What is the difference between 97 LX450 and a 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the mechanical difference between FJ80 and 97 LX450? I came across a LX450 with 175,000 miles, good condition, factory locker for $5800. Does this sound like a OK price? I have been really wanting a 4Runner for MPG. But i have always liked the 80s. With lockers i figure i could probably do anything i need, box stock with good tires. I know the MPG would suck. Do you think i could get 15MPG highway if i keep it at 60MPH? Mostly i want to know if there is any parts that will be higher priced or harder to get to repair with the Lexus over the Toyota.

Lexus LX450 Differences

• Revised Audio System with sub-woofer in the center console.
  • Optional factory installed cell phone.
  • Softer suspension.
  • Body cladding on doors, fenders and tailgate.
  • Rear bumper corner pieces are bigger and the rear cross member is coverer with a plastic trim piece. Mud flaps are two-tone colored and not interchangeable with an Toyota
  • Auto Climate Control
  • Softer leather on seats and additional sound proofing.
Shamelessly stolen from Slee Offroad

Check out the FAQ sticky also

You should read it

The LX 450 came out for 96 and 97 only. It has the same basic mechanicals. Differences are pretty much cosmetic/comfort items. Body cladding, wood grain interior, upgraded stereo, climate control. Who cares? They all wheel the same. I would buy it for that price if it checks out OK. John

the LX-specific things like headlights, cladding, seat foam etc. are somewhat more expensive

but honestly, if you are concerned about gas mileage, get another vehicle

the LX-specific things like headlights, cladding, seat foam etc. are somewhat more expensive

but honestly, if you are concerned about gas mileage, get another vehicle

MPG are important to me. But the 4Runners are only 18-20MPG. Which is very acceptable to me. But then again i will be paying a few thousand more for the 4Runner. So it kind of becomes a bit of a wash. Also I honestly drive like grandpa. So i am happy to bump down the road at 60-65mph. This will mostly be my DD. My comute to work is about 8 miles. On my days off some times i do drive a hour or so to go MTN bike and things like that. That will burn some gas. But will it be much more than the 4Runner would at 20MPG?

I have a 04 4.0 runner. it avg. 16 mpg. All OEM. 90% backroads. 80 feels much more like a truck as the runner feels like a car

This will mostly be my DD. My comute to work is about 8 miles.

we drive the 80 to work, some 7 miles - 11-13 mpg according to the factory speedo, on 285 tires, no correction for tire size - just sayin'

In urban stop n go traffic I'm happy to get 10mpg. In cooler weather its often 9mpg. In the evenings without traffic, same roads, I get 12mpg. Highway is almost always 14mpg regardless of speed or traffic.

So if you're concerned with mpg you should drive something else.

My commute is 10 miles round trip = 1 gallon of fuel = $6/day because our gas costs more than anywhere else in North America.

Not that I don't care about mpg, I'm happy paying the extra few hundred dollars a year so I can enjoy driving my 80 everywhere I go.

The only parts difference that I've noticed so far is that some fitment guides may list a more complete list for the TLC than the LX. An example is Bilstein shocks. They list none for the LX but do list for the TLC.

So in a nutshell if looking for a part, look up parts for TLC if none show for LX.

You do want to get the electrical manual for the LX. It has a few more bells and whistles re climate control and stereo.

Now to recap:

Cladding - plastic
Headlights are different and so's the grill
Phone, Climate control
Different wheels and wheel centers
not sure I buy into the softer springs - I think that's a rumour
Same with the leather although the trim is different
I've see 80's apart and I think they have the same level of sound proofing too.
An awesome 4 watt sub
CD changer
Factory hitch wiring has a Lexus trailer plug
and an "L"

For all of this you paid $20,000 more and that's the biggest difference

Interesting to note: when I was looking for my 80 I noticed that the Landcruiser prices were higher. I think people are afraid of the "luxury brand" and prices are lower because of this.

this is a minor and probably meaningless point, but i think the 40th anniversary and the collectors edition LC's had the auto climate control.

.. not sure I buy into the softer springs - I think that's a rumour Same with the leather
When I swapped my springs out at 200k with a set a used 96 LC low mileage springs I physically notices the windings tails were clocked differently on the top coil, almost 180. I didn't bother noticing the height difference since I knew mine sagged. My LX always had a soft ride I felt. I replaced with OEM LC shocks (also different) and noticed right away that the ride was not as soft as my LX was at new or near new. It didn't feel like a Lexus ride anymore. That is of course seat of the pants.

The leather itself I could also feel there was a softness difference between my LX and the LC. Of course I could easily point that to the fact my wife had the truck detailed twice a month since we bought her in 97. The pattern on the seat AND the foam inserts are different for the LX.

The center console is different both externally and internally between the models. The LCS didn't get the mid speaker and grill and the LX lost interior space.

The only difference between an 80 and 450 that matters is the inclusion the LX allows into the very exclusive Pink Panty 80 Club.....well, that and ~120 additional sheet metal penetrations that'll expose when removing the Pink Panty's lace.

Chris, tell the truth, after watching the LX's pink panties hit the floor, how many of those "penetrations" were your doing ;) No judgements here buddy. We've all done bad things to our trucks...IN our trucks. :flipoff2:

I plugged all 162 penetration points in the Pink Panty possible.

Some were hard to get good penetration, some were hard to fill, and even some required reaching around to even feel the bottom of the hole.

Some required funky positioning, due to the inherent curvatures, some were in and out.

Took a long time, only to sporadically cover what was left exposed in a cheap, stark white coating, a contrast to the creaminess of the body behind.

Edited: Feel should've been "fill" in all instances.

image-871877921.jpg

image-1044225612.jpg

Side note:

Sure hope Santa's coming tonight....

image-871877921.jpg

image-1044225612.jpg

I'd say get the 80 over the 4runner. You can easily get 15mpg on the hwy in the 80. I average 12 in mine but I do mostly city driving and a LOT of traffic here. While cruising at 60 on a flat my Ultragauge shows 15-16 instant mpg. For $5800 thats a fair price as long as it doesnt need anything major done to it right now.

My 80 is the best Mtb rig I've ever owned (since you said that is your weekend fun). It handles a 4 up Thule rack off the back full of DH bikes without a problem along with the 4 guys that go with them. My buddies 4 runner is nowhere near as stable with the same load and four of us are definitely not as comfortable during shuttle runs.

I plugged all 162 penetration points in the Pink Panty possible.

Some were hard to get good penetration, some were hard to fill, and even some required reaching around to even feel the bottom of the hole.

Some required funky positioning, due to the inherent curvatures, some were in and out.

Took a long time, only to sporadically cover what was left exposed in a cheap, stark white coating, a contrast to the creaminess of the body behind.

Edited: Feel should've been "fill" in all instances.

Side note:

Sure hope Santa's coming tonight....

'Mud needs a like button. Best post I've read in a while.

Fat-fingered on my iPhone using IH8MUD

Is the Lexus center console any taller than the LC? Meaning the height you rest your elbow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom