1981 2B Diesel Won't Shut Off When the Key is Turned Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my FJ40 for a few years now and the previous owner had this thick wire running from the Engine to underneath the dash with a little handle at the end of it. Turns out that you need to pull it to turn the engine off even the key turned off and removed from the ignition switch. hehe.

I suppose older Diesel engines (Toyota 2B) weren't designed to shut off electrically ? i.e. therefore they were shut off via a vacuum pump of some sort???

Please help me. I was wondering if any of you folks had some photos of the original parts related to shutting off a Toyota 2B engine?

Thanks in advance!!

A mate of mine here in PNG had an early '80's model that shut off the same way--it had a knob that pulled out of the dash to shut the engine off. There was no other way to shut it off. It all looked like it came that way from the factory.

A mate of mine here in PNG had an early '80's model that shut off the same way--it had a knob that pulled out of the dash to shut the engine off. There was no other way to shut it off. It all looked like it came that way from the factory.
Thanks Jungle Biker, would you have a photo by any chance?

No, sorry--it never occurred to me to take a photo back in the day. I do remember that it had a 3B engine, and that the shut-off knob was chrome or nickel plated and that the shaft that the knob was mounted on was hexagonal. Also if I'm not mistaken the hole in the dash had a chromed or nickel plated boss with a hexagonal hole in it to suit the shaft. I suspect that the original knob was probably black plastic, but the one in this truck didn't look like the correct one to me.

It is not vacuum that shuts off your engine. The cable attaches to the injection pump and, in simple terms, switches it off. Around 1980, Toyota came out with the EDIC system to essentially do the same thing through a series of relays when you turn the key off. A lot of people have had problems with the system, so they have reverted back to the cable. More info can be found in the diesel section here on Mud.

:cheers:

Fuel cut, unless it's in front of an auto transmission, or is a 12H-T or a 13B-T, and then it's an intake shutter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom