06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I figured I should post this in case others run into the same problem as me in the future.

I bought an 06 LX470 with 96k miles last month from a Lexus dealer. Long story short, the secondary air induction system pump failed with code p2445 (Secondary Air Injection System Pump Stuck OFF Bank 1) within 2 weeks of picking up the truck and after putting less than 200 miles on it.

I took it over to the dealership to get it checked to confirm what my code reader said and to make sure they hadn't left a hose disconnected or something when they did the 90k mile service (this service was conducted as a part of the purchase agreement). They told me it was $3300 to replace the system.

The service manager went to bat for me (he thought they should just fix it for me given that I had hardly driven it) but ultimately the dealer said they weren't going to cover it. I got Lexus involved and after a couple of weeks and some arm twisting, the dealer offered to cover 1/3 the cost. I said thanks, but no thanks.

It looks to me like I can pick up the pump and 3 valves the dealer wanted to replace for about $800. And it doesn't look like it's more than about 5-6 hours of labor to get it done. It's more than I'm going to do myself but it looks like a pretty straightforward repair for most shops.

However, before I dropped a bunch of cash to fix it, I decided to order one of the bypass kits for the 4.7L: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...292473-ultimate-aip-bypass-model-new-version/

I chose that module (there are 2 options out there along with a DIY solution) because the other one being sold requires cutting into the factory wiring harness. I just wasn't comfortable with that.

Installing the plug itself was obviously very easy. You just unplug the air sensor harness on the intake and plug the module in the middle.

I tried to keep it as "low profile" as possible so I ended up attaching the module with some heavy duty velcro up underneath the diagnostics port on the passenger side. There are lots of other wires and cables running around there so unless you know what you're looking for, it looks relatively stock, IMO.

lCMjG9Zl.jpg

zz1Uj23l.jpg

I drove around like this for a couple of days and sure enough, I'm now "green" across the board for the OBD emissions tests. I've got to say that my OBDLink MX code reader and the Torque Pro app have paid for themselves a couple of times over at this point.

However, the guy that makes the module recommends installing the block-off plates (even though it's not technically required for code p2445) to physically block off the system and ensure that hot exhaust gasses don't work their way past the valves and set off other codes.

In the tundras, it looks like you can just reach around behind the engine with a socket wrench, loosen the bolts on the flange where the AIP system connects in to the rear of the manifold, and slide the block-off plates in. That wasn't working for me. The only nut I could physically get to from the top was the outside passenger side of the flange.

My solution was to come at it from underneath the engine. I had to pull off the big plastic guard (8 12mm bolts) to get some working room. Then I sprayed everything down with PB Blaster and let it sit. I came back with an open 10mm wrench and was able to break each of the 4 nuts loose. I backed them off a few turns by hand and was then able to slide the block-off plates in place.

Tighten the flanges back up, reinstall the engine cover and Bob's your uncle.

I've heard that the AIP system is really the only "weakness" of the 06/07 100's and I certainly agree with that. The cost to replace this system at the dealer is ridiculous. However, the bypass modules seem to work great and while the block-off plates were a bit of a pain, it's really not a difficult install overall.

So my advice is this: I wouldn't let potential AIP issues scare anybody off of an 06/07. However, be aware that these systems do fail and if you want to bring it back to stock condition, the fix is expensive. If you're OK with bypassing the AIP system, then there are several options out there for ~$150 and 30 minutes of your time.

Personally if I was buying another 06/07, one of the first things I'd install would be this bypass system just to prevent any issues from cropping up in the first place. When the system fails it can force your truck into limp mode (it did for me) and sets off the CEL and VRSC lights on the dash. If this happened while you were out in the boonies and didn't have a way to reset it, it could potentially be a real problem. So in my view, the module is a great way to prevent that from ever being an issue.

Last edited:
Outstanding solution and thread. ;)

Short answer: No downside

Longer answer:

The AIP system was introduced to the 100 series in 2006. I believe Tundras and possibly Sequoia's received in in 2005. It's an emissions system and has absolutely nothing to do with the function of the engine. The sole purpose of this is to introduce additional oxygen into the exhaust on a cold start in order to heat up your catalytic converter faster.

It only runs when the coolant is below 104 degrees and the air temp is above 40 degrees. When it does run, it's only for a few minutes until everything heats up. It pumps air from up near the intake into the exhaust where the manifold leaves the engine block.

Failures of these systems has been a big issue on the Tundras. Replacing the system is $3k+ at a dealer. They had enough failures that the standard warranty was upped to 10-yr/150k on the 2007 and newer Tundras and Sequoias. However, that doesn't apply to 05 and 06 Tundras and Sequoias or any 100-series. IMO, this should be a warranty repair.

Unfortunately you can't just unplug the system because it's part of the OBD emissions testing that the car conducts on itself. If you're not "green" on the test, you won't be able to pass an inspection (not to mention unplugging the pumps will cause a CEL). These modules take care of all of this. And if you're in a smog testing state, if the car has been driven for more than a few minutes on the way to the inspection location, there's not going to be any difference the performance of the catalytic converter.

I suppose in theory, I could receive some kind of fine for disabling an emissions system. I've never heard of this happening before with one of these modules and it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.

I just read all the posts on the tundra forum. This is interesting. Does anyone else have an 06-07 that has had this issue? just curious at what mileage these failures are taking place?

Short answer: No downside

Longer answer:

The AIP system was introduced to the 100 series in 2006. I believe Tundras and possibly Sequoia's received in in 2005. It's an emissions system and has absolutely nothing to do with the function of the engine. The sole purpose of this is to introduce additional oxygen into the exhaust on a cold start in order to heat up your catalytic converter faster.

It only runs when the coolant is below 104 degrees and the air temp is above 40 degrees. When it does run, it's only for a few minutes until everything heats up. It pumps air from up near the intake into the exhaust where the manifold leaves the engine block.

Failures of these systems has been a big issue on the Tundras. Replacing the system is $3k+ at a dealer. They had enough failures that the standard warranty was upped to 10-yr/150k on the 2007 and newer Tundras and Sequoias. However, that doesn't apply to 05 and 06 Tundras and Sequoias or any 100-series. IMO, this should be a warranty repair.

Unfortunately you can't just unplug the system because it's part of the OBD emissions testing that the car conducts on itself. If you're not "green" on the test, you won't be able to pass an inspection (not to mention unplugging the pumps will cause a CEL). These modules take care of all of this. And if you're in a smog testing state, if the car has been driven for more than a few minutes on the way to the inspection location, there's not going to be any difference the performance of the catalytic converter.

I suppose in theory, I could receive some kind of fine for disabling an emissions system. I've never heard of this happening before with one of these modules and it's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Great thread, great explanation. This should be made part of the 100 series info threads. I would think every owner of a 2006-2007 would need this information.

I believe some of the later GX470s have this system as well. I recall replacing the air injection pumps on some of these when I worked at a dealer.

@TexasCrane Good info, thanks. Just to be clear though, so with this installed does it affect the signal when the emissions station plugs into the OBDII for testing? Here they just plug in, no exhaust test. I'm assuming everything would come back fine as the module makes the ECU believes everything is as well.

@TexasCrane Good info, thanks. Just to be clear though, so with this installed does it affect the signal when the emissions station plugs into the OBDII for testing? Here they just plug in, no exhaust test. I'm assuming everything would come back fine as the module makes the ECU believes everything is as well.

That's exactly correct, it will pass an OBDII test. Here's a screenshot from Torque Pro:

XvhLlbdl.png

Here's the link to the guy selling the other module kit (that requires cutting into the factory wiring harness). In the 2nd post, he includes a link to an OBDII emissions test report on his truck with the module installed. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

As a general FYI, while the failure rates do seem to be pretty low on the LC/LX, there are posts from LC/LX owners in the tundrasolutions thread above that have had failures. So while I haven't seen many posts about this on mud, there are others out there that have had this issue on their 100-series.

Last edited:
Ok great, that's what I thought. I'm just wondering if this is something to do as a preventative item or not as it may never fail. Going by ratio of failures to number of these motors produced, it's pretty low.

I had this happen o my 06 LX last september at approx 72000 miles. I did the bypass where i had to cut into the wire harness. I also installed the blockoff plates. I did this AFTER the dealer replaced the two valves for $1000. 10000 miles later, no problems. Frankly, the cost to repair is so prohibitive and there is no guarantee that it will not happen again. It was a no brainer.

Tim

I had the same codes and diagnosis per the Lexus dealer. My issues occurred less than 1 mile after I picked truck up from its 90k service. They quoted me $4200. I refused to pay anything since I dropped off a truck in perfect condition. While I was arguing with the dealership, their tech called the service manager...turns out he left off one vacuum hose. No problems since they attached all the hoses that they took off.

thanks for posting this! I really was not aware of this failure being that common; but after reading the tundra site they may have a larger population?? thanks again keep us informed on how things go

I think they sell roughly 125k Tundra's per year, so yes, there is a much larger population base. The only thing that had to be "reset" was clearing the ECU codes.

Yep, the dealership said water and small leaves are ingested and destroy the pump. I asked if there was a screen that prevented debris from getting and they said no because it would get clogged. Having to clean a screen sounds cheaper than having to replace a pump. Anyways, we have put 125k miles on our 2006 and it has been fine since they realized they left a vacuum hose off on accident.

Thanks for all the info; I have begun work on my truck because its out of warranty (little work items) I have done brakes and CV boots so to actually carry a little part for $135 is not a bad idea for me. I drive a toyota because of the reliability and I am planning a cross country trip so for my peace of mind it helps. I have not gone to the Scan gauge thing yet; are these expensive? to reset codes is it complicated or lots of steps involved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom