License plate lights flicker… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas, 1975 FJ40 for clarification. Thought the the license plate lights were not working, volt meter showed 10-12 volts but stil could not get a bulb to work. Ordered two new bulb sockets. After installing the first, still no illumination…… unlatched and moved swing the door open and BAM!!! Both new and old bulbs and sockets worked…. Now assuming it would be a grounding issue, this is where I’m running into dead ends. Being that the lights them selves ground out to the license plate racket, I have removed cleaned and refastened the bolts to the license plate bracket, replaced the doors hinges with stainless harderware and still running into flickering and inconsistent illumination. Any help would be appreciated in which way to go. Have great week!

I ran a small wire between bolts on one door hinge. One from the where the hinge bolts to the door and one connecting to the body bolt. Works fine. Curious what others do.
IMG_0277.jpeg

I believe there's supposed to be a ground wire going from the plate bracket bolt or door and goes to the pass side of the tub.

Last edited:
Anyone have a photo of how the factory did it on a 1974?

I ran a ground from inside the lamp housing itself, all the way out to the frame where the power feed for the license plate light goes, and the grounded to the frame where the rock protector bolts up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom