dmaddox's 1981 BJ42 restoration and information thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: oil pressure gauges for 24V are obsolete!
Hopefully you can source something that works.

P.S. There are some brand new NOS 1980+ speedo / odometers that are primary MPH and secondary KM if you're interested.

As I await parts, I started to tinker with some body work today.

This BJ42 does have the "usual cruiser rust" but luckily the rear channel is in good shape.

sat1.jpg

Ok, SO PLEASE don't laugh. I wanted to replace this floor planel completely, but in the meantime, I just plugged all the holes with sheet medal and weld and hit it with primer. The bad news - ugly as sin. The good news...solid rock.

I guess this isn't too bad considering what it looked like before:

mack018.jpg

mack019.jpg

after:

sat9.jpg

sat10.jpg

Firewall hackjob before:

428.jpg

after:

sat8.jpg

Radiator pulldown after some armorall, it works great!

sat7.jpg

Fitting fenders for fun:

sat5.jpg

sat6.jpg

sat3.jpg

sat4.jpg

sat2.jpg

Just keeping you guys in the loop.

Yet to do:

Cooling system. (Need right pointing thermostat cover and upper/lower radiator hoses.)
Electrical system. (Need 20.5V glow plugs, and a lot of time.)
Finish body work.

This is of course just to get it roadworthy. I'm obviously not doing an ace resto job on this one, just learning as I go.

cheers,

Excellent work Dallas! I think you made the right decision to get it all assembled with all the bits and pieces you needed to find, and then move on to serious body work! You're going to fly once you get to that point! Looks so much better, thank you for removing the front roll bar hoop etc. while you were in there! I could feel that Cruiser's pain! :p

Thanks a million for the comments.

I do have some potential bad news. As lostmarbles posted a few months ago about the connections and MATCHING the EDIC motor with the EDIC relay:

I don't have ANY plugs on my harness albeit one or two. EDIC motor, Alternator, Voltage Regulator, etc... are all MISSING.

I bought the 24V parts off of a late 1980 (early 1981 model) BJ42 but the EDIC motor indeed has TWO plugs coming off of it.

Now that I don't have any wires on my loom that even match the plugs - I am worried I am in trouble with the EDIC motor and Relay working with each other. The 12V 3B I bought from Profff (also a 1981), the EDIC motor on it only had 1 plug.

I am starting to battle through the wiring and it indeed is a mess. Not that I have TOO MANY wires, its just that I have hardly ANY wires and of the wires that are present, very few of them look OEM.

/deep breath

Maybe ck in Canada for a whole take out harness?? If you need pics of anything email em to me and I'll try to get em for ya.

Radd,

Posted some quick questions for you...(thanks a ton for posting the picture). I wish I could find a radio.

-dallas

I was re-reading this thread and tripped on your question; is this a plug?

Nope. It's the hole for the pull-to-kill-the-engine knob if you don't have an EDIC shut off.

Rudi
DSC06187.JPG
engine off knob toyodiy.JPG

Maybe in Costa Rica but all Canadian spec units had the EDIC so it should be a plug :)

Cool detail though - I'd like to have one anyway even with the EDIC as an emergency shutdown

Thanks a million for the comments.

I do have some potential bad news. As lostmarbles posted a few months ago about the connections and MATCHING the EDIC motor with the EDIC relay:

I don't have ANY plugs on my harness albeit one or two. EDIC motor, Alternator, Voltage Regulator, etc... are all MISSING.

I bought the 24V parts off of a late 1980 (early 1981 model) BJ42 but the EDIC motor indeed has TWO plugs coming off of it.

Now that I don't have any wires on my loom that even match the plugs - I am worried I am in trouble with the EDIC motor and Relay working with each other. The 12V 3B I bought from Profff (also a 1981), the EDIC motor on it only had 1 plug.

I am starting to battle through the wiring and it indeed is a mess. Not that I have TOO MANY wires, its just that I have hardly ANY wires and of the wires that are present, very few of them look OEM.

/deep breath

I have a whole harness from a 42 sitting in a box up here, can take any pics you want.

Not sure on the year of the harness, but I think it's 81 or 82..not sure how you'd tell exact year?
I almost used it in my 42, plugs all seemed to mate up.

I'd probably sell it if you had any interest, it's just kindof my spare in case of total meltdown...:lol:

Or you could borrow it to copy/repair yours, although shipping would be a pain.

I forget why I didn't use it, maybe a broken wire near the fuse panel or something?There was something that wasn't quite right anyways.

Cheers,
Ryan (vancouver island)

I've got a 24 volt cluster that's in rough shape if you would like. The Ammeter is pouched, but the rest worked last time I checked. You could swap out what you need to make one out of two. I'm pretty sure the odometer and speedometer are not 24 volt.

Bandit_Guy - have you had a chance to check this out? Thanks man!

Hey Dallas I'm pretty much as far from home as I can get right now, Eureka, Nunavut google it it's worth it, but I'll see what I can come up with it. PM me your address I'll get my roommate to send it to you.

so reading your post about the edic, I was rooting through my box of stuff, and the 24v edic motor I have is from a bj70 (24v) has only one plug.

my harness in my truck and the one in the box both have two...so the one you have should be right

I also have two fuel control relays, they look pretty much the same ( tho perhaps I should've checked the mounting bolts closer) they share the same plug, but have different part #'s.

not sure which is which?

again, one 70, one 42.

I'd like to keep the volt reg and glow relay unless you're totally hooped without em, but I finally got the pics to work, maybe they'll help, and maybe some other cruiser nerd out there will be able to tell us the year of the harness, looks damn similar to my 81 tho.

Harness pictures by seapotato1 - Photobucket

cheers,
r

Ok, I went out this morning and checked through what I have.

My interior wires are good, and I have most (if not all) modules. The only matching number I have to yours is the Glow Plug Relay - we match there. Otherwise, everything else is different.

The number on my harness is also : "82215-90803B" So it looks like the harness is off too.

My main concern is the engine bay area as I am missing the plugs to the Voltage Regulator, the two plus on the EDIC motor, the plug to the alternator, etc...

I am guessing that your wiring harness is off a later 81, as mine is a 11/80 build date. Not sure if this will work or not....hmmm.

I think I may be stuck running/chasing wires with just female push-connectors into the VR/alternator, etc....

Thanks seapotato for helping me with this. Even though we may not have a match here, I appreciate your help.

Ok, I went out this morning and checked through what I have.

My interior wires are good, and I have most (if not all) modules. The only matching number I have to yours is the Glow Plug Relay - we match there. Otherwise, everything else is different.

The number on my harness is also : "82215-90803B" So it looks like the harness is off too.

My main concern is the engine bay area as I am missing the plugs to the Voltage Regulator, the two plus on the EDIC motor, the plug to the alternator, etc...

I am guessing that your wiring harness is off a later 81, as mine is a 11/80 build date. Not sure if this will work or not....hmmm.

I think I may be stuck running/chasing wires with just female push-connectors into the VR/alternator, etc....

Thanks seapotato for helping me with this. Even though we may not have a match here, I appreciate your help.

yeah could be, those part#'s on harnesses were from smaller pieces that went inside, seatbelt and rear heater I think? Couldn't find a number on the main harness...
Most of those relays in my pics are just around from far too many years of messing with these uncivilized old lumps...could be from anywhere.

and no prob, glad I could almost but not really help:p

just shoot me a pm if you want any more details off that harness' layout or plugs or something.

or you could just shut the engine off with a cable, saves a world of headaches... :hillbilly:

cheers,
r

The number on my harness is also : "82215-90803B" So it looks like the harness is off too.....

Interesting what searches of the EPC can come up with:
OmanSaudiArabia.jpg

I can't search with the B suffix so I don't if the search is a match or not anyway. :meh:
OmanSaudiArabia.jpg

Hmmmm :hmm:,
I read: WIRE. PARKING BRAKE SWITCH

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom