Builds 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Short Bed (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back in the day I had a 1980 RN47 that I bought new. I had a polished stainless steel protector on the gate lip. Mine had a chrome grille and bumpers and polished 5 slot aluminum wheels. With your black accents I'm not sure which way to go.

I also went the other way by adding the 82-up headlights and grille.

View attachment 2130579

That truck is amazing!!!

I like the idea of demoting that one wheel to spare duty.
Few more thoughts on the wheel weights:
- Ask the tire guy he already reoriented that tire, e.g. remove, rotate and remount the tire - like 180 degrees and rebalance the wheel. If the tire and the wheel are each out of balance (all are to some degree) and oriented to "maximize" that out-of-balanceness (sure, that's a word)... you end up with a really out of balance wheel/tire... Ideally, they're working to cancel each other out.
- Ask the guys to put some of the weights on the back side of the wheel. They'll say "They're most effective on the outside" And, they're right. But, I'd rather have a lot on back and few on the front. ALL of the weights, on my steel wheels with 33s on my 100, are on the back - and it's worked for two sets of BFGs over 120,000 mlles
- Ask them about adhesive weights - if they'd remove some of the clip-ons and use some adhesive weights.

But yeah... that truck is lookin sexy!

That truck is amazing!!!
It's probably long gone by now. I also put an Arkay turbocharger on it. It was pretty quick for what it was. There is a good climb out of Salt Lake City on Interstate 80 called Parley's Canyon. The truck would pull that camper 60 miles an hour up the hill. I passed all the other campers with it.:grinpimp:

It's probably long gone by now. I also put an Arkay turbocharger on it. It was pretty quick for what it was. There is a good climb out of Salt Lake City on Interstate 80 called Parley's Canyon. The truck would pull that camper 60 miles an hour up the hill. I passed all the other campers with it.:grinpimp:
60 miles per, up Parley's.. What's that like? 😅

Last edited:

I'm familiar with Parley's Canyon. We have a house in Big Cottonwood. But we typically take Guardsman's Pass in the summer. I wonder if the Truck would make it? I'd probably have to re-jet the carb (after driving it from Texas!).

My goal for the 1977 FJ40 is 1HD-T swap and drive it to SLC. Turbo diesel would be perfect for the mountains!

I like the idea of demoting that one wheel to spare duty.
Few more thoughts on the wheel weights:
- Ask the tire guy he already reoriented that tire, e.g. remove, rotate and remount the tire - like 180 degrees and rebalance the wheel. If the tire and the wheel are each out of balance (all are to some degree) and oriented to "maximize" that out-of-balanceness (sure, that's a word)... you end up with a really out of balance wheel/tire... Ideally, they're working to cancel each other out.
- Ask the guys to put some of the weights on the back side of the wheel. They'll say "They're most effective on the outside" And, they're right. But, I'd rather have a lot on back and few on the front. ALL of the weights, on my steel wheels with 33s on my 100, are on the back - and it's worked for two sets of BFGs over 120,000 mlles
- Ask them about adhesive weights - if they'd remove some of the clip-ons and use some adhesive weights.

But yeah... that truck is lookin sexy!

Thanks!

I want to see what Summit says first.

Here are a few photos of the seam in the bed that I was talking about. It is where the wheel-well meets the bed of the truck.

DC838-CAC-2-D68-4-DD9-9-DDC-78-CD330-F1341.jpg

AD34758-A-20-FE-41-FB-9-F1-C-03505-D28-F2-AD.jpg

857125-A8-3-B75-4-A9-B-A40-F-9-C4-C9-C2-D09-B8.jpg

That looks like a quick blast and prime should kill it. On the topic of liner, I’d just stick with the black as it matches all the other accent pieces. I’d also not wrap the bed rails. You don’t want to see that stuff. If you want to protect the bed rails, some 1 1/2” aluminum angle could be cut to fit and attached with double sided foam tape. You could coat the angle with black as well if you didn’t want to see the silver.

Last edited:
That thing is beautiful. The graphics look fantastic.

That thing is beautiful. The graphics look fantastic.

Thanks a lot! I’m really pleased with how the graphics turned out. I chose not to install the tailgate graphics because they didn’t quite overlap the OEM painted “Toyota”. And I was afraid they by removing the old “4 Wheel Drive” graphic, I might screw up the original paint.

The top of the bedrail and outside hooks of mine are bed lined. It’s good quality and I really like the look, only issue is closing the tailgate is more of “press fit”. However the bumpers are also lined to match, not sure how it would look with the tan. This isnt the best picture but you get the idea.
F1128780-B4CC-4B53-9485-5815E3871600.jpeg

The truck does about 45 up parelys empty, whatever that’s worth :flipoff2::steer:

Looking awesome! Did you apply the graphics yourself? They look perfect!

Looking awesome! Did you apply the graphics yourself? They look perfect!

Thanks! No, a buddy of mine who is a graphics and wrap guy helped me. I helped him on the layout, but he actually did the application.

The top of the bedrail and outside hooks of mine are bed lined. It’s good quality and I really like the look, only issue is closing the tailgate is more of “press fit”. However the bumpers are also lined to match, not sure how it would look with the tan. This isnt the best picture but you get the idea. View attachment 2144756
The truck does about 45 up parelys empty, whatever that’s worth :flipoff2::steer:
Waving people to go around heading up Parley's is one of my favorite pastimes. :cool:

Unfortunately the brake master cylinder started leaking over the weekend. Any suggestions on where to source a replacement MC?

Also, should I go ahead and peak at the front pads while I'm doing brake work? Parking brake doesn't work either, but probably just needs to be adjusted.

Rockauto.com also sells AISIN stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom