1970 40 series Fuel gage gauge / sender compatibility question. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. My fuel gage appears bad and I need to find a new one. I bought a new tank and sender combo kit a couple years ago from CCOT. Problem is the specs for the sender on their site show compatible with 9/72-12/78 even though the tank I bought shows it is for 8/69-9/72. I inquired with CCOT, but they didn't answer me.

Here's the tank/sending unit package I bought Gas Tank - Snorkel - FJ40 & FJ45 - 8/69 9/72 FJ40 FREE S/U - CCOT Replica - https://www.coolcruisers.com/gastasnfj1af.html 77100-60012A

There are a couple Toyota part numbers for "gage". The one I THINK it might be is 83310-60010. I just want to make sure I order the proper gauge for my sender.

Thanks for all!

I bought some stuff from them many years ago, wheel cylinders - "just put it on upside down it will fine" any way lessoned learned.

I put a 12.5 gallon Datsun B-210 gas tank behind the axle in my 72 FJ40. I bought an assortment of 2% resistors .25, .5, .75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 ohm. I found a combo of those resistors that lets my stock gauge read from E to 1/2 (which is actually full) on the rear tank. My stock 18.5 front gas tank has always read F for a really long time, 1/2 to about 1/4 is about right and so is E. If your gauge and sender actually work, you can "adjust" them to work together easy enough.

Your odometer is a much more accurate fuel gauge if you pay attention to specific conditions.

I bought some stuff from them many years ago, wheel cylinders - "just put it on upside down it will fine" any way lessoned learned.

I put a 12.5 gallon Datsun B-210 gas tank behind the axle in my 72 FJ40. I bought an assortment of 2% resistors .25, .5, .75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 ohm. I found a combo of those resistors that lets my stock gauge read from E to 1/2 (which is actually full) on the rear tank. My stock 18.5 front gas tank has always read F for a really long time, 1/2 to about 1/4 is about right and so is E. If your gauge and sender actually work, you can "adjust" them to work together easy enough.

Your odometer is a much more accurate fuel gauge if you pay attention to specific conditions.
Unfortunately, my odometer isn't working right now either 😂😂😂

If you ground the wire at the sender, does it deflect the needle?

What voltage do you read at the 3rd pin on the gauge? Should be about 7V.
You'll need to be bendy to reach up behind the panel without removing it but it is possible.
There an internal mechanical voltage regulator which can be serviced, or bypassed. Usually the problem.

there is a change in the sender, the sender in the picture is the slide resister style for the 73 MY on, the early senders were point regulators, you need to match the gauge to the sender. If you search, I posted about the differences of the two senders.

there is a change in the sender, the sender in the picture is the slide resister style for the 73 MY on, the early senders were point regulators, you need to match the gauge to the sender. If you search, I posted about the differences of the two senders.
This is cool, thanks. I called CCOT and they are sending me a replacement, but I honestly think it's going to be the same problem as they are sending the same one. I explained my issue to them, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I got the ol' "should work"....... however, they wouldn't tell me what the range is or what it should be for my gauge.

You had posted the OHM output for a 73+ sender. (The 73+ sender, 83320-60050 is a variable resistor that changes value with level, 120 ohm E, 17 ohm F.)
Do you happen to know the what the output is supposed to be for a 1970?

The early sender puts out a pulsed current as the points open and close, you cannot test it for resistance like the later senders. It would be tested similar to the oil pressure sender.

The early sender puts out a pulsed current as the points open and close, you cannot test it for resistance like the later senders. It would be tested similar to the oil pressure sender.
Interesting.... That's good to know. So, sounds like you are saying, I should just probably order an early sender to go with my gauge?

The one TPD shows is (Toyota 83320-35020 Gage Assy, Fuel Sender).
but I don't see any technical specs for it anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom