Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen s Gifu body emblem where exactly is on an LV.
It wasn't on the 45LV, just the 28's far as I know. Maybe the 35 too, but who knows on that unicorn?

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 9.03.36 AM.png

Really! I’ll have to take a closer look, I didn’t think the 25 trans had a switch. That would be cool. So many little treasures on the 20 series
You're right actually, my bad! J30's onwards only!

Also some work is actually happening still - FINALLY sent the body off to sandblast today.

I also found out that a friend of a friend works at a casting place locally, and they let him work after hours to re-make my FJ45LV interior pull handles (out of brass so we can chrome or powdercoat them), as well as re-made the GIFU Body emblem for the rear so I can put the original away. I'm sure it won't be the last part I need casted so I hope they let that continue! They need some cleaning up before we finish them, but pretty darn close...

View attachment 2249317

View attachment 2249318

I think I need some of these handles. Will you let me know if you are going to make extras? Thanks, Mark

This thread has great info on the tranny. I had a tranny rebuilt using the gasket kit( GKT-134), and synchros from Splangy. I think some gaskets had to be made, but most are in the kit. I cant find the part number right now, but there is a Honda seal the works for the front drive transfer shaft.

This thread has great info on the tranny. I had a tranny rebuilt using the gasket kit( GKT-134), and synchros from Splangy. I think some gaskets had to be made, but most are in the kit. I cant find the part number right now, but there is a Honda seal the works for the front drive transfer shaft.
Great info thank you! If you come across the PN for the Honda seal please do let me know. I'm going to order a couple of these kits, they're pretty cheap.

Try getting in touch with Sean @67azcruizr for the filter/pump combo, He is the “Lucky” owner of it. Hopefully someone will chime in for loaning a tailgate emblem.
No luck on the filter/pump combo, Sean said he sold it long ago. The manual calls out part number K-F 25400. I'll keep an eye out for one but this is probably something I'll never find. Please don't all judge me too harshly if I use the separate filter/pump like the 25's used

Please don't all judge me too harshly if I use the separate filter/pump like the 25's used
Well there goes my hopes for a Land Cruiser to win Pebble Beach. As long as you keep up hope, you may just find one. Until then we all understand the use of the separate parts.

1950’s chevys has fuel pump/filter combos .... maybe got exact match... but... maybe something close? Or something that you can modify with a toyota pump ? Look up AC or Chevy

I can look around at some point as well
I did see those Chevy ones. Got me excited at first glance! I think sticking with the 25 setup is probably better than using one of those but they are pretty cheap - I like your idea about seeing if I could “make” a Kyosan one using the Toyota pump and one is these... worth a look!

1585836309342.png

This international looks promising

Ohh. I like it, the top piece is really what i need and it looks darn close. I think I’ll pull the trigger there’s an identical one NOS at $30. That’s definitely worth a shot. Thanks Johnny!

Starting some conversation with @Coolerman about this wiring harness and getting it in his queue. I’ll have to get him some dimensions for the modification to the rear harness length and the fuel sending unit (vs FJ25) but also had a few questions maybe some of you have answers:
  1. How/where was the Vader light switched in 1960?
  2. I’ve got an LV/55 dome light to use thanks to @Land Cruiser Junky, I can see that this had one at one point Based on a mounting plate present on the ceiling. How would this have been switched? My LV doesn't have a dome light so I'm not sure how it was originally.
  3. for the semaphores it appears to me these are just hardwired, and they only turn on when the mechanical cable-operated switch opens them up to create a connection. To me it seems like perhaps this should be my only turn signal . Wouldn’t make sense to have two signal switches right? But then I wonder if these blinked, and should I have it wired to the flasher relay somehow?
  4. I found a 6-post non-USA light switch. Is this how the fog lights should be switched, with the extra position on it? Or did the fog lights have a separate switch and if so where was it mounted?
  5. Based on the pink 28VA it doesn’t look like these ever had a pintle hitch or trailer wiring plug - @cruiserdan does yours have evidence of either of those? The bumper on the VA looks like an LV bumper, and I don't see any evidence of a trailer harness on Lara.
  6. I'm assuming I figure out the denso clamshell heater previously discussed - I don't think I've actually seen a switch for one of these things before. I think I'm planning on just using a generic somewhat toyota looking pull switch like this one that's mounted below dash to turn it on unless someone has info that should steer me elsewhere? Didn't want to put an extra hole in the dash.
Otherwise I think it should be the same as a 25. Anything else I'm forgetting?

Last edited:
So the semaphores would be the only turn signal without a blinking tail light? I think it would be cool if you could wire the tail lights to work off the same switch but I'm not sure that's possible.

Last edited:
So there semaphores would be the only turn signal without a blinking tail light? I think it would be cool if you could wire the tail lights to work off the same switch but I'm not sure that's possible.
Shoot I didn’t think about the tail lights duh... those should be switched and blinking. @JohnnyC any evidence of early cruisers that had both winkers and a turn switch?

I think I was hoping to get myself out of having to try to find an FJ25 turn switch haha.

EDIT: Actually now that I look at the pink 28VA it appears it has both a column switch (which I guess would be for the bib lights and tail lights) as well as a dash switch which I presume would operate the winkers. Seems odd to me to have both but maybe the winkers were used for a different purpose than turn signals?

1586218147503.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom