1970 Front License plate position??? (Generic bumper actually) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My original bumper has the license plate mounted on the passenger side. See my avatar.

I just got a NOS bumper. The license plate bracket holes on the drivers' side. I looked up internet images and they show the license plate on the passenger side when present.

Toyota 52111-60030

Was I sold a right hand drive bumper?

Please do not suggest drilling holes in a brand NOS painted bumper. My original bumper did not have extra holes on the driver's side. I want it to look as originally made.

Thanks,
Scot

Last edited:
My 72 has the plate on the passenger side. I drilled holes for mounting a vice, a reloading press, lights and some other things over the last 40 years. IMHO the OEM bumper is weak, I had a nice piece of channel iron with a oak liner to replace it but it grew legs.

Gee with shipping and such I would just weld up the holes but it's burger king you can have it your way. Good luck, I hope it works out.

Sorry to be "crabby", I am frustrated. It is a restoration project. I have no interest in a modified truck. I am un-doing the damage and modifications done by others. Burger King indeed. There are many "improvements" to make on a bone stock 1970. The thing is a bone stock super clean 1970 is worth big money. Resto mods are not so much. I am also recreating it as it was when it was a big part of family recreation.

Welding up holes in a brand new bumper means hiring a welder and sourcing correct gloss pewter paint. That will cost money and lost of time and money. I doubt it will look correct when done. IF I wanted it to look bad I'd keep my original bumper .

Shipping costs?? I think the vendor owes me shipping costs for the return and replacement. IT is their fault for sending the wrong part. Their fault so they eat the costs.

My one thought is to make stainless faux rivet head bolts on a lathe to plug the holes.

I was sold a correct OEM bumper for a restoration. The vendor's picture show the correct bumper. I placed the order by phone to be sure I got the correct parts. Perhaps it is not really a NOS Toyota part? Deceptive vendor? The pewter paint looks like clear coat, which is wrong for 1970. The package documentation stickers show it was was once stock at a Toyota dealer in Texas.

Seriously, has anyone else run into this or have an explanation?

Last edited:
New bumper have multiple holes not used during most the time the FJ40 was imported to the US. The original location was for the licence plate was in the middle. When a factory PTO winch was installed moved to the holes on the right side. Then in the mid 1970 a special license plate bracket that bolted to the bottom of the bumper was offered for when the factory PTO winch and factory fog lights were install. Never seen that bracket in person.

Here you go. See attached.

Isn't this clear coat paint? The back side has places with incomplete color but is still super glossy. Auto manufactures did not start using clear coat until the 1980s. Wouldn't that mean this this is not a NOS real Toyota part?.

For the cost I am not super upset. I am frustrated that it was apparently misrepresented.

As for stock vs resto-mod it is a matter or personal preference. I collect other things. IF they are modified the price plummets. I see the resto-mod people believing that because they spent a certain amount to modify their truck they should get that money back when they sell it. I do not see that actually happening. When I see a high condition truck that is as originally made the price is shockingly high. I have no illusions that I can make it a daily driver. I do know it is extremely capable off road as is. To that end I have scheduled significant work by a restoration shop to make it drive as good as it can as originally made. My truck has no significant rust. IT was always kept indoors in California. It cost no more to restore it than to resto-mod it.

bumperpic.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you are being "crabby". But hardly anybody is going to appreciate your attempt at a museum/concours/Mercum level restoration. That pool of buyers is extremely small. Most peeps who are buying a Cruiser to drive want power steering, disc brakes all around, a lift, and cool tires. Are you only going to take it to car shows? I don't want to put you down for doing a restoration project, but I think you need to see a shrink for your OCD. If you have a steel Cruiser you will always being chasing rust - it "never sleeps". I think my restomod Aqualu Cruiser built by FJ40Jim would be "worth a lot of money" at "the right auction" as they say on Antiques Roadshow. But it's yours to do whatever you want with so enjoy your very own BK cruiser. I'm betting the next owner will be modifying it.
My restomod:
1978 Toyota Land Cruiser, frame off restoration 2013. Aqualu aluminum tub, cowl, windshield frame, front bib, fenders, running boards. Frame painted with POR 15, Man-a-fre 2 1/2 inch lift, family cage, four wheel disk brakes, totally rebuilt 1977 2F engine desmogged, power steering conversion using Toyota mini-truck parts and reservoir from Chevy Astro. Lock-rite locking differential in rear. Rebuilt hubs. Early style front doors and ambulance doors on rear. Powder coated black wheels. Garvin full roof rack with basket bottom. Painted in original Toyota Rustic Green and Cygnet White. Bed liner in matching color, full roof rack with ladder, bikini top, Troll hole style olive green canvas soft top, uncompleted half doors, new headliner, updated marine radio and speakers uses SD card, 3 point seatbelts front and new rear lap belts. Original reupholstered jump seats kept and bench seat from SOR currently installed. 3M Matte Olive Green wrap currently installed. Fog lights and military black-out lights. Troll hole style olive green canvas soft top and vinyl bikini top. New Bumper with Warn 8274 winch. Rebuild by Jim Chenoweth, i.e. FJ40Jim on ih8mud.com - TLC Performance
View attachment 3572989
Sweet 40!

Is the bumper upside down by chance on the Red Cruiser?

Last edited:
There were six holes between the frame rail. Two for the licence plate bracket. Two for the guide bracket when starting the engine by hand. Last two for the front front of thee PTO winch. There are two matching holes on either side of the frame for fog lights. Two holes out side the frame on the right side as a secondary location of the licence plate bracket when the PTO winch is installed.

Was it sold to you as NOS? I ask because this bumper is still available from Toyota. Chances are they have tweaked the ancillary holes once or twice since your 40 was new.

OK, I figured something out. I had it upside down. The top bolts have a square carriage bolt hole. It is worse than I thought. I have even more spurious holes. This is an apparent universal bumper with hole for every model year change and option. Swiss cheese. Definitely not as advertised by the vendor or as used on a 1970.

Bumper2.jpg

Why don't you just restore the bumper that you have? It doesn't look that bad from the photos. Yes I certainly appreciate how nice and easy it is to install a new part but I doubt there's an original 1970 +/- NOS bumper anywhere in the world.

The original bumper is compromised. Both ends have been folded in at various times. It has been repaired a couple of times. IT is actually in sad shape. I do not have the equipment necessary to make it straight. Even if I did it is weak due to damage.

It was sold as an "OEM FRONT BUMPER 1958-1984 FJ40/FJ45/47/BJ/HJ -Silver painted finish" The picture showed a bumper that looks like the original that is on my truck.

Last edited:
Then you're probably down to welding up those holes and repainting. Not sure what would happen if you ordered another bumper from your local dealer or another reputable Toyota parts supplier. Guessing it will be the same but not positive.

PartSouq has 9 available and the photo shows no additional holes but the license plate holes are on the driver's side. No guarantee that the photo is accurate but I have found them very responsive in the past. They might be able to send you photos of one before you purchase.

The photo from PartSouq shows the bumper upside down. That is what mine looks like too, from underneath. That was my initial confusion. Notice that the holes for the frame bolts are round? The square holes go on top.

Thanks everyone. This has been helpful.

Except for Ted. " but I think you need to see a shrink for your OCD." Calling a stranger crazy because you like a different style of vehicle is all about you and your issues. You owe a public apology. My opinion of what you did to your 40 is of no consequence to the conversation. Neither is your opinion of my goals. There is room for everyone at the table. Personal attacks are out of line.

Come on guys, let’s not digress to the 4Runner forum level, we own Landcruiser’s. Carry on.

I have noticed that all original high condition trucks fetch more.

That is not to say modified trucks can not be expensive. The FJ Company in Scotts Valley CA sell their extreme modifications for a quarter million. I don't get it but some apparently do. They may be a market for Silicone Valley millionaires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom