For Sale 1967 FJ45 LV - @ Meacum Auction August '15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a real 45 in reasonable shape the first car I might make some money on in the future, however I sure am enjoying having and driving it around once in a awhile.

I completely understand. These vehicles are wonderful to drive and , drive off road as needed. I grew up within the muscle car era, and the FJ40 prime time, and the muscle cars were the same. They went fast, burned rubber , and were great to drive. I suppose back then an old car was just that, an old car. Since auto manufacturing has gone the way it has, all the past has become "collectable". It seems the FJ series is catching up.

You are right on all accounts I started with cars and Hot Rods over 50 years ago and have settled down to Toyota Land cruisers as they are simple and a lot of fun to play with. i never envisioned that they would become such a rage and be worth so much, so be it I am still enjoying the time playing and working on them.

$180k. Not too shabby. I hope the new owner repaints the stupid red valve cover and silver rad shroud.

are we saying this bought $180k???? wow.

im with you all the way on the small details splangy. having never seen a V in the flesh I am not really qualified to comment. that master cylinder catches my eye? battery clamp?

it is a gorgeous resto to be sure but does need the finishing touches now; especially to back up the spiel in the advertisement.

sale end only was shown on Sunday's coverage a 1 hr 43 minutes into segment. The actual bidding was not shown.

I have a 64 fj 45lv wagon needing to be fully restored. The f motor has a crack an inch long under the freeze plug on the left side. There is minor water seepage around the crack. also the truck needs a new clutch assembly. I have a 78 fj55 drivetrain i could swap into the 64 fj45? Any thoughts about the pros and cons with this?

You are right on all accounts I started with cars and Hot Rods over 50 years ago and have settled down to Toyota Land cruisers as they are simple and a lot of fun to play with. i never envisioned that they would become such a rage and be worth so much, so be it I am still enjoying the time playing and working on them.
Years ago I stumbled across a Bring A Trailer listing for an LV. HERE is the link and below is a picture.
View attachment 1099988

Using the internet I tracked down the new owner and followed his build on HIS WEBSITE. I even emailed him a couple times hoping he'd be willing to sell me some parts off his donor rig, but sadly I never heard back.

Well, it looks like he's finished his build and is selling it at the Meacum Auction in August (lot R354) being held in Monterey, CA. I'm not tech savvy enough to post pictures of the finished product shown on Meacum's website but I hope someone reading this post is and will take a few minutes to attach them.

Colin, if you are reading this, I'm amazed at the quality of the finished product. I wish I could see it in person and even more so that I could afford to bid on it. Best wishes with the auction.

Years ago I stumbled across a Bring A Trailer listing for an LV. HERE is the link and below is a picture.
View attachment 1099988

Using the internet I tracked down the new owner and followed his build on HIS WEBSITE. I even emailed him a couple times hoping he'd be willing to sell me some parts off his donor rig, but sadly I never heard back.

Well, it looks like he's finished his build and is selling it at the Meacum Auction in August (lot R354) being held in Monterey, CA. I'm not tech savvy enough to post pictures of the finished product shown on Meacum's website but I hope someone reading this post is and will take a few minutes to attach them.

Colin, if you are reading this, I'm amazed at the quality of the finished product. I wish I could see it in person and even more so that I could afford to bid on it. Best wishes with the auction.

11870860_1153423011339313_4711957345199714161_n.jpg
Mike Mudge here. I'm the person Colin bought the 45 from, here in Calif. Colin sent me a mess of pictures during the resto process, up thru body and paint. A miraculous job for sure. After that, even after a few emails and phone calls...nothing. He kept it in his private collection, NFS, for about 6 or 7 years, near as I can tell.

If you look into the left background picture you'll see an old travel trailer. That's what I went to see/buy. But as I rounded the corner there was the FJ. The price of the trailer was no longer the issue. The motor ran, but poorly, and the rear diff was blown. BUT....the motor RAN.

Had it towed to a garage (the pic you have) and the shop owner fixed the diff. I paid 600 for the truck and 500 for the rebuild. Drove it home...very carefully. The steering was wacky. Stopped along the way and engaged the 4X and it worked.

I sold it because I knew I didn't have the time or money to make is real nice. What Colin did was insane. The picture was the very 1st one taken. I still have pix of Colin's if you'd like them sent along

Mike

Are the wheels supposed to be black?

Are the wheels supposed to be black?
Yes All 40 series in the US at least came with with black rims through roughly 1968. I have seen some very early LV brochures and photos that seem to show rims painted to match the body color, but that is an exception to the rule.

Here is a 1964 for reference
1964 toyota2.JPG

1964 LV as well
1964-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Station-Wagon-Jumping-Hill.jpg

To muddy the waters a little bit here is a 1963 LV, probably one of the first ones imported to the US, sporting what appears to be body color matched rims

129_0911_02_z+november_1964_archive+toyota_fj45v_wagon_page_1 (1).jpg

129_0911_03_z+november_1964_archive+toyota_fj45v_wagon_page_2 (1).jpg

Hi. I really don't know. How you see it in picture is how I took it home. The attached picture was taken by Colin the day it left the body and paint shop, headed for an interior. The rims are gloss black, near as I can tell. He matched factory specs on all colors on all parts.

fj45 1.png

The responses and remarks about this 45LV are pretty negative, and I find that puzzling. Since you are all enthusiasts and rabid about your "rides" , I don't see where criticism has a place. Disagreement over clamps or master cylinders, and such, just sound like "pee-pee" envy. I'd think that you'd be pleased to see some kind of bump in the value of your rigs. When you are trying to sell something you don't talk it down, you sell the sizzle. It's remarkable that someone out there liked the LV enough to bid that high, and could be the only person on the planet inclined to do so. There is fantasy and reality, and as to why someone would spend that much.....because that person had the expendable income. We should all be that lucky. In summary:

NEENER, NEENER! ;)

Neener, neener is exactly right. So what if it was $9k 6yrs ago...you missed out. You should have bought Google stock in 2001!

What's weird, is that you don't see that behavior much in real estate. People generally accept that beach front props are expensive and unobtainable for many/most people now. You don't typically find people in trailers in Alabama bitching about the cost of Big Sur and lamenting about how little it cost in 1970. ;)

People that have vintage 40's and 45's already should be happy that truck sold so high. This generally means that you have a truck that's appreciating, and it increases the likely hood that reproduction parts may soon become available. If x car is selling at $200k and all of them known to still exist in unrestored condition are missing discontinued weatherstrip, guess what? Somebody will start making repro weatherstrip!

I just still have a hard time believing it really sold for $180K, not that I would mind, but it seems like a truly insane price to pay

Hey, agreed on that point. I thought it would top at 100. I had no idea they could go that high. I had seen auction results on 40's but not 45's. So is the market for restored 45's actually higher than 40's? Dunno, but I can see how a wagon would go higher than a pickup. I can't think of many pickups that fetch insane money.

Last edited:
Hey, agreed on that point. I thought it would top at 100. I had no idea they could go that high. I had seen auction results on 40's but not 45's. So is the market for restored 45's actually higher than 40's? Dunno, but I can see how a wagon would go higher than a pickup. I can't think of many pickups that fetch insane money.

No doubt I think LVs fetch the largest sums, but it'd be interesting to see a similarly bone stock restored truck up for auction. I don't know if I've seen one yet most are resto mods.

Something along the lines of this LPB done by TLC4x4..... I bet it would push 6 figures at the right auction
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I think what may hurt 45 trucks is all the imports from South America. the 45LV is really a unique bird and they are not hiding in mass in some other country. I may be wrong but a 45LPB is along ways from the 100K mark. I also tend to think restoring a 45 is easier than a 40......assuming you have a good bed and top.

I may be wrong.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom