1979 40 series part compatibility?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I'm currently working on a 1979 ute body Land Cruiser project and am looking to replace the tub with a pre-1979 model, due to the changes made in the floor design in later models. I've come across a tub for sale, which is believed to be from a model between 1973 and 1976.

I'm trying to find out if the body panels from my 1979 Land Cruiser compatible with this older tub? I'm trying to figure out if they can be fitted without major modifications??

Additionally, I have a question about identifying the year of the tub. It's a bit of a mystery piece with no other matching body parts except the front windscreen. Is there any way to accurately determine the year of the tub based on this or any other distinguishing features? Or are all tubs made between 1973 and 1976 the same??
Any insights, advice, will be much appreciated Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

The striker mounting on the B pillar and the rear sill both changed on US models in January of 1975

In Australia the B pillar changed for the door striker 7/74. Six months ahead of the rest of the world.

I show the cab body mounts changing 1/79. During the previous years but the new was a sub for the previous style. US did not get any 40 series but the FJ40 after 1967. Hard know the changes in the FJ45. Would assume overall cab dimensions would be very close. Brackets on the frame are different. So mounts and mounting points are the tub would also be different. Relocated the fuel tank is the biggest concern. Also the range your looking at fuel tank is probably 23 liters smaller. In US gallons it's 6 gallons. Not sure the torque tube behind the transfer case would be an issue or not. My 65 FJ45 the torque tube is further back. 1/79 Toyota standardized the front section of the frames and moved the torque tube forward. For some reason Toyota did not want to run a long hand brake cable to the back axle on the FJ45 and HJ47. The location of the torque tube the H55F and transfer case with a hand brake doesn't work. Like anything else it can be done just not by Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom