Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Per some reading in the Garage Journal forum, overlapping panels is not recommended, and butt welding IS recommended. In the experience of people there, over time, the overlap welded joints started to show through the filler, due to expansion/contraction issues in the overlapped areas.

Great job on removing the nasty undercoating!

I found these:
And I have a vague feeling that I saw some new rear quarters along the west coast on CL the other day.

I had a GREAT day in the shop today. NFL on the TV and a cutoff wheel in my hand :)

Good news... I am going to be able to save my quarter panels!!! That saves me $350 😀

Now that I have one of them off, I am convinced that the PO either...

1. Did not know what in the world he was doing.
2. Was in a huge hurry to throw this tub together.
3. Was slacker and didn't care enough to do the job right.

It could be a combination or all three of these... whatever the situation, it is fixable. It's going to take ton if time that i was not planing for, but I will be able to sleep at night knowing it was done right!

First, I cut along the "overlap" weld.

Second, I drilled out all the original spot welds on the inside. These were still attached to the small strips of the original quarter panel that the PO failed to remove.

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

It took about three hours, but I took my time and slowly worked my way from the front of the panel to the back. It came off pretty straight and without much bending because other than the overlap weld, the PO just tacked the other spots in place. There was tons of rust underneath. The PO clearly didn't take the time to clean anything up before he started welding the the new quarter panel on.

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

031.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a couple of pics of the strip of the old quarter panel that is still attached to the new panel. I plan to use a "air chisel" and take my time removing it. Once I get if off, I will hammer out the edge and make sure everything is straight. I will clean up all the rust on the panel and the tub. Cover it with a coat of epoxy primer. I will use some weld through primer on the edges and the part I will weld to the wheel tub. I should be able to "butt weld" the panel back on and can move on to the other side :)

032.jpg

033.jpg

Last edited:
Did some hammer and dolly work to straighten out the metal and started cleaning up the rust.

Still got some work to do, but i'm moving forward (one day at a time).

035.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

Here is the back side of the quarter panel. I just started cleaning in up with some 80 grit.

040.jpg

Last edited:
I started to remove the old quarter panel strip with a air chisel. It is going to be harder than I thought o_O :(.

My plan is to cut the strip every inch or so and then chisel it off in pieces.

040 (cut).jpg

Last edited:
It worked... It took about an hour, but I got the old quarter panel pieces off.

First, I made a cut about every inch or so...

045.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

Then I used the air chisel to get under the lip and pop it off.

046.jpg

It came off pretty evenly. I used a flap wheel to clean it up after but forgot to take pic. I will take some pics tomorrow.

042.jpg

I love reading your thread! Great job. I’m in Atlanta and would love to see the finish product one day.
Thank you! I love reading yours and others. They inspire me to keep working. Logging my progress also helps me to keep pushing ahead on my own as well.

I try to give lots of pics and info that will be "entertaining" :)

Last edited:
This seam where the front of the tub, the back of the tub, and the wheel well come together had rust inside. It was swollen and expanding from the rust inside.

1. I drilled out the old spot weld.
2. Separated the three seams
3. Cleaned out as much of the rust as possible
4. Sprayed some KBS zinc phosphate rust blast inside and let it soak for about 1 hour

048.jpg

058.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom