1975 FJ40 Build in the FL Panhandle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my first FJ40 in Birmingham, AL a few weeks ago. This 1975 FJ40 has spent time in Texas, South Florida, Guatemala, Georgia, and Alabama before making its way back to Florida. It has rust in the usual places: front fenders, rear sill, and quarters. The frame looks pretty good from what I can see.

I plan on driving it for a while before I really decide how much I want to take on with a light restoration.

I'm excited to start on this adventure!

And some pictures:
56737605720__86EA2F6D-B22D-4F7C-A719-43A3909F98DC.JPG

Met a much younger cousin...

56745206037__6DB2AA50-8A80-415B-9CD0-D083F9E94ADD.JPG
b3Nu0xK+QNS4PKyhIxLxlA.jpg

Loading on the trailer. The weather was awful my window to drive it home. This, combined with the facts that I'm new to FJ40s, haven't driven a stick in 20 years, and I don't know the real state of this gal yet, made me decide to trailer it.
oKANvlk+T3+NZg2XvM+w2A.jpg

Ahhh, chains on the shackles? Shucks...I should have mentioned that to the driver.

I've got the FJ at my house now! The kiddos enjoyed their first ride around the neighborhood in the passenger seat. First big project to tackle I'm thinking will be a fold and tumble seat so I can put the kids in there properly and we can leave the neighborhood. It came with a pretty neat tool box that fits in the back, but I'm thinking it will have to go...

Pictures of the tool box:
QLz+8ynyQGOhlAp7YkOppg.jpg

GmFulq3jQZOjVtLom6clUA.jpg

JpnJ75tjSAGb1i6JmfiWWQ.jpg

And it promptly will not start. Engine will turn, but not catch. My father-in-law had some trouble getting her to go when I was keeping it at his house before it made it down here. I'm guessing fuel or spark...

Congrats and welcome......... good call on the trailer! :grinpimp:

Tried cranking it again -- no luck. Thought I could hear a hissing sound when it was trying to go, should I be checking for a manifold leak?

There we go! Now you're an official mud member!

As for not starting, did you check for fuel and spark? Did you notice any starting issues before hand or any issues while it was driving?

There we go! Now you're an official mud member!

As for not starting, did you check for fuel and spark? Did you notice any starting issues before hand or any issues while it was driving?

I need to check spark — hadn’t figured out the best way to do that yet. Any tips?

My father in law had to put a lamp on it the other day before he could get it running, not sure if it was the heat or time related

Welcome Phillip, I am just over in Niceville, I am no expert by any means but I have kept my 74 running for over 15 years and still daily drive it.

I’m actually in Niceville too! I’ve see you driving a few mornings on SR20 the opposite direction from me! We need to meet up sometime. There are a couple of others in this general area on Mud too...

I need to check spark — hadn’t figured out the best way to do that yet. Any tips?

My father in law had to put a lamp on it the other day before he could get it running, not sure if it was the heat or time related

I've had luck using a spark plug testers before. Really easy to use and can verify that you're getting spark.

https://www.amazon.com/Line-Spark-E...ocphy=9030236&hvtargid=pla-444058748558&psc=1

Much better than the old school way of pulling the plug and grounding it on the frame or something.

Checking for fuel is pretty easy just pull the fuel line going to the carb and turn the key and see if fuel is coming out of it. Make sure you have it going into a bucket so you don't get gas everywhere!

But the more I think about it I'm starting to think your issue might be carb related/choke related. Did you try spraying some starting fluid into the carb?

But the more I think about it I'm starting to think your issue might be carb related/choke related. Did you try spraying some starting fluid into the carb?

I haven’t tried that yet, either. But will! But It’s going to be a while, I’m out of town for work...

I haven’t tried that yet, either. But will! But It’s going to be a while, I’m out of town for work...

Yeah take the air cleaner off and spray a little bit into the opening of the carburetor. Then try to start it. Don't be too liberal with it or the carb can catch on fire.

Don't ask me how I know...

Yeah take the air cleaner off and spray a little bit into the opening of the carburetor. Then try to start it. Don't be too liberal with it or the carb can catch on fire.

Don't ask me how I know...

Hah!!! :doh:

Finally back in town and can start some diagnostics. The engine is “whirring” somewhat slow (~1.5 per second) compared to other vehicles I have owned, so I tested the battery. Came back with the code of “open cell -replace” or “sulfate - recondition”. I ran a desulfate on it last night but it still came back with the code this morning. I’m going to take it by AutoZone this evening for a professional test. It holds a charge OK, but maybe the load is bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom