06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sign me up as a beta tester as well - No problems currently with the air induction system currently, but would happily pull off the pump and valves - I've been planning to replace my intake gaskets anyway.

Checking in

2006 LX470 air induction pump failure at 110k

This morning I turned the LC on and got a CEL, followed by the VSC lights and went into limp mode (~20mph max). Luckily I was still in the neighborhood when this happened. Codes are p1441, p1444, and p2440.

P1441 AIR valve bank 1 open stuck:
P1444 AIR valve bank 2 open stuck:
P2440 AIR valve open stuck:​

The Hewitt kit is $259 AND addresses these codes. eBay are $199.

Two new valves are $81/ea for no1/no2, $164 for the air switching valve, and a new pump is $414.

Our Hewitt-Tech V36H Plug and play kits are currently (01/2018) $259 on our site and $295 on Ebay. Our V26W Wired kits are $169 on our site and $194 on Ebay.
The kit you are referencing for $199 on Ebay are not ours but a cheap knockoff of one of our older units, they are not the same and there are big differences, you get what you pay for.

edit* Forgot to mention we now have Free USPS Priority Mail Shipping On all of our Bypass Kits through our website and discounted Fedex options!

If you want to actually repair the system we highly recommend you stay away from the cheap aftermarket or reman parts. We have heard from Too many customers that those parts either do not work at all or fail in a month or two, particularly the cheap pumps. The problem even then is that if you go with the expensive factory parts the systems still tend to fail again but it does last longer. There is nothing worse than having to keep doing the same work repeatedly on a vehicle. I learned that lesson after doing knock sensors 3 times on my RX300 (the last with the expensive Toyota sensor). Getting access to those on the RX makes pulling the intake on a 4.7L look like an oil change.

Checking in

2006 LX470 air induction pump failure at 110k

We would be glad to help you with that. You can check out kits for your system on our Hewitt-Tech SAIS Bypass Kits - Store website or give us a call Toll Free 844-307-7671 with your trouble codes and we can get you taken care of.

I put one of Hewitt-Tech's Plug and Play kits on my '06 over two years ago. I've honestly forgotten about it. Been perfect and I'd highly recommend.

Im glad this thread has some activity as i was just going to post a new one.

The dealer replaced all pumps and valves on mine a couple of months ago, luckily I paid nothing as I bought it from there a month prior. One thing that makes me uncomfortable is that there is nothing to prevent the new parts from failing in the future and the repair is costly.

I want to have the bypass installed for some piece of mind. Being a California vehicle, do I risk the chance failing a smog test?

Anyone with the bypass successfully pass a smog test afterwards?

Sorry didn't get a notification again of a reply... frustrating.

Anyways. We have plenty of people install the modules as preventative both before a failure and after a system is replaced.
We always recommend getting the system replaced under warranty if possible and then installing a bypass kit to prevent it from failing again.
At least once a week we get a call from a customer that has already either had the system replaced wither under warranty, or worse had to pay for it to be replaced, just to have it failed again a few months or year or two later.

As far as emissions testing goes we do not sell them specifically to pass emissions and only for off-road or exempt vehicle use only and we leave that up to the customer since you are essentially disabling an emissions control system. Having said that if you were to put a kit on a vehicle with a failed or a perfectly operating secondary air system you would still be able to pass emissions if for whatever reason you got your off-road or exempt vehicle tested as long as...

1)there are not any other problems with the vehicle causing a CEL and you get any kit addons you may need for any electrical fault type codes you need (things like a bad pump motor P0418/P0419 or damaged pressure sensors etc..)

2) you are able to clear all the trouble codes and get enough drive cycles to set all the other emissions monitors to complete. If it is a 2009 or newer this would include clearing the set and pending trouble codes to turn off the CEL and then enough drive cycles for the permanant emissions codes to drop out by themselve (possibly up to 40 drive cycles).

I just read all the posts on the tundra forum. This is interesting. Does anyone else have an 06-07 that has had this issue? just curious at what mileage these failures are taking place?

I just purchased a 08 GX with 135,000 miles and had it checked out at the dealer prior to purchasing it. Two days later my dash lights up like a christmas tree!! The secondary air injection system was to blame and the Toyota Dealer i took it back to quoted my to $1600 to repair. I found the block off option and i am about to order it and call it a day. Happy there is a cheaper solution since im spending my hard earned money elsewhere (goblin bumper and boss 3'' lift among others)

Ordered kit today. Christmas tree lights on startup this am. Ive heard the shopvac sound several times over the past couple of weeks. It loud enough that my wife noticed. This is a great thread. Thx gang.

Installed the Hewitt bypass kit for the 08 GX (more $$) it came with very clear instructions and you should easily be able to perform this install at home with minimal tools. This took me 30 max. As soon as I was done the lexus dash lights were off and she ran perfect. Good alternative.

@hewitttech any news on the complete block-off elimination kit that was in development?

We are still working on it but I had to take a small break from it to work on other business projects which will hopefully free up more of my time for actual engineering. After the amount of progress I made with it earlier this year I hope hitting it hard again soon can finally get us there.

Bypass complete. Longest part of the job was removing the plastic skid plate. Came at the exhaust tubes from underneath truck. I hit them with PB last night and the broke free very easily. No more shop vac noise and Christmas tree lights / limo mode worry. From start to finish took about an hour.

So I installed the bypass from Hewitt about a month ago and today I still got the Christmas lights on my dash. Anyone had this happen?

Could be any number of things so if you haven't already get the codes read and let us know what they are. Give us a call or shoot us an email with them and we can help you figure out what is going on.
844-307-7671 Support@Hewitt-Tech.com

06 LX 120K, yesterday at cold start truck threw CEL and promptly went into limp mode. Barely made it to work with that damn limp mode. Pulled a p2445 code, Toyota dealer wants $1800 to fix. Thanks to this awesome MUD post I promptly called up Paul at Hewitttech right after I got off the phone with the service advisor at Toyota, and immediately ordered a plug and play bypass for my rig.
Hopefully this will take care of this garbage SAIS and get me back on the road. I will update after I install it.

18654E8A-1C08-4929-97EA-CDFA7CCE4EC1.jpeg
06 LX 120K, yesterday at cold start truck threw CEL and promptly went into limp mode. Barely made it to work with that damn limp mode. Pulled a p2445 code, Toyota dealer wants $1800 to fix. Thanks to this awesome MUD post I promptly called up Paul at Hewitttech right after I got off the phone with the service advisor at Toyota, and immediately ordered a plug and play bypass for my rig.
Hopefully this will take care of this garbage SAIS and get me back on the road. I will update after I install it.

So I installed the v36h kit.
Plug in play is a cinch.
The block off plates, like most things in life you do the first time, were a pain in the neck.
I came at them from both fender wheelwell and underneath after removing the plastic skid plate. Used lots of pb blaster and other penetrating oils. This rig lived in Connecticut/Massachusetts it’s while life and even though my rig looks pretty good underneath rust wise all considering, the nuts Were rusted good where the block plates inserted. Pic is driver side after plastic skid plate removed, nuts are backed out and about to gap and insert block plate.

So far so good. I will update again.

Looking forward to more successful information here

View attachment 1780350

So I installed the v36h kit.
Plug in play is a cinch.
The block off plates, like most things in life you do the first time, were a pain in the neck.
I came at them from both fender wheelwell and underneath after removing the plastic skid plate. Used lots of pb blaster and other penetrating oils. This rig lived in Connecticut/Massachusetts it’s while life and even though my rig looks pretty good underneath rust wise all considering, the nuts Were rusted good where the block plates inserted. Pic is driver side after plastic skid plate removed, nuts are backed out and about to gap and insert block plate.

So far so good. I will update again.

I had the same code pop up on my 08 GX two days after purchase and I was quoted a similar price to fix the problem. I also called Hewittech and purchased a bypass kit and was a strait forward install and solved the problem at a 1/4 th the cost. Very happy this was an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom