post for the few of you who follow this thread. A buddy of mine while I was on shift said he thought he saw my truck on an Instagram page (I don't have one), well he certainly did after he showed me and I confirmed it. Kind of cool, I thought. Got a lot of likes on the photographers page.

With the help of a good family friend I did the front breaks today. The driver side left calipers were seized pretty bad and obvious more wear was on the side, but we bled while we pried and finally got enough room to slip the knew pads in. Thanks the Alberto and Wayne i found out 70 series share the same as 60 series since I panicked when local auto parts store got very confused...as usual. I called back and told them, choosing a random year, I had a 1982 fj60. Both autozone and Napa had pads in stock. $30 at Napa and $13 at autozone which included a life time warranty with autozone. I have no idea how the autozone ones will last, but the cruiser is braking better than before and they fit perfect.

Tires were also rotated.

Cheers.

View attachment 1116881View attachment 1116882View attachment 1116883View attachment 1116884View attachment 1116885View attachment 1116886

The part number was 897600-30206, now discontinued. It is the same bearing on both ends of the worm.

Much appreciated. I'm hoping the bearing place may be able to make something. They were referred to me by a pretty reliable source informing me they can do just about anything. So we will see. The worm gear got a bit chewed up too, I'm hoping I can file down some of the burs if I'm able to source the bearings.

Thanks. As much as it sucks seeing it shredded, at least I know the issue. Hopefully it can be fixed. Last time a hose got shredded I was able to have one custom made. Maybe I'll get lucky.

If anyone needs a pto bearing here is the bearing number for replacement. I was able to source a seal as well. $30 for seal and bearing. Putting it back together Thursday. Hopefully fixes the issue. Spurs were taken down too.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441739746.204400.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441739755.205564.jpg

Has anyone tried putting in a smaller bolt rather than drilling out for the 1/4 instead of shear pin? I'm really hesitant to drill out. I'm pretty sure a 4.5mm bolt will fit and I know a 4mm bolt will fit. The size of the hole is 11/64". Trying to think of alternative solutions to drilling it out, someone prior did drilling (not 1/4") and got a bit close to the edge.

I have a 4mm bolt in mine right now along with a custom aluminum shim (Coors Light can) around the worm shaft to take up the slop between the yoke and the shaft.

I haven't used it in anger yet so I don't know how "durable" it is.........:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom