1970 Front License plate position??? (Generic bumper actually) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My original bumper has the license plate mounted on the passenger side. See my avatar.

I just got a NOS bumper. The license plate bracket holes on the drivers' side. I looked up internet images and they show the license plate on the passenger side when present.

Toyota 52111-60030

Was I sold a right hand drive bumper?

Please do not suggest drilling holes in a brand NOS painted bumper. My original bumper did not have extra holes on the driver's side. I want it to look as originally made.

Thanks,
Scot
I purchased a new, OEM bumper from Toyota last year. Shipped to a local dealer. License plate bracket holes on the Passenger Side. Some extra holes but not nearly as many as what you have.

You linked a bumper that spanned ‘58-‘84 IIRC, that’s your answer. It’s covering all the bases.

I paid about $200 for my bumper.

IMG_0972.jpeg

Edit: I guess it did have that many holes.
Never noticed, never cared 🤷🏽

I’ve noticed that since these trucks are 50 years old it is sometimes necessary to buy things that may be slightly different from new. Or buying things more than once to satisfy a desire for just right. In either case I hope you find a satisfactory bumper. That bumper with extra holes in it won’t affect the value of your 40 one bit.

My decision is to keep it. I will turn plugs on the lathe. The plugs will be silver brazed into the holes. I find that going that route is much cleaner then welding. The paint will be re done with the correct type and color.

As as I am in there I will refurbish the winch. The last guy mucked it up with spray paint over dirt and grease.

If I had known I was buying a project bumper it would have been easier to accept. The bumperettes are also the cheesy clear coat so I will respray them too.

This is my opinion. It’s a 1970 rig with several owners. Any upgrades by the previous owner, with the caveat they were completed correctly, improves the resale. However, you need the ‘STORY’….you need the history of why and what was intended. This is what we have found in the Porsche realm, the history is ‘worth more’ than the vehicle….and it is true for the Land Cruiser.
For example, my 68 was owned by the Lea County, NM, Sheriff in NM. From what we know he bought it in Santa Fe and brought it down to Hobbs NM. He was an avid hunter and had installed vertical gun racks, a home made 2” lift, changed the oil filter to a Dodge flat head filter, and added Saginaw power steering. When he died, one of his deputies bought it at the estate sale. He only had it for 2 years….and did nothing but drive it as a second car. My wife and I (mostly my wife) bought it from him in 1992 and used it as a second car for close to 10 years….when the engine puked, it was my axially tool shed for 18 years….then we painstakingly restored it to as close to original as possible….using as many of the original parts as possible, including the original owners upgrades, plus my own to make it more usable in a modern automotive sense, e.g. Ac and disk brakes…..
When we took her to Cruiserfest at the Land Cruiser Haeeitage museum in SLC, we won Best of Show’….you know why, we had the history, we had the story, and it was clean, clean, clean.

So if your original bumper had some dings, dents and signs of previous repairs….thats part of the story, part of it history, and it should be repaired an patched and repainted to as close as you can get to the original….thats your value, and worth a hell of a lot more than what you’ll ever get on Bring a trailer!!!!

Bee Good….Opinions are like a$*hole, everyone has one!!!

Just throwing it out there that Toyota will supersede part numbers at will. They’re not going to keep making x amount of different front bumpers when one will do, even if it has a few extra holes.
Pictures in ads aren’t always true to the item. Is the item correct according to the part number? Then you bought the right part. Reseller companies don’t always update their photo to the newer part, especially if for all intents and purposes, it’s the same thing.
If I were looking for a clean, OG 1970 fj40, seeing a factory bumper is enough, I’m not counting holes.

This is my opinion. It’s a 1970 rig with several owners. Any upgrades by the previous owner, with the caveat they were completed correctly, improves the resale. However, you need the ‘STORY’….you need the history of why and what was intended. This is what we have found in the Porsche realm, the history is ‘worth more’ than the vehicle….and it is true for the Land Cruiser.
For example, my 68 was owned by the Lea County, NM, Sheriff in NM. From what we know he bought it in Santa Fe and brought it down to Hobbs NM. He was an avid hunter and had installed vertical gun racks, a home made 2” lift, changed the oil filter to a Dodge flat head filter, and added Saginaw power steering. When he died, one of his deputies bought it at the estate sale. He only had it for 2 years….and did nothing but drive it as a second car. My wife and I (mostly my wife) bought it from him in 1992 and used it as a second car for close to 10 years….when the engine puked, it was my axially tool shed for 18 years….then we painstakingly restored it to as close to original as possible….using as many of the original parts as possible, including the original owners upgrades, plus my own to make it more usable in a modern automotive sense, e.g. Ac and disk brakes…..
When we took her to Cruiserfest at the Land Cruiser Haeeitage museum in SLC, we won Best of Show’….you know why, we had the history, we had the story, and it was clean, clean, clean.

So if your original bumper had some dings, dents and signs of previous repairs….thats part of the story, part of it history, and it should be repaired an patched and repainted to as close as you can get to the original….thats your value, and worth a hell of a lot more than what you’ll ever get on Bring a trailer!!!!

Bee Good….Opinions are like a$*hole, everyone has one!!!
Well said.

That is such a great story of your rig, knowing the pedigree is such a bonus. I sort of know the backstory of my rig and it’s not nearly as cool, but at least the po attempted some love (oil galley plug was done when I got it for instance) and the upgrades were mostly well intended (AC, Saginaw power steering, dual battery evidence, a musical horn controller (?), and a pair of unique conn-fer bumpers that would slice a bull in thirds).

In some cases, the story works in our favor.
While I joke that my rig will be what they bury me in, I still approach every repair and upgrade as if I don’t want to be that PO. I’m writing my own story.

It seem the OP is in this to flip it and wants the highest restoration he can achieve, good for him.

Someone offered me their newish Lexes whatever suv in trade for my rig the other day, somewhat seriously, I just smiled, waived, started my engine and drove away.

Last edited:
Well said.

That is such a great story of your rig, knowing the pedigree is such a bonus. I sort of know the backstory of my rig and it’s not nearly as cool, but at least the po attempted some love (oil galley plug was done when I got it for instance) and the upgrades were mostly well intended (AC, Saginaw power steering, dual battery evidence, a musical horn controller (?), and a pair of unique conn-fee bumpers that would slice a bull in thirds).

In some cases, the story works in our favor.
While I joke that my rig will be what they bury me in, I still approach every repair and upgrade as if I don’t want to be that PO. I’m writing my own story.

It seem the OP is in this to flip it and wants the highest restoration he can achieve, good for him.

Someone offered me their newish Lexes whatever suv in trade for my rig the other day, somewhat seriously, I just smiled, waived, started my engine and drove away.
That’s where the value is….keep it clean….keep it as original as possible….save the history, save the STORY…..’smart’ upgrades to keep it usable, roadworthy and safe….and if a PO added stuff or attempted an upgrade that’s questionable, make it right….and drive her into the sunset. There’s a difference between Land Cruiser owners and investment brokers, and most of us on mud are owners that want to share their story.

That’s where the value is….keep it clean….keep it as original as possible….save the history, save the STORY…..’smart’ upgrades to keep it usable, roadworthy and safe….and if a PO added stuff or attempted an upgrade that’s questionable, make it right….and drive her into the sunset. There’s a difference between Land Cruiser owners and investment brokers, and most of us on mud are owners that want to share their story.
Preach brother, PREACH!

I count sixteen holes in the bumper of my Jan 1972, second owner, truck I bought in Oct 1978. I didn't put any of them there and hadn't given them any thought until this thread.

View attachment 3575357

Those are all stock. Six square holes are obviously to mount the bumper. Holes just out the square holes on each side are for fog lights. The outer two on the right side is secondary for the licence plate bracket. In the center the two holes closest to the front are for the PTO winch. The back two on the right side are for the licence plate bracket. Left two are for the guide when hand starting the engine.

My '70 was bought by my father in 1971 from a friend of his for $1800. Shortly there after the head cracked. It was repaired. Repeat several times. In about 1980 a Chevy 296 was poorly installed. The work was badly done by a hack. For 30 years it was used for deer hunting, every year. Modifications were made, parts were deleted. Things were broken. Body parts were damaged. Repairs were done by shade tree hacks on a shoestring budget. The top was off for 40 years. When I inherited it it was in sad shape. In the last years of my father's life he hired another hack who took two years to do a cosmetic freshing up which included mostly rattle can spray paint and cheap body work. Prep work was minimal, gloss black spray paint wen right over grease and dirt. Knowing I would inherit the truck soon, The tub was done in single phase at my insistence behind my father back. I bought the paint and gave it to the guy. He intended to use non factory color in clear coat. He did terrible prep work leaving lots of nibs and dirt under the paint. The "work" took two years, he refused to answer phone calls, and it was clear he was trying to wait for my father to die and steal the vehicle. His work was terrible.

My father cherished the truck. Unfortunately he was not mechanically inclined. He was taken advantage of. I think he would be proud of what I have done to bring his rig back.

So, I inherited a non road worthy truck that had been worked on my a conga line of incompetent's and crooks. My ownership is a new chapter in it's history. I am fortunate that it is nearly rust free. My goal it to make it attractive looking and practical to drive. That includes repair of mechanical defects, damage and aesthetic problems. I want to preserve it so it will be around as long as possible. So far I have repaired the fiberglass top, top metal, headliner, all electrical and mechanical systems to work properly, including windshield wipers, heater, windshield washer, backup lights, all new rubber, etc. I have done all the paint work in single phase factory color. I am undoing the damage done over the years. As long as I am doing it I prefer that I make everything as close to factory appearance as practical. How far I will take it I am not sure yet. I am not interested in a 100 point concourse restoration. But a beat up ranch truck has no interest to me either.

Last edited:
Those are all stock. Six square holes are obviously to mount the bumper. Holes just out the square holes on each side are for fog lights. The outer two on the right side is secondary for the licence plate bracket. In the center the two holes closest to the front are for the PTO winch. The back two on the right side are for the licence plate bracket. Left two are for the guide when hand starting the engine.
Your brain is golden.

I’ve been addicted to Land Cruisers in all their series for quite awhile now. Had an FJ60 that was owner raped in a bad way as my 1st. Spent a lot of money trying to return it to its original form. Gave up on that one as I couldn’t stop the rust and got tired of constant work with little driving pleasure. Been involved in a 72 frame off nut and bolt concourse level restoration with @Jdc1 Great experience and a beautiful result. Took 7 years and is something we are very proud of. Also own a western 1969 fj40 that I learned quickly that I didn’t really like it in its original build. Initially tried to keep it all original but very quickly learned it drove like a tractor. Updated to a 2f and fj60 electronics. Kept the 3 on the tree and original paint and went to 370 gears. Now I enjoy it a lot more. Don’t think I hurt the resale, not sure I care

I don't even know where the front plate for my 40 is. The state can just give me a ticket.

Come to think of it, I don't know where the front plate for the 80 is either.

Easy button, just don't mount the plate. Also cuts the tax stamp install time in half every year. 😆

The previous linked thread has these posted. The way it was when I bought.
001.JPG

The way it looks after installing the original bumperettes and rear step.
IMG_2516.JPG

Can't really see it but besides the 2F and angle iron on the back the original owner welded a 1/4" strap of steel on the inside of the front bumper.
The carrot 025.jpg

This is my 68. On the ends of the front bumper there are bolts.
001029.jpg

Those attach a rod that runs back to the frame where the PTO winch mounts. It was so professional looking I originally thought it was factory. This was in 1974. Information was easy to find back then. Besides bumper the back had a massive custom made receiver hitch welded to the frame and rear crossmember. It also has a Tee in the rear brake line that ran to the center and rubber hose with a connector for trailer brakes. Brake system was completely stock. Single circuit with eight wheel cylinders. Fifty years later it was probably a vehicle I should have on. At least it was rust free. If I live long enough will probably paint it Capri Blue, it's original colour. 1975 I flip it on it's side. Found a 73 beige top. 1983 added doors from a 79. Mid nineties starting switching between a hard top and soft top.

I don't even know where the front plate for my 40 is. The state can just give me a ticket.

Come to think of it, I don't know where the front plate for the 80 is either.

Easy button, just don't mount the plate. Also cuts the tax stamp install time in half every year. 😆

Arizona does not require a front license plates and can run what every you want on the front.
IMG_20180828_165443526.jpg

Up until the mid nineties license plates remained with the vehicle when it was sold. My FJ62 has only had one license plate since new. Another thing that changed was when a new style plate was issue only newly registered vehicles got the new style. You can also use previous style plates as long as the sequence of letters and numbers are being used. Still have the original plate that was on my 68 in 1974. My 73 FST while not registered since 1988 it has it's original issued plates.

In Ohio you have to buy the 25 year valid “antique” plate and keep it in your vehicle. You can then get a plate that is from your year as long as it is color correct and run that one. Ohio no longer has a front plate requirement. I was lucky and got some year/color correct plates. But unlucky as my 72 plate says A74F. And everyone thinks it’s a 74. Wish I was a better tig welder and I would rearrange and correct some plates to be just what I wanted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom