Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another long night at the station. Worked before and after training. Put back together. Quiet now even in 3rd gear. Got a decent sized Allen wrench in there, took quite a bit to cut to length with bolt cutters so I think it will do the trick. First gear is very quiet.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1441946983.437828.jpg

It lives!!!! and I'm pretty sure we fixed it. Pulled the pick-up about two feet. I was trying to put some resistance thinking it would pull itself over the wood, or break the Allen wrench/or pto while trying. I was watching the front wheel and got pretty nervous when it wasn't budging. I then looked up and noticed the pick-up was being pulled towards me. It started turning the bricks into powder as well.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442025057.604744.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442025066.209783.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442025076.897893.jpg

Stealing gloves from the rescue? :)

Hey now, you weren't supposed to see that!

But actually stolen from the engine. We have two engines, a quint with a 50ft stick, tanker and a brush truck. Our one engine is stationed with the county rescue so we have faster response times. Our main station has an engine, the quint, tanker and brush truck.

It lives!!!! and I'm pretty sure we fixed it. Pulled the pick-up about two feet. I was trying to put some resistance thinking it would pull itself over the wood, or break the Allen wrench/or pto while trying. I was watching the front wheel and got pretty nervous when it wasn't budging. I then looked up and noticed the pick-up was being pulled towards me. It started turning the bricks into powder as well. View attachment 1132819View attachment 1132820View attachment 1132821
Congrats!

Random request here for anyone who reads this, but maybe you can help out. I'm posting in the classifieds as well as craigslist to see if anyone would be willing to lend a hand.

I'm trying to teach newer firefighters entry techniques and although we have a forcible entry door, there is only so much we can do with it. The department I volunteer for has limited funds and I would like to help and show some of the newer guys easy ways to bust padlocks/chains using irons as well as the k12. If anyone has old chains or padlocks (they don't need to have a key, but preferably unlocked) that they could possibly donate to our department that would be greatly appreciated. If so please contact me.

It would be helping out the Nokomis Volunteer Fire Department greatly.

For anyone who knows about the fire service we are one of the last full-time volunteer fire departments in the State of Florida. We just missed a class 2 ISO rating last year and maintain an iso rating of 3. We are fully staffed (24-7) department that runs 2 engines, a 50ft quint, tanker and brush truck. We run nearly 1,800 calls a year and funding is very tight for the amount of calls we run and our staffing.

Cheers.

Last edited:
For anyone who knows about the fire service we are one of the last full-time volunteer fire departments in the State of Florida. We just missed a class 2 ISO rating last year and maintain an iso rating of 3. We are fully staffed (24-7) department that runs 2 engines, a 50ft quint, tanker and brush truck. We run nearly 1,800 calls a year and funding is very tight for the amount of calls we run and our staffing.

Cheers.

I'll see what I can come up with for you ...

That is an impressive ISO rating! I am moving to a location that is a 7 ... guess I need to learn some fire fighting techniques ....

Thanks. Reason we have such a good rating is our response time and units on scene as well as training. The water supply of the area is also included in the rating and we have great hydrants. We had a bunch of newer guys doing their pump test last week and we were flowing 1700gpm from our engine. Hydrant was pushing close to 75psi.

The department in your area most likely isn't staffed 24/7 which means slower response times. The department could be top notch in their knowledge and training.

Cruiser did some work the other day. Winch pulled like a mule, was lifting front end up over blocks. Allen key holding strong as shear pin. Ended up putting it in 4lo and had to pull quite a few times before it came out.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447615078.205711.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447615092.275486.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1447615106.512552.jpg

Nice looking 70, good to see the winch doing the business.

A couple of Toyota PTO winch tips:

Cut some rope off & run less on the drum then you'll be much less likely to have a snarl up especially if winching off to one side. Keep some extension straps or extra cable in the truck for the longer pulls.

Your fairlead might be narrower than mine was by the look, but If you're going to be using the winch in anger a lot on the trail, check that the side rollers are well inside the edges of the winch drum, if not it is worth cutting off those vertical fairlead roller mounts & moving them inboard ~20mm each side. Things get messy if the cable falls off the edge of the drum. DAMHIK.

Cheers
Clint

Hello all,

Long time since I've posted on here and I come asking for some info. I've searched high and low and can't find any information of the size of speakers for replacement up front. I know Crushers at some time posted the size, but I can't find that post anywhere. I've looked online as well without any luck. So does anyone know what size speakers I can buy from my bj73 to replace the blown ones upfront?

cheers,
Nigel

Hello all,

Long time since I've posted on here and I come asking for some info. I've searched high and low and can't find any information of the size of speakers for replacement up front. I know Crushers at some time posted the size, but I can't find that post anywhere. I've looked online as well without any luck. So does anyone know what size speakers I can buy from my bj73 to replace the blown ones upfront?

cheers,
Nigel

These will fit in place of the factory speakers in the lower dashboard. You may need to remove one of the mounting ears to get them to fit.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom