1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

150 Amp Alternator - Thanks Photoman

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Otamiway, Feb 27, 2012.

1. RFB

RFB 97 FZJ80 LIFTED BLOWN DUAL BATTERIES,37s SILVER Star

Media:
    so should i up to a 200 or 1140 amp slo fuse/ because Im getting ready to do this as I have a leak to tend with

2. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I would go with a 150 amp fuse. The Mega fuses have a slow blow characteristic and can take an over amperage for a period of time.
    The fuse that I used is the Blue Sea 5103. It works in the 5001 fuse block.
    There is a chart on the page showing the working area of the fuse.

RFB likes this.
  3. RFB

Media:
    and I know its asking a lot but is there a picture of the wiring afer the upgrade, Ive already had a dfire and I want to do this right first time. fire was unrelated to alternator BTW

4. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I will try to get a picture tomorrow for you unless someone else posts up. It might be later in the day since I have a meeting to go to.

5. RFB

Media:
    at your leisure I have to pull out battery box shroud etc for a leak so its the perfect time to do it all at once.

6. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I took a look at the upgrade thread. There are several pictures there showing the fuse block attached to the battery box. There is also an option for a fuse that bolts directly to the battery positive terminal. My pictures would be the same as these pictures. Let me know if these pictures are good enough.

From the upgrade thread:

concretejungle - page 5 post #94
    TrickyT - page 6 post #105 TrickyT found the battery terminal fuse holder
    rhyary - page 8 post #152 rhyary shows the battery terminal fuse holder installed
    fj80pb - page 17 post #331 third picture down shows the fuse block attached to the battery box

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    RFB and Tapage like this.
  7. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What I ended up doing was just install a 150 amp alternator/wiring and take pictures on an old cruiser I have. Along the way I discovered a different way (again) to do the wiring that may help folks out.

The first picture is a front view showing how the ring terminal needs to be bent so the new wire is facing up.

Alternator new charging wire view from front.jpg

Here is a top view which also shows wire routing.

Alternator new charging wire view from top.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the fuse holder mounted on the battery box showing wire routing.

Alternator fuse holder on battery box.jpg

Alternator fuse holder on battery box top.jpg

Alternator fuse holder on battery box another angle.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM
    cowboyjack and RFB like this.
  8. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The new wiring I figured out is to take the stock white wires from the alternator and connect them to the fuse block with the new charging wire. It is important to connect them on the correct (alternator) side of the fuse block. This eliminates trying to get the two ring terminals on the alternator "B" post.

Alternator wires connected to fuse block.jpg

The new fuse block comes with a clear cover. Mine did not. I put both wires in a boot for protection. All pictures do not have wire loom etc to hopefully get better clarity.

Alternator wires at fuse block both in boot.jpg

works good

Alternator working good.jpg

Edit to add - The length of the two wires is 16 inches ring eye center to center for the charging wire and 12 inches on the wire from fuse holder to battery positive. I think because of the short lengths involved here, number 4 wire should be good and would be easier to work with than the number 2 I used. Three of the ring terminals had a 5/16 inch hole and the one for the alternator "B" post had a 1/4 inch hole. Also if mounting the stock alternator wires to the fuse holder, the stock ring terminal hole size has to increased to 5/16 inch. A step bit while holding the ring terminal with vise grips works well.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    cowboyjack and RFB like this.
  9. RFB

Media:
    Ok so on the bottom of the fuse the white wiring goes back to cut in FL correct.

10. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess FL is fusible link. Remove the old fusible link in the AM1/Main box. Keep it for an emergency. If you look at my second to last picture of the stock wires formally on the alternator "B" post, you will see 2 white wires. The one wire you are killing by removing the fusible link. That was the old charging wire from the stock alternator "B" post to the battery positive through the fusible link. The other one must be connected to alternator power to feed some circuits that were directly fed from the alternator before.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM