Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build...

I'll will add that to my rear cargo compartment then, good to know. I may have to youtube some videos for how to...ha.

IMG_7800.JPG

and the Cruiser lives once again. Ended up going to West Marine since none of the local auto stores had what I needed or wanted. Friend helped me put it back together. Cost was roughly $20, if anyone ever needs to rebuild: clamp, lugs and wires. Local marine store was what ended up saving me.

FullSizeRender.jpg

LDowney

So the I'm pretty sure the glow plugs on my truck are shot. I've been reading Which plugs should I be running - B, 2B, 3B, H and 2H diesels on replacement, but I can't seem to find anywhere to source new glow plugs...anyone have a suggestions where I can purchase new ones?

Thanks.
I encountered confusion last winter when replacing the glow plugs in my BJ70. When I checked the specs on the after market plugs, they were not clearly for 24v or 12v applications even when searching with part numbers identified for 24v systems (the sellers frequently were identifying them for 12v systems or good for 12v or 24v).

Since I wanted the right glow plugs and quickly, I ordered them from my local Toyota dealership. They were on hand in ~2 days. It appeared that the price with the local dealer was $3-4 higher per plug, but the speed and convenience was enough benefit to me for the extra cost.

Good luck

Much appreciated to both of you for reaching out.

Rob told me to pull one out and bring it to NAPA, they should be able to help. Onur also told me he can source them for me, community here as usual is beyond helpful.

Part number included in post for proper glow plugs....Cruiser lives again thanks to Onur, Rob and Alberto. Onur (Welcome to LCPC) was able to source the glow plugs for me for almost $100 cheaper than my local Toyota dealership and arrived within three days. Part # 19850-68060 for 24v 3b bj73 with super glow system. These are 14v glow plugs and the ones you will need if you plan on replacing them for a 24v 1988 bj73. The cruiser is starting up much better than it ever has and I can tell there is less strain on the batteries turning it over in the mornings.

Word to the wise, my dumbass torqued a little to hard (which wasn't very hard at all) and broke the top off the first plug, be very careful when replacing, they do not need much to tighten up. I learned the hard way and Onur was quick to send me a new one while I was on shift to help me out.

10m and 12mm sockets needed to change plugs.

Some information I learned from Rob (oddironoffroad.com) and Alberto is checking the plugs and the glow controller. My controller isn't putting out the initial power it's supposed to, but I was able to narrow down that my glow plug controller is still working and the issue was my plugs. If anyone has questions about that feel free to shoot me a message, it was a learning experience for me. If the glow indicator is not lighting up and you aren't hearing the relays click, odds are it's your plugs, but it is worth checking the controller as well.

Also, a CPT. at the fire department I work at (Sarasota County) told me of a car show our benevolent fund is hosting. He asked me to bring my cruiser and I told him I'd post on here if any of you all would like to come by and show off your rigs. Flyer is attached.

IMG_8946.jpg
IMG_8965.jpg
IMG_8966.JPG
IMG_8970.JPG

Top Bottom