Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They do look good...the actual size looks really close ... the pinkie has a pewter looking bezel between body and light .... it seems you can create a spacer ... maybe a new 3d print job :)

Screw it on like the pinkie has

Last edited:
I think one of the best parts is that the lights say made in Japan... it would look the part and function as intended !!
Agreed! I just edited the post to add a photo from pinkie for comparison. I think 3d printing a bezel like that one is a good idea to give it a nice finished look.

"It takes a village of cruiser addicts to raise a 28”.

When you're finished you'll have to send some pics over to Cahaba Cruisers who sold the red 28 and tell them, "Here, this is how it's done".

Just saw Proffit got that pile. Hope he can save it.

The light blue one is now dark blue. Does not look too murdered.

535D22CA-CAD8-41A5-BF8D-314F19BC0ECF.jpeg

What's the story on the 28 pickup? What year and who owns it? This is the first I've seen it. Beautiful.

@Grease Cruiser is Proffit correct?

Wondering if he has any pics that will help each other out

Must have seen @scoobiedubes Thread I would think... if not it would definitely help him
What's the story on the 28 pickup? What year and who owns it? This is the first I've seen it. Beautiful.

Is it really a 28 pickup? That is a 40 series license plate light, possibly for a 40 series. By the spacing of the bumperettes on the rear frame member looks to be off a 68-73 40 series. Rear step is certainly not correct. Can't tell if the front diff has a removeable cover like the FJ25. Also thought the bed was separate from the cab. But be curious of the story on this one. Looks nicely done but think it may have stated out as something other than a FJ28.

Is it really a 28 pickup? That is a 40 series license plate light, possibly for a 40 series. By the spacing of the bumperettes on the rear frame member looks to be off a 68-73 40 series. Rear step is certainly not correct. Can't tell if the front diff has a removeable cover like the FJ25. Also thought the bed was separate from the cab. But be curious of the story on this one. Looks nicely done but think it may have stated out as something other than a FJ28.

Sorry, not to tread up this thread too much.

This is a real thing. There is one other for sure at the Land Cruiser museum. Both came from Venezuela
Here is how it was found 3 years ago. As I said. Not murdered like the red and white wagon.

C59567F5-6F9D-423C-8E09-D7F231EBAC9E.jpeg

House of Cruisers had the other one. Unfortunately it got painted but it did end up in the museum.

54A5A79A-CF7A-40EF-8086-D16B82A187C0.jpeg

3CC54F69-770F-4171-A28E-7A6AFC2786A7.jpeg

0DA7A47A-7B7A-4EA5-88C6-65709D837539.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry, not to tread up this thread too much. Sorry. This is a real thing. There is one other for sure at the Land Cruiser museum. Both came from Venezuela
Here is how it was found 3 years ago. As I said. Not murdered like the red and white wagon.

View attachment 2233650
House of Cruisers had the other one. Unfortunately it got painted but it did end up in the museum.

View attachment 2233651

View attachment 2233652

View attachment 2233653

Venezuela explains a lot. One of those markets with locally added parts. Seen the 75 series pickup had a Dana rear axle added in Venezuela. Doesn't matter new or old all the really cool Land Cruisers were never imported to the US.

Definitely a real deal. There is a third one out there for sure. My guess is they started out as cab-chassis like a large number of 25/28s did. In person the bodywork does not look like two dissimilar vehicles joined together like a 28V or 45V does.

Definitely a real deal. ......... started out as cab-chassis like a large number of 25/28s did.

come to find out.... the 28 was only cab chassis:

Quiet week on the 28 this week been tinkering with some annoying little things on the LV that have been bugging me. BUT I did get a couple of interesting things in the mail for Lara.

one of these is a 24V Denso heater. The other is a 12V Bosch heater that is almost identical (and appears to be almost new too). Hoping to disassemble and find that the motors can be swapped to make a 12V Denso heater and I guess then a 24V Bosch heater that I would try to sell. Or maybe I’ll find that I can source another 12V motor that would work? Will try to get them both apart in the next few days and see how interchangeable the parts are. Fingers crossed. The fans do look a little different peeking inside...

This was a piece I really felt like this 28 had to have (and it does appear it has had a heater at some point in its lifetime).

84610B61-CC02-48D3-957B-30305BA4BFD4.jpeg

0794FEC1-DEFD-4494-805F-2EE12AAB2C71.jpeg

85D1116C-DA7D-4FE1-A42A-87D6BA3EA866.jpeg

0F2FE035-1FBE-48A7-A11E-8DF55D12C1F7.jpeg

Quiet week on the 28 this week been tinkering with some annoying little things on the LV that have been bugging me. BUT I did get a couple of interesting things in the mail for Lara.

one of these is a 24V Denso heater. The other is a 12V Bosch heater that is almost identical (and appears to be almost new too). Hoping to disassemble and find that the motors can be swapped to make a 12V Denso heater and I guess then a 24V Bosch heater that I would try to sell. Or maybe I’ll find that I can source another 12V motor that would work? Will try to get them both apart in the next few days and see how interchangeable the parts are. Fingers crossed. The fans do look a little different peeking inside...

This was a piece I really felt like this 28 had to have (and it does appear it has had a heater at some point in its lifetime).

View attachment 2237163

View attachment 2237164

View attachment 2237165

View attachment 2237166
Great work, good to see another old cruiser being saved! Rather than having to take the heaters apart and see what can be swapped, have you considered using a DC to DC converter that uses the 12V from the battery to create a 24V supply? Electronic shops do sell theses modules. I know it is not original but you might be able to install the module out of sight. Keep up the good work!

Great work, good to see another old cruiser being saved! Rather than having to take the heaters apart and see what can be swapped, have you considered using a DC to DC converter that uses the 12V from the battery to create a 24V supply? Electronic shops do sell theses modules. I know it is not original but you might be able to install the module out of sight. Keep up the good work!
That’s a good backup plan, hopefully don’t have to do that but would certainly work if I had to I think! Just find someplace to hide the converter. I looked for some online and it’s hard to tell how big they are.
could almost just swap the doors lol
I think you may be right, the only downside to doing that is the Bosch has a nice little badge on the top of it and the Denso has some cool old original stickers that I’d want to try to swap over. Probably doable though, if I run into trouble maybe that’s the route

Got these apart this morning. They’re amazingly similar. Either one copied the other or they were made by some third party (my guess) that just badged them differently.

Only real differences (aside from the motors of course) are the set screws on the fan blades, and how the motors mount. Also the back cover on the Bosch is metal, the Denso is plastic. That could be a product of timeframe of manufacture. The clips that hold the pieces together are even identical.

time to start cleaning them up and seeing what I can find for new motors. If I can I’ll put a new 12V in both of them. Otherwise I’ll swap the Bosch 12V into the Denso.

2CD885E0-F07D-491F-B7AC-3CA5701B898B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom