Rear Main Seal Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am fighting an oil leak out of clutch housing. I am assuming a rear main seal leak.

My engine was rebuilt 12 years ago. I did not start it until a year ago. Bad, I know.

I have seen products that claim to revitalize rear main seal. Thoughts?

Other ways to resolve?

My 2f engine weeps oil.

Hi,

I am fighting an oil leak out of clutch housing. I am assuming a rear main seal leak.

My engine was rebuilt 12 years ago. I did not start it until a year ago. Bad, I know.

I have seen products that claim to revitalize rear main seal. Thoughts?

Other ways to resolve?

My 2f engine weeps oil.

You will not know the exact location of the leak unless you pull the transmission, clutch, flywheel, bellhousing. High on the left side of the engine is a plug that may also leak if not installed correctly and that leak can mimic a RMS leak.

Have you pulled the clutch inspection cover and looked inside? What I thought was a rear main seal leak was actually an oil pan leak under the main bearing area. The key giveaway was a dry flywheel.

Mike
66397580793__AD07A5C3-872B-4255-B24E-FCFAF181911E.jpeg
66397586886__14394D98-883D-4626-8129-4EC7AFC1FA4C.jpeg

Last edited:
If someone pulled the valve cover for a valve adjustment they may have messed up the back part putting it back together, it would run down the back on to the bellhousing.

I pulled the clutch inspection plate. Flywheel is clean and oil-free. Tomorrow I am going to use a flexible camera scope and inspect the rear of the engine. It is time to replace my engine rebuild oil anyway.

I pulled the clutch inspection plate. Flywheel is clean and oil-free. Tomorrow I am going to use a flexible camera scope and inspect the rear of the engine. It is time to replace my engine rebuild oil anyway.
My experience was exactly the same. I thought initially it was a rear main, but no. In my example the oil pan gasket was the culprit. It blew oil all the way back to the transfer case. With a properly sealed oil pan I now have a clean dry engine, clutch cover, trans and transfer case. I’m now allowed to park in my in-laws driveway. Hopefully yours is as straightforward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom