Builds 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Short Bed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crap, I just realized the linked Aisin MC is for Pickups manufactured after 8/83. Mine was manufactured 10/82. I don't know if this will work. I probably need to cancel this order too.

Yup. That is when the body style changed.

Yup. That is when the body style changed.

Thanks. I was able to find an Aisin brake master cylinder on EBay for pre-8/83 trucks with 4WD. Hopefully this is the correct MC.

For the record, I try to support our forum vendors. I called multiple places and was not able to get much help.

I think I'm going to purchase a small pop-up or teardrop camper. Something light and easy to tow. 1,500 lbs or so. Which means I need to tow it.

The truck currently has an e-trailer bolt on bumper. It has a spot to add a tow ball, but I'm not sure I trust it for towing.

https://www.etrailer.com/Bumper/Toyo...eID=1983743474

What are my rear bumper options if I need a receiver hitch? Marlin Crawler has a nice unit, but it appears you have to notch the rear valence. Is anyone familiar with other options? I have read any rear bumper for pickups up until 1995 will work. I'd prefer not to cut any bodywork.

marlin_rear_bumper_2_c6f92b360fde3a868ac06503e052a54d674239e9.jpg

marlin_rear_bumper_ff79fde3872011c0558d68bf3606d2e50fca2bcd.jpg

Today I finally got the bedliner applied. I have been trying to get this task done since I bought the truck. The initial Line-X installer was a nimrod, so I had to find someone else. Then the sandblast guy was out of the country. Then I had a wedding I needed to go to. Then the brake master cylinder failed. Everything finally came together today.

I think it turned out pretty well. On to the pics...

618-C6-AFA-ECFE-4518-94-FA-5-CF4003-FE271.jpg

9-EB7-A809-3729-4775-8096-FA33-E3-A18-D2-D.jpg

E927-F210-BE3-B-4080-A52-C-2749-D4128209.jpg

Final result.

92-F19-C9-C-6-B63-46-DB-B8-DB-22-A38-AF79-C16.jpg

Overall a huge improvement over the old crap. Very pleased. Going to let it cure for 24 hours before I put anything in it.

Last edited:
Looking at the bumper you have, it looks to be rated at twice what the trailer you want to tow is. To me, that is a safe enough margin of error. However, you could always add a dedicated hitch:

U-Haul: Trailer Hitches & Towing Accessories

Yeah, I would like a combo hitch/bumper. Preferably with a 2" hitch. I think the trailer ball directly on the bumper is cheesy.

The Trail Gear rear bumper looks like you don't have to notch the rear valence. Not sure if this truck has a body lift though.

Trail-Gear-Bumper.jpg

Why wouldn't you tow with the Trail Gear?

A buddy of mine was towing a trailer that weighs a bit less than what you are thinking with the standard TG bumper and it bent. You could definitely add more bracing to strengthen it (which is what we did), but I still don't think it is ideal.

If I were you, I would just build a bumper (or have a local fab shop build one for you).

A buddy of mine was towing a trailer that weighs a bit less than what you are thinking with the standard TG bumper and it bent. You could definitely add more bracing to strengthen it (which is what we did), but I still don't think it is ideal.

If I were you, I would just build a bumper (or have a local fab shop build one for you).

For now, I'm just going to keep the bumper that's on the truck.

I am also considering selling the truck. It's very nice, but I have too many toys right now. I need to finish my FJ40 and drive it. Plus, I want to do a 1HD-T diesel swap down the road. And a new camper. Just too many pokers in the fire.

Very sharp build and cleanup on this truck.

I see these trucks ranging from 8-12K (maybe higher) on BaT. Any idea what you might ask? I'm trying to determine how far to take mine, $$-wise. Thanks - Steve

Very sharp build and cleanup on this truck.

I see these trucks ranging from 8-12K (maybe higher) on BaT. Any idea what you might ask? I'm trying to determine how far to take mine, $$-wise. Thanks - Steve

That's hard to say. A lot of it depends on the condition of the truck, year, and options. I would probably ask $25k+ for mine, but it's original paint.

Here are a couple in that price range and condition. Both have been repainted though.

1983 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Pickup

1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup

Last edited:
Wow... $20,000 for a truck with 182,000 miles, $19,000 for one with 158,000 miles. I'll bet ya don't see that with Jeep, Scout...

Wow... $20,000 for a truck with 182,000 miles, $19,000 for one with 158,000 miles. I'll bet ya don't see that with Jeep, Scout...

Agreed. But for Toyota pickups, totally depends on lots of variables.

1979 - 1983 are the most desirable years in my opinion. Because it's the original design with 4x4. These trucks have solid axle too. Obviously 5 speed and 22R engine is better . And what most people want is the short bed because of the approach angle (plus, I think they look dimensionally better). Then color and condition. Lastly, most people prefer buckets over bench seating.

Obviously all of this is subjective. But I looked a long time to come across this particular truck with these particular features.

PS/AC/short bed is the money truck. I have none of those features ;)

I'll bet ya don't see that with Jeep, Scout...

You'll choke when you see those Scout 800s (pre-Scout II) vehicles are selling for. I think they are painfully ugly.

I've seen the prices of the Grand Wagoners and Scouts going up - GWs in the mid-20s, Scouts (even the Its) approaching $50k. But, the ones I've seen have low/lower miles.

So you sayin I should add power steering and AC and think of it as saving money! I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom