Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driving observations once you have had time. My OME suspension is like a tractor. But ofc, we are basically driving tractors. 😂
Alright....I've put a few hundred miles on the Bilstein shocks now and let the 'confirmation bias' wear off. I can't really find the right words to describe the difference. The best I can come up with, they are much more of a supple ride than the OME shocks were. This was noticeable from the get-go! If they get better with mileage, it is an even more of a WIN!

Alright....I've put a few hundred miles on the Bilstein shocks now and let the 'confirmation bias' wear off. I can't really find the right words to describe the difference. The best I can come up with, they are much more of a supple ride than the OME shocks were. This was noticeable from the get-go! If they get better with mileage, it is an even more of a WIN!
I’m only in about 25 or 30 miles so far and really enjoying them. And I’m comparing this with the cheaper yellow Bilsteins that came on the rig when I bought it. But it’s a massive difference, especially getting into steep driveways, over rolling speed bumps, and even a quick trailer or two.

80FF7B52-BE8E-477C-BC9D-9C8D1E28AB5A.jpeg

Seeing this makes me want a garage so bad. this would have been so much better than using some sub floor to swap an engine outside.

Dont hate on the open air garage (I'm just jealous too).....I'm gonna upgrade to add a tent/shelter so I can work in the rain this summer lol.

Following for more info on the biltsteins

Alright....I've put a few hundred miles on the Bilstein shocks now and let the 'confirmation bias' wear off. I can't really find the right words to describe the difference. The best I can come up with, they are much more of a supple ride than the OME shocks were. This was noticeable from the get-go! If they get better with mileage, it is an even more of a WIN

I’m only in about 25 or 30 miles so far and really enjoying them. And I’m comparing this with the cheaper yellow Bilsteins that came on the rig when I bought it. But it’s a massive difference, especially getting into steep driveways, over rolling speed bumps, and even a quick trailer or two.

View attachment 3614236
I am glad to hear this because my 40, the tractor that it is, drives like a "tractor". If Bilstein's would improve the ride I am all in. If I could only solve the wondering PS issue!

Added them too! Massive upgrade.

I am glad to hear this because my 40, the tractor that it is, drives like a "tractor". If Bilstein's would improve the ride I am all in. If I could only solve the wondering PS issue!
Wandering steering requires a wee bit more than shocks. Start with the basics.

For loose or wandering steering my 2 cents:
1. Turn steering wheel back and forth and see what moves under the hood, or have someone turn it while you watch
2. Make sure bolts that should be tightened are
3. Check your caster angle, order shims from @orangefj45 if needed
I did that and then tore out my entire steering this winter and rebuilt my FJ60 PS box. The first things made a much bigger difference than rebuilding the PS box. But you look like you've got a collection so I may be preaching to the choir here.

@GA Architect - I have the same Bilsteins and completely agree. I had Rough Country before and those were aptly named!

Taking a que from @Aloha Jen a few months ago - I stopped by Autozone yesterday and picked up a Blazer International B95 4" stop/turn/tail light kit. Being that I wired a trailer plug into my rear harness, this was a very simple 3rd Bake Light addition. I have a few extra hubcaps (front & rear), so I used one of the fronts, and inserted the light from backside of the hubcap. I'd say it sealed up good. Next was to wire in a simple harness from the new light to the trailer plug, but making sure I can swing the tire open. And here is the result.

IMG_4591.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

Dont hate on the open air garage (I'm just jealous too).....I'm gonna upgrade to add a tent/shelter so I can work in the rain this summer lol.

Following for more info on the biltsteins
My wife and I looked at a house today with a garage to buy but we just could not get the numbers to were we felt comfortable with the morgage. seems like for now the open air is the way to go for me. Sorry @GA Architect for hijacking. Love that third brake light idea. I am thinking about getting one for myself.

Taking a que from @Aloha Jen a few months ago - I stopped by Autozone yesterday and picked up a Blazer International B95 4" stop/turn/tail light kit. Being that I wired a trailer plug into my rear harness, this was a very simple 3rd Bake Light addition. I have a few extra hubcaps (front & rear), so I used one of the fronts, and inserted the light from backside of the hubcap. I'd say it sealed up good. Next was to wire in a simple harness from the new light to the trailer plug, but making sure I can swing the tire open. And here is the result.

View attachment 3616905...View attachment 3616906

View attachment 3616912
Awesome. I hadn’t seen her post but was considering the same addition when I get another hubcap on the spare. Was picturing a smoked light that also has reverse LEDs incorporated.

Maybe wire one of those obnoxious strobe units to it for extra attention

View attachment 3616905...View attachment 3616906

View attachment 3616912

Is that an LED or Incandescent?

Is that an LED or Incandescent?
Me, Mr Cheap'O - I'm using the $13 Incandescent..... :hillbilly:

I'll say this. I had my wife stand behind my rig last night to let me know if they were working. With the running lights on, no big deal with brightness, but with the brake depressed, it about blinded her.

Also, an installation note. The light & rubber gasket wasn't installed from the front. The lip on the light is a little wider than the opening of the hubcap, and doesn't fit. Hence me installing it from the backside of the hubcap.

These are the ones I used, very inexpensive on Amazon and they are sealed very well. The seem to be fairly good quality and have a retro like feel to that that goes with my incandescent taillights.
IMG_2853.jpeg

The 5inch size seems to be perfect for sitting right on top of the OEM open hubcap and comes with rubber gasket.
IMG_1191.jpeg

1BC2C37B-EE87-45F2-ACE4-3E393B9E9C5F.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

They are very bright when you brake, people will definitely see you stop in front of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom