Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

found a user manual in German. with good pictures.
Nice!
I'd almost bet a rear heater motor would fit.
Got a picture of any of those motors?? That would sure make things easy! One unusual thing about these motors is they have a propeller both on the top and the bottom. Not sure though maybe not having the fan on the bottom wouldn’t matter?

Last edited:
why not have an auto electrical shop rebuild the motor to 12v
Hadn’t thought of that, they do that kind of thing? I assume there are auto electrical shops in Phoenix but have never used one. Will see first if I can source a new motor, that will probably be the cheapest option.

Got these apart this morning. They’re amazingly similar. Either one copied the other or they were made by some third party (my guess) that just badged them differently.

Only real differences (aside from the motors of course) are the set screws on the fan blades, and how the motors mount. Also the back cover on the Bosch is metal, the Denso is plastic. That could be a product of timeframe of manufacture. The clips that hold the pieces together are even identical.

time to start cleaning them up and seeing what I can find for new motors. If I can I’ll put a new 12V in both of them. Otherwise I’ll swap the Bosch 12V into the Denso.

View attachment 2237484

The reason they are very similar because these heaters are essentially designed by Bosch and were supplied under OEM license to Toyota, Mitsubishi etc. Photo Courtesy - @Indygbd

E343DCC6-D9E4-41B5-A82C-7F559EE378EE.jpeg

Here is an old pic, ebrake hole needs a little work, otherwise pretty darn solid( just have to make sure I have it still’View attachment 2224000
Received this tranny cover yesterday, thank you @whitey45 ! Much better shape than the one on Lara right now, and should make for simpler repairs.

I’m basically a stay at home dad for the next few weeks it seems. So we probably won’t be getting a whole lot done on this project for a bit until schools reopen. In the meantime continuing my parts hunting. hope you all are staying safe and have plenty of toilet paper ;)

1584560340949.png

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not really concerned about the toilet paper thing either. I stopped wiping years ago. :D

Great find with that tranny cover. Bringing it back one piece at a time. Good job Whitey.

Received this yesterday, thank you @whitey45 ! Much better shape than the one on Lara right now, and should make for simpler repairs.

I’m basically a stay at home dad for the next few weeks it seems. So we probably won’t be getting a whole lot done on this project for a bit until schools reopen. In the meantime continuing my parts hunting. hope you all are staying safe and have plenty of toilet paper ;)

View attachment 2242478
Fortunately, i had just bought a brick from sams about two weeks ago cause wyoming is number two and hoarding the stuff for number two ;)

Found one of these old Koito reverse lights the other day. Anybody know exactly where it’s supposed to mount? Years available, etc? It’s got a bolt on a hinge so seems like maybe it was below the bumper? This must have been on a switch too since I don't believe there's any way to wire it up to the transmission.

D29837E1-A2EE-4A30-AA65-A3A5DDD0E77C.jpeg

1584850651934.png

Last edited:
@scoobiedubes, the reverse light switch is on the rear of the trans. So you could run that bad boy!

Dang, that thing looks brand new. I think it's too new for your 28, better send it along, it most likely belongs on my '63 45 or '65 40. Omaha, hut, hut ... :p

Found one of these old Koito reverse lights the other day. Anybody know exactly where it’s supposed to mount? Years available, etc? It’s got a bolt on a hinge so seems like maybe it was below the bumper? This must have been on a switch too since I don't believe there's any way to wire it up to the transmission.

View attachment 2245139
View attachment 2245523

Mounting on this looks more of late 70”s - 80’s. FJ25 specific had a fixed stud coming out of the top of housing, as visible in picture. Good find nevertheless, looks cool.

- FJ25 tranny doesn’t have provision for a backup switch. I believe it was a manual switch mounted on dash.

Mounting on this looks more of late 70”s - 80’s. FJ25 specific had a fixed stud coming out of the top of housing, as visible in picture. Good find nevertheless, looks cool.

- FJ25 tranny doesn’t have provision for a backup switch. I believe it was a manual switch mounted on dash.
The 1970s/1980s ones were mounted on the body or as part of the taillight though, this one has a glass lens and a stud coming out of the top like the one in the manual. Not 100% sure I'll use it, kinda seems like a weird piece actually but had not seen one before and thought I'd see if the community had any ideas. I think it might look a little odd and "busy" back there with it on but we will see.

Also some work is actually happening still - FINALLY sent the body off to sandblast today.

I also found out that a friend of a friend works at a casting place locally, and they let him work after hours to re-make my FJ45LV interior pull handles (out of brass so we can chrome or powdercoat them), as well as re-made the GIFU Body emblem for the rear so I can put the original away. I'm sure it won't be the last part I need casted so I hope they let that continue! They need some cleaning up before we finish them, but pretty darn close...

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

Also some work is actually happening still - FINALLY sent the body off to sandblast today.

I also found out that a friend of a friend works at a casting place locally, and they let him work after hours to re-make my FJ45LV interior pull handles (out of brass so we can chrome or powdercoat them), as well as re-made the GIFU Body emblem for the rear so I can put the original away. I'm sure it won't be the last part I need casted so I hope they let that continue! They need some cleaning up before we finish them, but pretty darn close...

View attachment 2249317

View attachment 2249318

Please help us in making FJ25 Tailgate emblem.

WOW! That thing is cool... is it as rare as I assume it must be? I don't think i'll lose sleep over finding that ever, pretty awesome to know it exists!

I would be happy to reproduce some tailgate emblems if someone's got one I can borrow to template!

Try getting in touch with Sean @67azcruizr for the filter/pump combo, He is the “Lucky” owner of it. Hopefully someone will chime in for loaning a tailgate emblem.

View attachment 2249317

View attachment 2249318
I don’t think I’ve ever seen s Gifu body emblem where exactly is on an LV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom