Builds 1983 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Short Bed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your truck looks really nice, I love that body style, I've had three 83's over the years and wish I had kept the last one, but none were as nice as yours! I like the tire wheel combo. FWIW I'm running the smoothie wheels from Summit Racing (and Yokahoma Geolander MT's) and they took alot of weight to balance as well, but all four took about the same amount of weights to balance out.

Your truck looks really nice, I love that body style, I've had three 83's over the years and wish I had kept the last one, but none were as nice as yours! I like the tire wheel combo. FWIW I'm running the smoothie wheels from Summit Racing (and Yokahoma Geolander MT's) and they took alot of weight to balance as well, but all four took about the same amount of weights to balance out.

Thanks a lot! I used the Smoothie wheels on my 80 series and really liked them. That’s why I went with Wheel Vintiques again.

Thanks a lot! I used the Smoothie wheels on my 80 series and really liked them. That’s why I went with Wheel Vintiques again.
Yeah I really like the looks of them, I bought them for my 71' FJ40 project, but have been running them on my 91' pickup for the last couple months until I can get some new tires for it, lol.

Did you do a headlight/grill conversion on yours? All my 83's had the square headlights.

Yeah I really like the looks of them, I bought them for my 71' FJ40 project, but have been running them on my 91' pickup for the last couple months until I can get some new tires for it, lol.

Did you do a headlight/grill conversion on yours? All my 83's had the square headlights.

Yessir, I converted it to round headlights because I think it looks better. Fairly inexpensive for the buckets, doors, grill, and Hella lights off EBay. I still need the OEM grill badge though!

I have that grill badge somewhere. I dug through all of the likely places, though, with no luck. If I come across it and you are still looking I’ll let you know.

I have that grill badge somewhere. I dug through all of the likely places, though, with no luck. If I come across it and you are still looking I’ll let you know.

Thx!

Yessir, I converted it to round headlights because I think it looks better. Fairly inexpensive for the buckets, doors, grill, and Hella lights off EBay. I still need the OEM grill badge though!
Looks really good, I like the older style grill and round headlights. What color graphics are you going to do, that should really make it pop!

Looks really good, I like the older style grill and round headlights. What color graphics are you going to do, that should really make it pop!

Thanks! I’m doing gold metallic, copper metallic, and brown metallic. It should look similar to this...

A66-E8-E3-B-80-F1-4-FBC-88-A3-F2-D18410-F387.jpg

Yeah, it’s going to look sweet. I still say you need another inch or so above the tires (like the one in your inspiration pic).

Nice job with the truck. Love the round headlight conversion you did and I think you'll be really happy with James' decals.

Opinion time - The truck has a terrible roll-on bedliner that needs to be repaired/replaced. I think a good sandblast and primer will fix it.

The question is - What color should I replace the bedliner? Black again? Or should I try to color match it?

Also, should I go over the bedrails? The old bedliner does not go over the bedrails except at the tailgate.
86-EAE6-CB-E373-4-C5-A-BC24-66-CE2-C250259.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go over the bedrails. It's nice to have protection when you're hauling stuff like wood or metal. I'd maybe try to color match it or go with a darker/ligher shade if possible.

My preference would be to color match and not go over the rails. I would also fab inner side panels to protect the bedside skins.

I'd go over the bedrails. It's nice to have protection when you're hauling stuff like wood or metal. I'd maybe try to color match it or go with a darker/ligher shade if possible.

I'm thinking over the bedrails too. I was actually considering keeping it black. It would tie everything together with the wheels, bumpers, badges, and grille. My only concern is if I get a Softopper it won't match.

Pics for reference:

Black over the bedrail
DB14-FD1-B-011-C-4-BC8-AD0-D-4859-E34-E7-AB4.jpg

No bedrail w/ Softopper
19754-C33-C2-B5-4815-AFC8-8-E77-AB3-DF0-DD.jpg

My preference would be to color match and not go over the rails. I would also fab inner side panels to protect the bedside skins.

What would you do about the old bedliner that goes over the tailgate lip? Try to just remove it without pulling off the paint? Or go over the rail, but just on the tailgate?

86-EAE6-CB-E373-4-C5-A-BC24-66-CE2-C250259.jpg

Back in the day I had a 1980 RN47 that I bought new. I had a polished stainless steel protector on the gate lip. Mine had a chrome grille and bumpers and polished 5 slot aluminum wheels. With your black accents I'm not sure which way to go.

I also went the other way by adding the 82-up headlights and grille.

my%20RN47[1].jpg

Not quite 22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom